Author Topic: Programs that use both CPUs of a G4 Dual Processor PPC  (Read 23045 times)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
Re: Programs that use both CPUs
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 12:33:14 AM »
So it uses only one core, but I noticed a huge performance gain when I put a G4 from the Yikes! on my B&W, so it must be because of the Altivec.
No no, it uses both CPUs, as it is based on Quake III engine. I am just playing it the last two days with a Single-Core ;)
Interresting that you had a huge performance gain, but IIO said above that Quake doesn´t run faster with a Dual CPU system.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:20:16 PM by DieHard »

Offline filipetolhuizen

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2015, 07:54:44 AM »
So it uses only one core, but I noticed a huge performance gain when I put a G4 from the Yikes! on my B&W, so it must be because of the Altivec.
No no, it uses both CPUs, as it is based on Quake III engine. I am just playing it the last two days with a Single-Core ;)
Interresting that you had a huge performance gain, but IIO said above that Quake doesn´t run faster with a Dualcore.
I don't have a dualcore. The performance gain was when I replaced the G3 with the G4.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2015, 12:27:37 PM »
I don't have a dualcore. The performance gain was when I replaced the G3 with the G4.
I see. Sorry for "just scanning" and not reading your previous post carefully.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2015, 01:40:05 PM »
RTCW might use 2 CPUs as well, and certainly takes advantage of Altivec.

yes, but quake engine in general doesnt see any speed benefit from it. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 01:23:21 AM »
Jesus Chrysler people!!!! Dual Core is ONE THING, Dual Processor is ANOTHER TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING! You either reffer to it as you should, or give it a rest! If someone came to visit this forum just now and laid an eye on this thread especially on the few last posts, he'd immediately leave under the impression that most people here talk out of their asses and can't make the difference between two different technologies...
I've said it before and i'll say it again. English is not my native language, but i don't go around calling FireWire fireware, or even worse as i've seen in other places with tons of english speaking people, calling it firmware or some stupid crap like that. Get your facts straight! Read a little bit and then post like crazy. Sorry, but i couldn't help myself...

PS: Dual or Multi Core technology is used nowadays in modern systems. But multi chip systems can have multiple multi core CPUs. Have a look at the Mac Pro for instance. Get it?
And by the way, there have NEVER EVER BEEN ANY "dual core" PowerMac G4 systems. Dual CPUs, sure! The first and last PPC DUAL CORE CPUs ever used in Macs were in the PowerMac G5.

27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
Jesus Chrysler people!!!! Dual Core is ONE THING, Dual Processor is ANOTHER TOTALLY DIFFERENT THING!
Don´t be that hard with us. I belive we all know that there are no "Dualcores" for  Mac OS 9. As you can read above wa all used "Dualprocessor", "2 CPUS" and such terms. Later it evolved from my try to make a joke with "Singlecore" (what still is correct) and then I used once the wrong term Dualcore.
But I am absolutely sure that we all know that there are just Dualprocessor Macs around for 9, and no Dualcores. Of course you are right and we should be a bit more careful about using the right terms.

Offline Graveyard

• Enthusiast Member
  • I don't do Windows! said the janitor...
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 02:44:39 PM »
I am the kind of guy that takes a joke, and a pun! I don't mean to offend anyone, damn, that's the last thing i wanna do. My post was meant both as a joke and as a serious thing. You took it more than well if i may say :P Thank you for replying, but let us get back to the topic, shall we? :P
27" iMac Intel Core i5 3,1 GHz, 16GB ddr3, 1TB hdd, Radeon HD 6970 1GB gddr5
MacPro 8 core Xeon 2,8 GHz
PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2,3 GHz
17" iMac G5 1,6GHz
PowerMac G4 Quicksilver dual 800MHz
PowerMac G4 MDD, Dual 1,25GHz
PowerMac G3 B&W 400MHz
iMac G3 Ruby 400MHz
IMac G3 Blueberry 400MHz
PowerBook G3 400MHz, AirPort
Macintosh Quadra 610
Macintosh Classic II
SGI O2 R10000SC 175MHz, 192 MB ram, 4GB hdd
Other stuff:PS4 slim, PS3 slim, Xbox classic, Xbox 360, Nintendo 64, Nintendo DSi XL, Gameboy Advance, Original GameBoy, GameBoy color.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
Yes the topic was g4 dualcore  ;D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Programs that use both CPUs of a G4 Dual Processor PPC
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »
You guys are all drinking too much Coffee  ;)

