Author Topic: which items does sonnet still sell?  (Read 5357 times)

supernova777

which items does sonnet still sell?
« on: June 01, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
http://secure1.sonnettech.com/product_info.php?products_id=238

anyone wanna help me go thru the items listed on their active storage page? + pick out the ones that are relative to mac os 9?
maybe they are all sold out..

doesnt seem to be much left..
other then the tempo sata regular 2 port 32bit card

supernova777

Re: which items does sonnet still sell?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 01:12:41 PM »
i never understood why they would sell a card that has firewire on it when all the g4s already have firewire

most devices that use firewire let u do a firewire daisy chain...? maybe they were hoping people did not understand this about firewire..

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:22:34 PM »
OFFTOPIC OSX

That firewire "channel" is needed for some hardware. If you use a 002 or a firewire sound card you better use another channel for the audio drives. Is not needed, but on highest track counts is a need.

Also, with a firewire focusrite soundcard and a focusrite liquid DSP firewire card 2 firewire "channels"/torrents/stems firewire chipsets are needed.

A firewire "extra" channels is handy. Think on macs connected to other macs with firewire (instead of gigabit ethernet) and all the audio firewire interfaces with other channel, a addon PCI card. It worth having also USB ports on the same "lost" PCI slot.

A LAN thru firewire is awesome on a OSX setup.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:41:50 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »
I mean 2 chipsets for firewire. In that way every firewire device can reach 400Mbit/s without "stealing" bandwidth to the other.

As always, better use TexasInstruments for firewire and Nec for USB, and that is what sonnet gave you on that combo. There were other card that had IDE, Firewire and USB too IIRC.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 02:38:57 AM »
i never understood why they would sell a card that has firewire on it when all the g4s already have firewire

Mostly because FW Audio interfaces did not really always play very nicely with hard drives and other Firewire peripherals on the same FW bus. This way, you had one dedicated FW bus for audio and another for the rest of your toys. Same story in X and Windoze too.