Author Topic: Mac OS 9 Cluster computing: Pooch  (Read 12372 times)

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Mac OS 9 Cluster computing: Pooch
« on: July 09, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Just reading about a iMac G5 cluster in http://www.instructables.com/id/iCluster-Build-an-imac-Cluster/ found that Pooch http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/top.shtml  is a classic and universal app.

Look at 152 G4s (56 Power Mac Dual-Processor G4/533's + 20 Power Mac Dual-Processor G4/450's via 100BaseT Switched not gigabit ) getting about 200 Gigaflops on OS9

http://daugerresearch.com/clusters/USCCluster/USCMacClusterBenchmark.shtml

Pooch

http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/screenshots.shtml

The following demonstrates how to launch a parallel job using Pooch on both OS 9 and OS X 10.3.

After selecting New Job... from Pooch's File menu, you can begin setting up your parallel computing job by dragging your parallel application, in this case the Power Fractal app, from the Finder to the Job Window.

Then click on Select Nodes... to open and select nodes from the Network Scan Window.

Finally, click on Launch Job in the Job Window.

Congratulations! Your parallel job should now be executing.

Power Fractal Software

http://daugerresearch.com/fractals/powerfractal.shtml

High-performance parallel software utilizing:

AltiVec, a.k.a. the Velocity Engine, Multiprocessing ("MP") and multi-Core, SSE & SSE2, Universal (Intel & PowerPC), MPI over TCP/IP, via MacMPI_XUB, Carbon (OS 9 & X)

New in version 1.4: As a Universal Application, this code can utilitze large, mixed clusters of PowerPC G3s, G4s, G5s and Intel Cores simultaneously, making this the first application to utilize Universal Clustering. (Requires Pooch v1.7.) See the the DR product line for more examples.

We also provide a Carbon CFM version of Power Fractal that requires Mac OS 10.2 or later, or Mac OS 8.5 or later with CarbonLib 1.2 or later,

New in version 1.3: This app's parallelization organization has been rewritten to be optimized for large clusters of PowerPC G5s, enabling it to achieve over 1.21 TeraFlop!

1 node

4 nodes

More Parallel apps

http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/parallelapps.shtml

Fresnel Diffraction for Arbitrary Two-Dimensional Apertures

http://daugerresearch.com/fresnel/index.shtml

Also available are: A Carbon CFM version of Fresnel Diffraction Explorer v1.3 (Beta) (~248k, for OS 9 and X, parallelized for Macintosh clusters using Pooch). You can also download the the 680x0+FPU only version 1.2.1 (~208k).

"Plug-and-Play" Parallel Computing:
Build Your Own Parallel Computing Cluster in Under an Hour

http://daugerresearch.com/media/applecanadavideo.shtml

Pooch requires networked Macintoshes running OS 9 with CarbonLib 1.2 or later or OS X 10.1 or later with 4 MB of available RAM and 2 MB of disk space.

Dauger Research, Inc., was incorporated and founded by Dr. Dean E. Dauger. Dr. Dauger is the award-winning author of Atom in a Box and Fresnel Diffraction Explorer and has co-authored the award-winning Kai's Power Tools software from 1992 to 1994. After completing his Ph. D. in physics, he founded Dauger Research, Inc., to bridge the divides between the scientifically and technically complex and the mainstream by making high-performance computation and visualization easy to use and accessible to users.

© Copyright 2001-2011 Dauger Research, Inc. All rights reserved. PO Box 3074, Huntington Beach, CA 92605 USA
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Mac OS 9 Cluster computing: Pooch
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »
QuickTime Video Compression Acceleration using Clusters

http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/quicktime.shtml

The new Pooch QuickTime Exporter plug-in automatically parallelizes video compression from video-editing applications, including high-definition. It extracts the source video data, partitions them, then assigns other nodes their data. The compressed video data is then returned for sorting and assembly into the final movie. Its turnaround time is faster than batch-scheduling because it accelerates the encoding of each movie.

Pooch QuickTime Exporter component - v1.3.1 (292 kB .zip download) Requires Pooch

Requirements

Intel-based and/or PowerPC-based Macintoshes
    connected with a 100BaseT Ethernet switch or faster (Gigabit for HD)
    2 GB of RAM installed on source machine
    OS X 10.4 or later
    QuickTime 7 or later
    Pooch v1.8.1 or later. 

Can OS9 be a "worker" (with pooch 1.8.1) for a cluster quicktime exporter?

It seems that every node has to be on Pooch 1.8.1 and have QT7 and OS X 10.4 or later. Or all this req. are only for the source machine?

Maybe the cluster can still be OS9 only and the source OSX machine is the only OSX part needed. 

The only G4 that can hold 2Gigs of Ram is the Sawtooth. And in OS9 most say more than 1gig is counterproductive.

I would love to see a cluster making a symphony...  ;D.

Maybe with a cluster MacTron would finally get enought polyphony for his works.  ;D
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »
ouch i wouldnt want to be paying the electric bill with too many g5's running in a cluster!!

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 03:43:52 AM »
QuickTime Video Compression Acceleration using Clusters

http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/quicktime.shtml

The new Pooch QuickTime Exporter plug-in automatically parallelizes video compression from video-editing applications, including high-definition. It extracts the source video data, partitions them, then assigns other nodes their data. The compressed video data is then returned for sorting and assembly into the final movie. Its turnaround time is faster than batch-scheduling because it accelerates the encoding of each movie.

Pooch QuickTime Exporter component - v1.3.1 (292 kB .zip download) Requires Pooch

Requirements

Intel-based and/or PowerPC-based Macintoshes
    connected with a 100BaseT Ethernet switch or faster (Gigabit for HD)
    2 GB of RAM installed on source machine
    OS X 10.4 or later
    QuickTime 7 or later
    Pooch v1.8.1 or later. 

It seems that every node has to be on Pooch 1.8.1 and have QT7 and OS X 10.4 or later. Or all this req. are only for the source machine?

Maybe the cluster can still be OS9 only and the source OSX machine is the only OSX part needed. 

The only G4 that can hold 2Gigs of Ram is the Sawtooth. And in OS9 most say more than 1gig is counterproductive.

I would love to see a cluster making a symphony...  ;D.

Maybe with a cluster MacTron would finally get enought polyphony for his works.  ;D

Need a test run. Maybe apple incorporated this stuff in there cluster app :)  look at the compressor for osx and the later builtin cluster functions.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 03:59:36 AM »
Interesting ...
But it didn't worked for me ...  :'(

Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 10:10:27 AM »
I posted it last month over at the "Dual CPU thread". Perhaps there are more informations than at the Pooch webpage.

http://exodus.physics.ucla.edu/appleseed/appleseed9.html
There you can find the software even for Mac OS 8.5 computers.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »

what you can always do is using one or more computers to calculate or render stuff, when it has to be faster than possible on MacOS9.

the only requirements for that are

1. the app exists for this other OS (most likely OSX or an other unix)

2. a way how to transfer files

3. either using a monitor for thze render server(s) or using desktop remote.

teamviewer or KDX are you friend here (or even something from apple, haha)

there are also some apps which support it natively to connect a OS9 lient to a render server with OSX or windows (the only one i know for sure is cinema4d, not sure about after effects and mathematica now)
insert arbitrary signature here

Online Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 03:42:49 PM »
Interesting ...

Probably your Spartan Control Panel/Extension set has something to do with.  ???

OFFTOPIC

By the way, I miss the Time for True M.A.R.L. posts, and a benchmark between the 2 machines used in your cluster can kill some  ALL the myths  about single vs double and 1 Gig vs 1.5 Gig in OS9 environment. They both are MDDs and >1.5 GHz, and you could swap memories.  At least you owe us a Kontakt benchmark.  :D

Jokes aside, we miss those post that show real DAW benchmarks, and the Single vs Double CPU and 1 Gig vs 1.5 Gig using the machine as a pure Sampler post from you is missed.

Dear Mactron, If I were you, I would use a white 680x0 mac for PURE midi with that quick Logic you have told us and 2 midi cables, one to the single and the other to the dual. You shouldn't run out of polyphony, at least with your last demos style. If you try to make something orchestral more advanced, maybe a 3rd machine is needed, but I believe 3 G4s should be enough even for Danny Elfman...  ;D

Musicians use Clusters in a different way than Cluster Scientific Computation. OS9 DAW users need more midi interfaces than ethernet connection IMHO.

what you can always do is using one or more computers to calculate or render stuff, when it has to be faster than possible on MacOS9.

the only requirements for that are

1. the app exists for this other OS (most likely OSX or an other unix)

2. a way how to transfer files

3. either using a monitor for thze render server(s) or using desktop remote.

teamviewer or KDX are you friend here (or even something from apple, haha)

VNC is serving me well. At this time, all my DAWs have a monitor hooked anyway.

My setup: 1 Hack Quad with Focusrite LS56 with PT 10HD hooked to a 32" Samsung 1366x768, 1 G4 MDD 867Dual with Audiomedia III and Edirol UM 1Ex(USB midi)Logic 6/PT 5LE to a 17" AOC CRT, 1 G4 DA GHz Dual with Digi 001 Logic 4/PT 5LE to the same 32" and another 17" AOC CRT. Any DAW can be Master sync. All DAW ADAT or SPDIF synced with LS56 clock as DieHard suggested.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 04:02:55 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:14:47 PM »
is there are download location for the OS9 version?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 08:23:51 AM »
is there are download location for the OS9 version?

Yes, there it is:
http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/PoochDemoInstaller.sit

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
Interesting ...

Probably your Spartan Control Panel/Extension set has something to do with.  ???

No, it doesn't. I had check it out with a fresh 9.2.2 installation.

OFFTOPIC

By the way, I miss the Time for True M.A.R.L. posts, and a benchmark between the 2 machines used in your cluster can kill some  ALL the myths  about single vs double and 1 Gig vs 1.5 Gig in OS9 environment. They both are MDDs and >1.5 GHz, and you could swap memories.  At least you owe us a Kontakt benchmark.  :D

Jokes aside, we miss those post that show real DAW benchmarks, and the Single vs Double CPU and 1 Gig vs 1.5 Gig using the machine as a pure Sampler post from you is missed.

I have posted my opinion and test about this topics in several occasions.
In brief:
About RAM: My main computer (a G4 MDD) has 1.5 GB of RAM instaled for the last 15 years, without a single problem attributable to this fact.
About Duals: Double heat, whereas only some speed increase in half dozen of Apps.

Dear Mactron, If I were you, I would use a white 680x0 mac for PURE midi with that quick Logic you have told us and 2 midi cables,

I have done this in nineties ...
Why did you think I should do it again nowadays?