Author Topic: SUPERB Discussion on improving OS 9.2.2 Stability...  (Read 8335 times)

Offline artphotodude

• Valued Member
SUPERB Discussion on improving OS 9.2.2 Stability...
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:28:33 AM »
Just found this AMAZING Article about the stability problems of OS 9.2.2  versus older systems like 8.6 and ways to improve it. 
http://www.sunrisepage.com/computers/macclassic/macos9.htm

Using older (better) drivers for some Graphic Extensions or

things like refreshing the:

Classic
Classic Support
Classic Support UI
Finder
Login
MacOS ROM
Panels
System File

Can easily fix screwed up systems without full install and they can even be beefed up to be more stable with ResEdit.

This is one to KEEP!

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member

supernova777

Re: SUPERB Discussion on improving OS 9.2.2 Stability...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:09:59 AM »
honestly.. i would take what the sunrise guy says with a grain of salt considerign he has other pages that border on insanity to do with aliens + tin foil hats + conspiracies..

this is one to SKIP

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 08:44:18 AM »
Yeah next thng you know some alien race wrote mac os or planted the idea in jobs head to infiltrate the planet.

Offline artphotodude

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 08:56:52 AM »
That is why I hang with Mac People!  ;)

Nowhere else can you find snark and arrogance this off-the-cuff.  None of that "Be nice and respectful" crap one must endure in the Linux forums!

But seriously, the usefulness of this article is in its advice to update the system files, when they have bloated/gone-wrong.  Nowhere else have I found (after being on OS9 for 15 years) this advice, and when you start running into "can't initiate Interface-lib..." errors, the typical advice is to do a complete reinstall. 

At our studio, we have a beige G3 that still runs software for an Alto film scanner (used for movie theatre slides) and this system has run un-rebuilt for 12+ years on 8.6.  But our other vintage work-station that runs legacy apps from OS9 (a G4 MDD) practically needs to have OS9 reworked every 4-5 times it gets used (is so bad we have gotten into the habbit of just recopying the system to the drive every month or so - current work is saved and restored with Applescript).

OS9.2.2 is very buggy, compared to 8.6, and it is nice to finally find some acknowledgment of that fact, and actual solutions to the problem, since some apps demand this last p!$$-poor version of Classic OS.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
OS9.2.2 is very buggy, compared to 8.6, and it is nice to finally find some acknowledgment of that fact, and actual solutions to the problem, since some apps demand this last p!$$-poor version of Classic OS.

As Mactron pointed out (in one of the links I put above); the sunrise report is more applicable to G3 based PPCs. So yes, on a G3, Mac OS 8.6 might be the more stable way to go; G4s will obviously benefit from 9.2.2

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 10:32:05 AM »
find out the guys name.. and look a bit closer at google with his name and if you are good at researching/scanning information like i am u will find what i found.. he has some other site that is about cell phones causing cancer or something and he does some tests with some type of tin foil hat im dead serious
i dont have time or i would post the link.. the sunrise guy's sanity is questionable.. trust me on that

this has been discussed already here... do a search for os9.2 or sunrise protoolsleguy has brough tthis up a million times ..
i cant belive u are posting this like its new info.. i mean.. cool.. if u didnt know. im just surprised u wouldnt have already noticed that here if u actually read the content on this site

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 06:57:39 PM »

do a search for os9.2 or sunrise protoolsleguy has brough tthis up a million times ..

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1011.0

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1214.0

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=651.0

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=992.0

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1213.0

@Chris 1000000 - 5 = 999995  Where are those 999995 posts?  ;D

Chris IIRC you were searching for 8.6 for Sawtooths and you find it.

Maybe it is time to compare them both. I think ALL G3s are faster using 8.6 and ALL G4s are faster running 9.2.2.

Also, most old school users (As MacTron) had made its own 8.7, half 8.6 half 9.2.2

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-87-sarah
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 07:15:10 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 10:06:46 AM »
yep i had to use some extensions from 9.1+ to make firewire work with my wd passport studio drive (which was a fw800 drive, via fw400-fw800 connector)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 10:45:25 PM »
But our other vintage work-station that runs legacy apps from OS9 (a G4 MDD) practically needs to have OS9 reworked every 4-5 times it gets used (is so bad we have gotten into the habbit of just recopying the system to the drive every month or so

maybe there is something wrong with your hardware or with the way your are using the Mac OS (for example a buggy application?).

unless you start treating OS9 like a unix system and press all mouse buttons at once while cubase and explorer are both running at the CPU limit, MacOS9 can run for a week without restarting. and the only reason i know for reinstalling the system is when some third party installer has been overwriting something or after a harddrive failure.
insert arbitrary signature here

macStuff

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 06:31:02 AM »
At our studio, we have a beige G3 that still runs software for an Alto film scanner (used for movie theatre slides) and this system has run un-rebuilt for 12+ years on 8.6.  But our other vintage work-station that runs legacy apps from OS9 (a G4 MDD) practically needs to have OS9 reworked every 4-5 times it gets used (is so bad we have gotten into the habbit of just recopying the system to the drive every month or so - current work is saved and restored with Applescript).

if u ask me, the buggyness is a result of improper system install
ie: using a os9 install that came with an imac.. on a g4..
or using a yosemite b+w install on a sawtooth..
or using a cd that came shipped with a sawtooth on a 4x AGP mac..
or using a Quiksilver installer on an mdd..

ie: using an OLDER OS installer on a NEWER machine = FAIL

THAT is the same mistake alot of people do with g4s and
then they end up selling them for 20$ on kijiji because they
dont know how to make it work properly...

macos9lives needs some graphic designers to make visual guide or something to simplify and keep people from making the same mistakes over and over

« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:10:38 AM by macStuff »