supernova777

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2015, 04:47:47 AM »
time to switch to water + lemon  ;D

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »
BTW., making your Mac OS 9 Dualcore at least an Hexacore up to an 26x-Core or 58x-Core with a Magma Expansion Box is the Total Impact Card! ;-p

http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/totalimpact/totalpower_g3/totalpower_g3_400.html

To be honest, I have no informations about realworld speed of such Multiprocessorcards cards. The last one seems to be the 4 x 500MHz G4 card, and I read that a usual Magma PCI expansion has not enough power for more than 4 boards, ...

Total Impact stated that 8 cards could be used together with the entire memory mapped into the Linux-Kernel back than.
For Mac OS 8 to 9 they replaced the Mac MP library with an own one, ... as said, I´ve never read anything about real computing power and especially about more than 1 card inside a Mac.

Here is another short info:
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/11875/pci-uitbreidingskaart-met-4-powerpc-g3-g4-cpus.html

One 4 x 500MHz G4 was 6300$ in 2001 ;)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 06:51:17 PM »
btw graveyard, while you are on interpretational sovereignty for terminologies you should include apple inc. into your criticism.

they keep calling their computers "8 core" while in fact the have never been  that.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline filipetolhuizen

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 05:01:42 PM »
Talking about dual cores and dual CPUs, has anyone ever seen the ultra rare dual zif bay? I could find something about it some time ago, but now I can't seem to find anything about it anymore.

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »
Talking about dual cores and dual CPUs, has anyone ever seen the ultra rare dual zif bay? I could find something about it some time ago, but now I can't seem to find anything about it anymore.
Are you talking about the PCI Macs or Clones like the 9500/9600 or Umax Pulsar (S900) with 2 604(e) CPU slots/cards?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »
No, there is a rare Joesomething dual ZIF like for G3B&W and G4 PCI
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2015, 08:37:20 AM »
Ups, I confused the PCI Macs Processor Card Slot with the ZIF. If i wouldn´t use in both slots Sonnet G4 Cards, … ;)

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 12:47:55 PM »
ApplePCI - Apple Multiprocessor and G4 PowerBook Expansion Chassis Fix

Digidesign Pro Tools: there was a Dual Processor OS 9 Fix and a Apple Multiprocessor and G4 PowerBook Expansion Chassis Fix

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/mp/

Apple Multiprocessor and G4 PowerBook Expansion Chassis Fix

This download is for anyone wishing to use Pro Tools on either:

Multiprocessor Apple G4 computers

Titanium Powerbook model 550 or higher with Magma CB2S or other Magma PowerBook Expansion Chassis with an ATTO SCSI card. See the MAGMA MAC Cardbus Expansion FAQ for Magma's information on the new Apple Titanium SCSI Fix and ProTools (including HD) testing.

Without this download:

Users with multiprocessor systems may experience -6042 errors unless they remove the Multiprocessor folder from their extensions folder, thus disabling the second processor.

Users of Titanium Powerbooks model 550 or higher are unable to use a Magma CB2S or other Magma PowerBook Expansion Chassis with an ATTO SCSI card for their Pro Tools hardware.

Other users will experience no benefit from this download and should not use it.

Download Includes:

ApplePCI (system extension)

ApplePCI Read Me (this document)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 01:14:25 PM by smilesdavis »
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts