Author Topic: Intermittent TDM Chorus problems  (Read 9590 times)

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
Intermittent TDM Chorus problems
« on: June 15, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »
This is driving me bonkers
Mix Core
Mix Core
Mix Farm
Mix Farm
DSP Farm
In a 7 slot chassis
My problem is that occasional one or more of my tracks will simply stop playing, as if it is muted, I finally traced it down to TDM chorus. If I delete the chorus for the hung track the sound will come back on, on that track. Sometimes things will be just fine and I if I add a chorus to a track most all of the other chorus's will fail, and I sometimes get the never ending hand tapping its fingers in place of my cursor. the only other problem like this I have had is that bomb factory la2 will be asleep when I open a session so i have to just click on each of them to wake them up, I also see this happen with sans amp. The other plugins in the list, no problem there I have noticed.   :-/

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Intermittent TDM Chorus problems
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:58:44 AM »
I haven't had a track stop working mid session but I DO have to play the game with the bomb factory rtas plugs, where you have to either click them on and off or remove them and reinsert them. I remember having to do that years ago too.

Not sure what the fix would be but when I use a bomb factory rtas plug I'll save the settings so If it gets stubborn when I open a session I can just quickly reinsert.

So this is happening for you with a TDM plug?? and DURING a session?... OR are you just discovering that the track is muted sometime during the session??

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 03:31:09 PM »
I haven't had a track stop working mid session but I DO have to play the game with the bomb factory rtas plugs, where you have to either click them on and off or remove them and reinsert them. I remember having to do that years ago too.

Not sure what the fix would be but when I use a bomb factory rtas plug I'll save the settings so If it gets stubborn when I open a session I can just quickly reinsert.

So this is happening for you with a TDM plug?? and DURING a session?... OR are you just discovering that the track is muted sometime during the session??

It happens when:
1- I already have more than one chorus in a session and I add a chorus (stereo or mono) to another track.
2- I delete a chorus from a track, one or more chorus's on other track may fail.
3- I open a session that has more than one chorus in the session. One or more of those tracks with chorus may or may not fail.

I have noticed that with mono chorus you can have three per DSP, I am thinking that perhaps since 3 chorus's are sharing a single DSP if one fails it affects the others

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »
I can't remember ever using the Digi TDM chorus but I'll give it a try to see if it gives me similar problems.

If that plug has something special that you need you could always 'print' it to another track, Make 'inactive' and 'hide' the original (in case you need to readjust)... not the greatest work flow but not THAT big of a deal either... until you find a more well behaved plug that will do what you need.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 07:43:30 AM »
Well it appears that I don't have Digi TDM chorus... no RTAS either, just AudioSuite version.  ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »
I see the version on this site which is 'Digidesign D-FX Chorus v1.2.1' but that's the AudioSuite version... That's not the version you're talking about is it?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58:36 AM »
Just looked on this Digi ref page and don't see a TDM version there.

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/plugs/mixmac.cfm

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »
Just in case ;D

AudioSuite plug-ins are used to process and modify audio files on disk, rather than non- destructively in real time. Depending on how you configure a non-real-time AudioSuite plug- in, it will either create an entirely new audio file, or alter the original source audio file. Audio- Suite plug-ins can be used on all Pro Tools sys- tems.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
Just in case ;D

AudioSuite plug-ins are used to process and modify audio files on disk, rather than non- destructively in real time. Depending on how you configure a non-real-time AudioSuite plug- in, it will either create an entirely new audio file, or alter the original source audio file. Audio- Suite plug-ins can be used on all Pro Tools sys- tems.
Nope I have a whole list of TDM Plugins. Not audio suite not RTAS.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 08:45:44 AM »
Ok well I don't have that version so I'm not able to test at this time.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »
Ok well I don't have that version so I'm not able to test at this time.
These are HTDM plugins http://archive.digidesign.com/support/faq/htdm.html I didnt realize these were host based until now :-/

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 09:01:52 AM »
Can anyone recommend a great sounding chorus that is not "host based"

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 09:19:29 AM »
Ah H-ahh... Maybe I DO have that version! ;D

Soundblender is very cool but needs serious juice... TC Chorus maybe or a Waves version... Not really a chorus aficionado but I'll poke around on my system when I get a chance to see if I turn up anything interesting.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 10:12:16 AM »
Ah H-ahh... Maybe I DO have that version! ;D

Soundblender is very cool but needs serious juice... TC Chorus maybe or a Waves version... Not really a chorus aficionado but I'll poke around on my system when I get a chance to see if I turn up anything interesting.
You probobly mean "Pitch Blender"? That's one of my favorites.
I have TC chorus. My waves folder is broken and have not been able to get that sorted out yet, I think some of the files were deleted before I inherited this machine, So I always get the KS Waves cant find the waveshell DAE alert box that pops up when loading Tools.  The HTDM Chorus sounds really good as do some of the other HTDM plugins ,they are just not reliable if you use more than one of them in a session. I am reading through the Digi HDTM documentation, there are plugin settings to manipulate so perhaps the answer is buried in there someplace.

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 10:30:39 AM »
It says this in the HTDM documentation ---

Important to note: A side effect of the lower buffer size is a higher load on your host CPU. In extreme cases, you might not be able to reach the same level of performance achieved with the standard version of DirectConnect. If you experience excessive "low CPU" warnings, or even audio dropouts, we recommend going back to the standard 512 sample buffer version of DirectConnect.

A: The Pro Tools v5.1.1 for Mac installer puts a "standard" 512 sample buffer version of DirectConnect and Digidesign StreamManager into the Plug-Ins and Extensions folder, respectively. You will find a low-latency 128 sample buffer version of those components inside the "Beta/Bug Fix Software" folder on your Pro Tools v5.1.1 Mac CD ROM or downloaded from the DirectConnect downloads section of the Digidesign Web Site at www.digidesign.com/download

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »
I found the answer to my problem on this page http://archive.digidesign.com/download/dc/

Corrected Handling Of DirectConnect Nodes After A DSP Shuffle

TDM Systems Only

With previous releases it was possible to lose DirectConnect audio connections when working in large sessions and forcing a DSP shuffle by adding certain plug-ins or opening a session on a smaller system. This has been corrected and should no longer occur.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 10:47:35 AM »
Yeah... Pitchblender!

Glad you got it sorted out. Haven't used much Htdm... I'll have to investigate further.! ;D

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 11:45:39 AM »
Yeah... Pitchblender!

Glad you got it sorted out. Haven't used much Htdm... I'll have to investigate further.! ;D
If you do use HTDM make sure you install the 2003 digi release of DirectConnect and Digidesign StreamManager v5.1.1cs1. Otherwise you will have the same problems I was having

Offline RTIInstaller

• Veteran Member
  • Digidesign since 1994
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 11:42:28 PM »
Note! I have discovered that (this is the case with my G4 system) you can only run a total of 4 of any specific HTDM plugin type in a session.