Author Topic: Trouble uninstalling Stuffit Deluxe 7.0.3  (Read 5941 times)

Offline Sanek

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Trouble uninstalling Stuffit Deluxe 7.0.3
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »
Hi, guys!
Please help!
I've downloaded (from here) and installed this app thinking I had an unarchiving issue with my 5.5 Stuffit which ultimately resolved and 5.5 was not an issue.
But 7.0.3 added this f... magic menu. And it's impossible to remove or uninstall.
I've trashed 7.0.3 and cleaned the trash.
I know maybe it's stupid but it was emotional because I couldn't find any way to get rid of 7.0.3
How can I remove all traces of 7.0.3 now? (if at all possible)
And re-set full 5.5 functionality.

Is it possible?

Offline miracman

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Trouble uninstalling Stuffit Deluxe 7.0.3
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »
Not entirely sure here, because I don't have exactly that setup installed, but you should have at least 5 preferences files starting with com.stuffit.(something-and then ending with).plist.
   - That's in Sytem Folder/Preferences

You will have for sure "StuffitEngineShell" (in System Folder/Extensions), which is part of 7.0.3, as opposed to the old Stuffit Engineā„¢ extension.

There's probably a True Finder Intergration in System Folder/Control Panels.  (It might have been renamed otherwise after 6.5, but look for something aladdinely stuffitee looking icon.)

There's also an item of interest in System Folder/Contextual Menu Items.

But your real concern is probably located in Sytem Folder/Application Support, where you would find a folder (in my case it's Aladdin), where you will find a Stuffit and a Stuffit Express folder.  The "stuffit" folder is where all the Magic menu items and extensions used to be.

Just do a command+i on those system folder items and the information window will tell you if the item you are looking at is related to 7.0.3 or 5.5.  (That being said DON'T trash the extension folder called Stuffit Plug-ins, even if all its items are said to be 7.0.3 items.)  I mean this because I can't assure you that the 7.0.3 installer didn't replace old 5.5 files which would just make sense.

Obviously the simplest thing to do is just to command+f in finder, which launches Sherlock and search your system folder with it for "Stuffit" then for "Aladdin", and do a command+i on the items it finds.  (But like I said don't trash a file that is located in the Extensions/Stuffit Plug-Ins folder... unless your plan is to reinstall the app)

Or you could do such a search and trash everything you find and then reinstall 5.5.

I hope this was helpful.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:52 AM »
Yeah I wasn't crazy about how that whole 'magic trip' took over the desktop either... It HAS come in handy but I don't use it THAT much! I've left mine, as it doesn't seem to be causing any problems and it's probably more trouble that it's worth for me to try removing it.

Yes miracman... that seems like helpful info!

Sanek... keep us posted on how you make out! ;D

Offline Sanek

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »
Hi, guys!
Been busy producing...
Miracman, thanx for the info!! Really appreciate the knowledge!
Will follow your advice! I prefer to trash both versions and then reinstall 5.5. Think it's the safest way out. Any ideas where I can download it?

Offline Sanek

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
Sure Mehappy, will post the results!

Offline Sanek

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
Did everything, like Miracman advised - problem solved!
Thanx, man!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 06:49:21 AM »
Thats good news! ;D