Author Topic: Lexicon 300 NuBus w/Daughter Card  (Read 16749 times)

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Lexicon 300 NuBus w/Daughter Card
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:35:22 AM »
Hey guys!

Any of you using this? Preferably in Logic. I just got one and am about to set it up. I never even knew this thing existed back in the day I'm pretty stoked!

Any one with experience, software, extensions or advice appreciated. Also I'm planing on putting it in my Magma expansion chassis so anyone with experience on that super appreciated.

Offline SonikArchitects

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Lexicon 300 NuBus w/Daughter Card
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
Sick man!! Can you use it as a plugin too? Any chance you could share the software? Anyone with info on this please PM me!

_BT

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:03:21 PM »
OFFTOPIC
I just tried to search some info on  lexicon 300 Nubus on eBay, and that info came...  :-X

There is something on eBay Spain that doesn't allow me to see other items from seller...Also some of the photos mini pictures work but some doesn't to "macro" those images...

I haven't that reverb (unfortunately). I haven't even a Nubus mac ! I have zero experience with pre-blue apple machines

Did you tried lexiverb? http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1051.msg3916#msg3916

There should be a way to use it within Logic with your fast destructive Audiosuite method. But my favorite use of reverbs is as a "send". Lots of studios "print" the reverb to exchange projects to other studios. You could use "direct" sound and a "wet" track and mix them both. Probably the worst workflow for a reverb, but for sure you have been there before.  ;D 

Probably Logic Space Designer sounds better (in a mix environment) and it's probably your best option on Logic and OS9.

You could try also Altiverb http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2342.0,  but they both are CPU eaters to say enough is enough.

More Kind Of Loud Realverb http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1050.0 , Reverb Onehttp://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1044.0 and also D-Verb have been used zillion times on productions.

I am more interested in a Lexicon Studio Core 2 & MP100 setup http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may00/articles/lexicon.htm

The big brother core 32 is almost impossible to find anywhere. 32 had way better reverb DSP AFAIK. 

By the way, did you ever notice Logic working better (in OS9) on duals versus mono proc?
All your OS9 wonderful machines seems duals.  ;)

While we have to make songs with these VI

you play with the real thing

[youtube]MMnKyhGfsAE[/youtube]

Congrats for having that dream come true.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
hey brian.
what the hell system are u able to use this in?
is there such a thing as a pci to nubus expansion chassis ?? :D

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »
is there such a thing as a pci to nubus expansion chassis ?? :D

Yes there is. Was quite common back in the NuBus to PCI transition.

Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
From the finished  auction on post 2 on eBay
Great sounding Lexicon nuverb for sale.

This is the equivalent of a Lexicon 300 on a nubus card (same two DSP Lexichips, high speed static RAM etc. and the same algorithms, such as RANDOM HALL!) for Apple MacIntosh with the added benefits of:
a graphic editor
you can create a huge patch library only limited by disk space
some extra enhanced features, such as effects automation with SMPTE/MTC sync
less $$$ than a 300 rack mount
less space used if using multiple cards in a smaller Mac (I've been using 3 nuverb cards in a PowerMac 7100 which takes up less space than the equivalent 3 L300's which would be a whopping 6 rack spaces)
ability to use the Mac for other things, such as MIDI sequencing, word processing etc.

This auction includes:
one Lexicon nuverb card
one breakout cable for the nuverb card: DSUB to 2 x XLR (AES in and out)
one MacOS (Classic) formatted floppy disk with all the latest software needed to run the nuverb
manual in electronic form
FULLY TESTED AND 100% GUARANTEED WORKING.
Computer Requirements:
You will need a classic Mac with nubus slots; at least 1994 or later, 68K or first generation power mac. Make sure your Mac has at least one FULL LENGTH nubus slot available. Also, if using a first-generation power mac, you will need to also install the SoftFPU extension (included). A 68K Mac does not need this extension if it has a built-in hardware FPU. Typically most 68Ks, except some of the lowest end budget models, have a hardware FPU. If you have a 68020, 68030, 68040 or 68LC040 you will be fine. Installation of the software and hardware is a breeze.

Optional:
I've been using my nuverbs with a Powermac 7100 and have a spare. Let me know if you like to get a pre-configured 7100 so you have a turn key system with the software pre-installed and the Mac guaranteed to work with the nuverb, and I'll list it in a separate auction. Let me know if you also need a mouse and keyboard and/or monitor adapter.
Check my other listing for a TDM daughter card for the nuverb which will allow you to integrate the nuverb directly into a vintage protools system (nubus, TDM)
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
I recall many studios keeping old Nubus machines just to keep the Lexicon 300 card running as indeed much cheaper than the rack version. However, I don't think that the Nubus to PCI concoction is either worth the bother nor supported by Avid either?

You can pick up a Nubus Mac for the price of a couple of lattes these days, probably.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 03:21:41 PM »
great post knez  8)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »

While we have to make songs with these VI

you play with the real thing

Yes. the real thing is always the best.
But anyway, you don't have to choose the worst Orchestral Library out there ( the Prosonus one LOL). There is a lot of better alternatives, including VSL (Opus 1 and 2) EWQL Gold ( and Gold XP ), even the old ROLAND/EDIROL Symphonic Orchestra is a better choice.

BTW, This BT project seems very interesting ...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 07:02:58 PM »
From Mactron...
I was never an expert on Classical music, but BT's use of overlapping melodies reminds me of a modern version of George Frederick Handel, I listened to the Opus stuff and got lost in the phrases that seemed to endlessly stack up and then give way to a focused melody that moved to the front of it all; it was very moving (I actually teared up) and that is rare for me, I hope his work gets discovered more and more.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:42:25 PM by DieHard »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:01:37 AM »
From Mactron...
I was never an expert on Classical music, but BT's use of overlapping melodies reminds me of a modern version of George Frederick Handel, I listened to the Opus stuff and got lost in the phrases that seemed to endlessly stack up and then give way to a focused melody that moved to the front of it all; it was very moving (I actually teared up) and that is rare for me, I hope his work gets discovered more and more.

Probably BT's Electronic Opus - Live can go tour in USA.

[youtube]Wl6XNAACHYg[/youtube]

[youtube]yNa0wVT84qU[/youtube]

Listen to the difference in Skylarking vs Skylarking E.O.

[youtube]alOS1HG8YRY[/youtube]

[youtube]77JA-KDHpEE[/youtube]
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 03:51:08 PM »
could that pci-to-nubus expansion chassis work on g4s & g5s???
or would it only work on old biege pci power pc's with pci slots?

Offline tjsid

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 04:15:43 AM »
Dear all,

Would anyone have the installer software for the Lexicon Nuverb standalone?

Thanks!

Regards, Danny Weijermans - The Netherlands

macStuff

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 11:34:10 PM »
Dear all,

Would anyone have the installer software for the Lexicon Nuverb standalone?

Thanks!

Regards, Danny Weijermans - The Netherlands
sorry to see noone responded to you danny

Offline oldtimer

• Valued Member
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »
Sorry I'm late to this discussion, as I'm new to the forum.

The NuVerb card isn't exactly like a Lexicon Model 300, but very close. Going on my (suspect) memory, I believe it lacks modulation-based delay effects. Perhaps there are other differences that I can't put my finger on right now. But they do sound wonderful, especially the reverbs.

I haven't used mine for several years, due to problems with the NuBus Mac, and its replacements. I'll eventually get one of these very old Macs to work, but that's kind of low on my priority list right now.

You can use it as a TDM plugin. You'll need to assign sends and returns in your (Pro Tools, Logic, SVP, etc.) mixer through your audio I/O interface.

Anyone still needs the software? I've got it, and maybe an electronic version of the manual.

EDIT:

I found it. In the NuVerb.zip file are standalone and TDM floppy installers. Also there are manuals and general info FAQ from the old Lexicon Pro web site.

Enjoy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:47:03 PM by oldtimer »

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »
very nice  8)
there was a time you could score them forgotten in an old Quadra, but that's long past...
but I still peek on backside photos of every Nubus Mac that pops up in online sales ;D