Author Topic: Looking for a Mix Core card and cable  (Read 3835 times)

Offline luoneier

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
Looking for a Mix Core card and cable
« on: June 21, 2015, 06:23:22 PM »
Hi,

I have collected everything I need for an OS9 Pro Tools Mix rig other than the Mix Core card and the canle to connect to the 888 (I'm also confused about the need for a ribbon cable to connect the Core and Farm cards together as I thought I'd seen these work together without one in the past).

I'm based in Shanghai currently but happy to pay whatever the shipping costs are as they'r difficult to find out here.

Thanks!
Neil

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Re: Looking for a Mix Core card and cable
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
Yes you have to have the node ribbon cable for the system as described to work. I see them all the time on ebay, you can also find the cable to run from your 888 to your mix core card on ebay
 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digidesign-5-Node-Tdm-Ribbon-Cable-/290820926967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b6472df7

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:00:19 AM »
Yes as RTIInstaller has stated, you NEED a 'TDM Ribbon Cable' in order to connect additional cards to your system... It allows the additional cards to share data along the TDM bus.
 The Ribbon Cables come in varying sizes with different numbers of connectors (referred to as 'Nodes')... the most common being the '5 Node' size. A '5 Node' cable can be used with only a 'Core' and 'Farm' by just leaving the last 3 nodes unconnected... be aware however that Ribbon Cable AND Cards both have polarity markings (triangles) that must be observed.

The other cable you need is the 'Interface Cable' which will connect your 888's 50 pin connector to the 'Audio Interface Port' on your Core/Farm card.

If you happen to be interested in making your own cable, here is some info.

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=786.0

All of the software to get you going is here on the OS9Lives site.

Offline luoneier

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 08:11:07 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.

I now have the card but am still looking for an interface cable and a ribbon cable, if anyone has either to sell please do get in touch. I can pay via paypal. There is an interface cable on ebay at the moment but the seller is asking for an extremely high amount for shipping which would make the total cost of the cable the most expensive part of the rig...

Thanks!