Author Topic: Just got my OS9.22/Logic 6.4.3 running on Mix++ TDM  (Read 6988 times)

Offline Helic

• new to the forums
Just got my OS9.22/Logic 6.4.3 running on Mix++ TDM
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:48:13 AM »
I've been using Logic on the mac since 2.6 - it feels like second nature. I have been involved with music software for many years in the early 2000's but ever since I stopped using Logic (long story) at around that time I never found a DAW as comfortable. I have been away from music for many years (family, school, work...), and now it's great to be back.

I just finished building my "dream daw" from 2001: a MDD 1.2 Ghz G4 with 9.2.2, with ProTools Mix++, running logic 6.4.3 using TDM and 3x 888/24. I have a SampleCell II on the way. MIDI is via an AMT4 interface. I love that what would have cost $20k can be had for 1/20th the price on the Bay.

I run soft synths and modern plugins as send effects via a modern mac laptop.

This is very similar (although more powerful) than the DAW I had in the late 90's and used to create a few electronic music albums at that time. I read with interest some of BTs posts where he talks about destructive editing with AS effects within logic. I used this technique all the time in the late 90's and it was the main way that I could do microediting (all the rage of the IDM music at that time). Glad to hear that technique is still appreciated!

Wanted to say thanks to this forum for making the downloads available. Already made my first track in several years, feels great.

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
Re: Just got my OS9.22/Logic 6.4.3 running on Mix++ TDM
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »
Nice first post and welcome!

I am in the same boat as you but you seem to be already up and running, whereas I still have some work left to do :)

Could not agree more about how productive times were with Logic on OS9 all that time ago and, similarly, I have faffed around with too many OSes, too many interfaces and too many DAW revisions up to Logic X to finally give up to the fact that I worked best in the old days and nothing was a distraction from music.

Offline Helic

• new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »
Couldn't agree with you more.

When I was involved in music software, I became obsessed with thinking about the technological side of things (even tried programming some very simple things myself) - to the complete distraction of actually making music. I had a great time (lived in Berlin then) and I loved the company I worked for - they are now one of the biggest and keep on making awesome things. But now that I have my system set up I can focus entirely on music because no one is going to be releasing any new plugins for MacOS9 any time soon : )

And I'm glad to be back to the workflow that has worked well for me in the past. Like putting on a well-worn yet very comfortable pair of shoes...

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 02:55:59 AM »
This weekend I actually managed to sort out the wiring on the 3 888/24s, Adat Bridge/24 and get the Mix Core and 5 Mix Farms to pass Digitest.

Been messing around with Logic in DAE Mode and the virus TDM plugin as well as external MIDI. Next stop is to figure out why both Samplecell II TDMs throw up a TDM error in Digitest, perhaps I just have to unplug/replug the ribbon connector on them.

It's puzzling to see how Logic really doesn't touch the G4 cpus at all when in DAE mode. Back in the day, I had a measly Digi001 instead.

I know it will be fun once it's all finished!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:30:07 AM »
Sounds like you're making progress! I've been having a LOT for fun with my mix rig, although I'm not doing the Logic thing at this point... It DOES sound interesting!

That whole ribbon cable/expansion chassis deal can be VERY finicky!! Just take your time with it. Sometimes you just have to keep at it, unplugging, replugging. testing, etc. and then it starts working! I seem to have better luck after everything is good and warmed up, as far as Digitest goes. ;D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 05:59:41 AM by mrhappy »

Offline Helic

• new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 06:37:14 AM »
If all else fails you can just run the outputs from your samplecell directly into the 888's. 888's expect a balanced input so the SC will be quiet but it should work fine.

The SC has some very nice workflow where you can set up a default patch (I have mine set to slightly modulate pitch and filter with velocity to create some nice dynamics).

I have a logic autoload with a few different virus's running - all on just one DSP chip. You have to create a new instrument in the environment for each instance so that's why I have it in my autoload. Don't forget to check out the free patches for virus TDM from the access website: http://www.virus.info/page/render/lang/en/p/25/do/Downloads_user_manuals_and_additional_patches_for_the_virus_ti.html

I have tested these and they work - they're pretty good and personally I think virus TDM is one of the best sounding "soft" synths, holds its up to modern synths despite its relative age.

I tend to "print" the virus tracks to disks then go to town with destructive AS editing -> then loads bits back sample cell and go nuts.

It's amazing fun.

Good luck!

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 08:43:46 AM »
I haven't had the time nor opportunity to open the chassis and have a wiggle with the Samplecells but, in the meantime, have worked out ESB mode so have DTDM and DAE working very nicely side by side.

Tonight, baby allowing, I will install EPIC TDM and see how that fares too.

As I mentioned in the other threads, if anyone needs my Autoload to help them setup DAE and DTDM side by side, just let me know. I find the flexibility really quite amazing and can totally see why so many studios had Logic as their TDM front end.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 10:27:31 PM »
is there a cracked version of logic that talks to tdm mix cards

anyone please or do i need the dongle?

Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline AtariMan

• Veteran Member

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 11:28:43 PM »
this definatively does tdm mix core communication?

will i be able to send automation data from a modern pro tools via a sync io and midi io to logic?

that would be the greatest thing for me
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts