Author Topic: Expanding needs in my homestudio!  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Expanding needs in my homestudio!
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:22:50 AM »
Well i'm on holiday and the ebay virus has bitten me.  ::)

I'm searching for some advise of you guys.
I saw a complete Protools 24 Mix3 system for 450euros
including

1x G4 OSX 9 protools 5.1
3x888/24
1xmix core
2xmix farm
2x15" monitors
2xDSUB25 /AES-EBU snakes

Don't know the specs of the G4 but do you think it's a good offer ?
What should i ask the seller ?
It would be my first experience with ProTools...

Thanks
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: Expanding needs in my homestudio!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 02:25:52 AM »
The alternative would be to install a more simple Pulsar II Plus card into my MDD. Someone are selling it for 120 euros...has also DSP's and flexible routing options which would be very handy in my homestudio setup.

*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:23:09 AM »
Hey,

The offer of 450 Euros might be a bit pricey...I saw three cards x1 d24 (same as mix core w/o DSP) and x2 DSP Farms for 100 Euros. The 888/24 interfaces usually go for almost nothing, going for 25-30 pounds a pop. They do have bad reputation on the forums...that might explain it!

You have many options, if you need hardware DSP you can go to ProTools or Ensoniq Paris Pro. I would recommend the latter, excellent included effects ranging from compressors to some *stunning* EQ.

You also have specialized DSP cards that work with several DAWs (TC Powercore PCI, amongst others). Also, you have excellent firewire interfaces from MOTU and the Nuendo Audiolink mobile or desktop recording system.

How many inputs/outputs do you need? Will you be mixing in the box? If so, do you use a lot of plugins?

Let me know and we will figure something out!

Best,

- MusicWorks

P.S.I love Pro Tools, but it has a boring interface :)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 07:54:59 AM »

How many inputs/outputs do you need? Will you be mixing in the box? If so, do you use a lot of plugins?

Yes Philgood... Inquiring minds need to know this type of info!😁

Do you do all midi... All audio... Or a mixture?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 08:12:34 AM »
I've been having fun with an expanded PT rig but I'm strictly audio these days.

As far as the cards go, HD cards are EVERYWHERE it seems while the 'MIX' cards  seem to be showing up in spirts... a little less frequently.

Buying a 'complete' system like you're referring to can be an easy way to jump in and hit the ground running...   ;D

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 08:14:18 AM »
He might wanted to use it for cd ripping :)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 08:28:02 AM »
Well.
I want a good front-end for my Mac with 16-32 analog inputs so that i can integrate my existing outboard gear like my Roland synth, the two drummachines and the Akai sampler without needing a external mixer (i would actually prefer one but i haven't the space for it).

I actually have two steinberg mr816 but there are mac osx only.

i could use them to pass through adat to the mac so that i would only need a simpler pci card with double adat ports(i mentioned the pulsar II i saw selling for 120 euros and have the advantage of having some DSP power).
Or if i want to go the Protools route i understand i would need at least one adat bridge( they sell cheaper i think).

The point is i have to share our livingroom with the family so my problem is i can't put it all together.
I actually have three places distributed through the room.
one typical computer table with one PC and the MDD Mac together sharing Keyboard,mouse and monitor through an KVM switch connected one of the Steinberg 8channel firewire box to the PC. i only use it at the moment to have a good  amplifier for my headphones when i'm listening to my music collection on the PC and have connected also one mic to it for video conferences. quite overkill...yes. also the mac is doing nothing there. i put it there to get everything installed and working but want to move it now where i have the keyboard and other outboard gear.
on the other side where the keyboard sits i have my dj table with the other steinberg interface

...it's good that i'm forced to try to describe it now...i think there is a lot of optimization possible.

i already have a front-end with the steinbergs but i really would like to compliment the mac with something internal(pci card) as i see it like a more robust option for a fixed installation. i bought the steinberg for being a mobile recording rig together with my G4 powerbook but finally i'm doing close to nothing with them so at the moment they are more some kind of distribution preamplifier for the music listening or dj sessions.
what i thought of was moving the mac to the keyboard and being the center of the music making part of the studio without compromising the actual setup of the rest.
i think this post is more an exercise for myself to get some ideas out of it what i want to do so i'm sorry if i bored you too much or this isn't of any value for no one else....to be continued (i'm afraid of...)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:54:37 AM by Philgood »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »
If decide to do the PT thing and using synths/ drum machines/etc... It would probably be easier to use 882/20s and or 1622s for interfaces as it would avoid the XLR connections on the 888s... You could keep your eyes open for system with those components that might pop up for cheap!😁