Author Topic: Universal Restore.toast image issue  (Read 5990 times)

Offline rain2591

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
Universal Restore.toast image issue
« on: June 10, 2015, 03:08:08 AM »
The new Universal Restore toast image you can download from this forum has an issue, i have burnt it to cd and when i startup from it and it gets to OS 9 desktop it gives me an error message "Sorry, the desktop folder on the startup disk could not be created. Try unlocking the disk" and if i press the OK button on the error message it reboots the system again.

Has anyone else installed using the newly uploaded "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal (Developed by User: Blackholemac)"?

supernova777

Re: Universal Restore.toast image issue
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:32:49 AM »
try ensuring that u have a fresh disk that is healthy + ensure that its formatted as apple partition map partition type.. format it as Mac os Extended prior to trying to boot the cd
also ensure that theres no finder/drivesetup preferences that have specified the disk as read only???

just guessing

Offline rain2591

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:42:04 PM »
nope this does not work. The startup disk is the cd rom so it is trying to create a desktop folder on the startup disk hence it can't as it is read only.

I have tried this disc on 2 different macs and same results

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
Please PM Blackhole... I did not test his images; if they have issues, I can take them down for now

Offline rain2591

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
just PMd him and posted a link to this thread, i have tried image on 2 different compatible os 9.2.2 macs a ibook g3 900 and a iMac g4 700.

Offline Blackholemac

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 11:18:21 AM »
Downloaded and burned using Toast 5.2.3 on multiple pieces of Mac OS 9 bootable hardware. Burnt as a .toast image but made sure it was bootable in the Toast options.

Checked and verified that this image should work on iBook G3 900
Blackholemac
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 01:10:58 PM by Blackholemac »

Offline rain2591

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 02:16:50 PM »
okay, i can boot it anyways but whats up with the error message "Sorry, the desktop folder on the startup disk could not be created. Try unlocking the disk", did you not get this message? if not i will try burning it again but i burnt it using Burn on Mac OSX

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
Here's a guess: I've had issues with files and folders created in OSX turning up locked when moved to OS9 due to permissions settings in OSX.
These can appear locked in OS9 since OS9's file sharing permissions routines don't seem to grasp the more varied options in OSX.

Read the line below twice - The hangup here is that:
The OS is trying to create a new desktop folder on the startup disk that it can write to just as it would if the startup disk was a hard drive.

This is normal behavior - it's where the desktop file and the desktop DB goes etc. OS9 needs these to keep track of icons and file/folder relationships and stuff BUT, the permissions flags for the volume (the restore image) are reading locked and OS9 has no way to unlock them.

The simple fix for your problem is therefore: Burn the damn thing in OS9 using Toast or something and it will probably work…maybe…most likely…hopefully

Offline rain2591

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:18 AM »
many thanks GaryN, burning it in toast on OS 9 worked like a charm and no error message when i boot off the CD as the Startup Disk.

Thanks to all for help

Offline Blackholemac

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
I am glad to hear this worked. Oddly enough I created it about the same time as DieHard created his...he beat me by about 3 weeks or so to the punch. I hope that folks here like this compilation as it represented something I had wanted to do for a while. If anyone has issues with it, I'll do what I can but like most of you all, I have a day job and family. Working on this older stuff is a favorite because honestly troubleshooting older OS 9-based stuff seemed less stressful.

Anyway, hope all like this compilation.