Author Topic: New DAW PowerPC OSX Zone !  (Read 33277 times)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: New DAW PowerPC OSX Zone !
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »
AtariSTE...my first love!
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2015, 01:07:35 PM »
3)  Anytime Chris made a post [snip] we ended up with a bunch of Off-topic stuff that got mixed in

now the sentence is correct. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:03 PM »
Both are working well with Mac OS 9 (macrar, and QT mp4).

unfortunately you are wrong; both are valid examples.

my point is more that there is no reason to include this OSX stuff in a MacOS9 forum, because there are thousands of sites about OSX out there.

i also use bread and salami, but i would never discuss it here. at least not with persons who are only discussing salami issues instead of actually installing and using it.

damn, now i feel hungry. :)

supernova777

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:37 PM »
lol
how do u install salami?  :D

both of those arent the best food choices..
i suggest u switch to vegetables + meats containing less nitrates.
8)

yes IIO im well aware of your condescending perspective on how i post information here, youve made this clear numerous times along with your ridiculous sense of humour.

my point is more that there is no reason to include this OSX stuff in a MacOS9 forum, because there are thousands of sites about OSX out there.

not really..
in fact most people would think anyone using a powerpc computer in this day + age is a bit "off" in the head..
name the top 3 of these "thousands of sites" u are talking about here..
and if we take a quick look... any posts there made about powerpc would probably be quickly met with comments insulting your mental health.

powerpc osx is no longer covered anywhere.. open your eyes. its 2015
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:41:46 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 03:44:41 PM »
the whole sub board thing is bullshit imho it would have been a much easier thing to
let people talk freely about what they need to. rather then to have to make an admin handpick + sort things.. as long as the content is titled properly then there would be no need for sub boards + extra work to categorize + sort.
I am not really not understanding that logic... but....
The reason I want to leave the OS X zone boards as sub-boards is because the site and the forum is Mac OS 9 Lives and it is well know we have an extreme bias to DAW related material...if I start creating a whole bunch of OSX stuff off the Root level, I think it will 1) get confusing to new members 2) make the main page even longer... the sub-boards will still accomplish the goal, and PPC OS X Users that Google DAW related issues will still find there way here.  It kind of makes sense that the Main Topic is OS 9 based and then we have a PPC zone for cross-over apps and questions on hardware that works on both platforms.

We always have "Old School DAW" for anything we don't have here...

The other idea is a complete re-write :)  LOL

supernova777

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 04:14:33 PM »
yes.we have never seen eye to eye on the whole "mac os 9 lives" thing either.. for example.. just because 9 is alive.. doesnt mean X is dead.. two things can be alive at the same time..

to be honest i would never have even contributed my time here if i knew that you guys were going to waste my time with this bullshit x vs 9 argument rather then focus on the software & ie: actually doing stuff with audio production!!!

the whole reason why i contributed here in the first place was with the goal of using 9 in combination with X. i would never have ever gotten involved here if i knew that i would be forced to only talk about 9. everyone knows that 9 was buried. never at any poiint have i ever said anything negative about any version of X. I love X i think X is great. in all its forms + versions.

9 is a great way to use old hardware.. for me it provides value of cheap midi hardware thats the biggest thing going for 9 and the reason i got involved with it in the first place.. because i wanted to do advanced midi networking between workstations.. and knew i could go on ebay and grab up an oldschool midi interface for 30$ that had 8 ports in & out (ie: MTP 1 & 2, MTP AV, opcode studio 4 etc)

apparently this forum  is also great for trolls who like to run their mouths  + contribute fuck all. while real guys like myself & chokobo who actually have usefull into to share.. get opressed by trolls telling us what we can and cant talk about.

its a damn shame

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 04:30:28 PM »
Both are working well with Mac OS 9 (macrar, and QT mp4).

unfortunately you are wrong; both are valid examples.
Off Topic, but I never had problems with Macrar. And well mp4 can become tricky when vbr stuff is used, but decoding works well. I can watch mp4s/xvids/ ... in pal even at my 9600 (G4 800). So what exactly is the problem with mp4 and rar with Mac OS 9? Perhaps we should discuss this at another thread?

I agree 100%! (But how is this connected to the rar and mp4 issue above?)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 05:46:59 PM »
Perhaps we should discuss this at another thread?

yes please. :)

btw, i actually wonder why someone would need to extract rar under OS9 anyway. ^^

I agree 100%! (But how is this connected to the rar and mp4 issue above?)

well, that is where PTGuy is right: if at one point something does not work with OS9, this raises the question how else it would work.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:00:28 PM by IIO »

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »
Can't....help....myself.....must....add.....2 cents

All of this discussion re: what you can do in X and not in 9 yada yada is not significant etc. seems to be missing one very important point: 64 vs. 32 bit processing.

OSX was unwieldy, bloated and slooow when run on single 32-bit CPUs and Apple knew it. Apple also knew what was in the pipeline and that the switch to 64-bit dual Intels would fix the problem. IMO, they actually did a pretty good job of handling the transition from the old to the new. Can you imagine Microsoft handling that changeover? AARGH!

Maybe a small sub board / section to handle that short time when Carbon and Classic were needed and used is an idea?

Just a thought - I'n new around here and I'm not trying to push my opinion, just offering...

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 01:02:41 PM »
Yeah, that's Kinda the idea about the PPC X zones... we will post the intermediary reference material that is getting hard to find... In a nut shell, anything G3/G4/G5 based prior to Intel OS X (which has plenty of stuff available on the web)... Here is a quick synopsis of our evolution (for those who ever wondered)

PHASE 1: The first site.. "OS9DAW"

Look Familiar ?
Didn't get that much attention... and the original forum was hacked with spam bots... so it was back to the drawing board

PHASE 2: The idea was a site dedicated to classic Mac OS (pre-X) and also included Audio plugins that were hard to find and were considered abandonware.  At the time, the Macintosh Garden, had almost no Pro Audio apps, and many of the "Free" plugins across the Web that claimed to be OS 9 based had broken links and appeared to be gone forever. So I blew the dust of 2 Volumes of over 600 Audio DAW & Plugins CDs/DVDs and when MacTron joined (lucky # 25); we hit it night and day, Testing, Archiving, and Imaging.  MacTron made everything that didn't work... work, he is responsible for getting a lot of our plugins to behave.

PHASE 3: When Chris (lucky #67) joined, he had more energy than mortal man, and he alone started posting massive amounts of tech. info. and reference material that started driving Users Here by the dozens.

PHASE 4: As if by some strange coincidence, the renewed interest in Mac OS 9, and forums like https://www.thinkclassic.org/ with founders like iMic (who was ripping away all the obstacles that made unsupported G4s unable to boot to Mac OS 9), and the also the Mac Garden (which was now stable thanks to Knez)... all the pieces were coming together... and with about 1000 members strong, it was clear the goal was accomplished; The Mac G4 and Mac OS 9 would continue to thrive and maybe even get exposed to a new generation.

PHASE 5: (Present Day) Realizing that PPC Mac OS X (10.1 thru 10.5); is tagged as another "Dead end" or "Obsolete Platform" or "Worthless", etc., we will now provide a reference to at least musicians that are still on the PPC (as many of you have suggested).  The idea of hosting content and considering applications that run on PPC Mac OS X versions as abandonware is NOT a line I want to cross, but I am sure, like OS 9, it will be thought of as a dead market, and eventually, software companies will just give it away. We have purchased 1000GB of online storage from MediaFire to host all hard to get PPC X freeware (and stuff that has been deemed now free by their creators); this will expand our download boards.  The Adrive OS 9 content will remain on Adrive and separated from the OS X stuff.  I will be going thru the last 50 to 100 CDs of OS 9 stuff and be adding to Adrive in the near future :)

Thanks for being awesome, as you all are, always :)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 08:19:18 AM »
if i knew that i would be forced to only talk about 9. everyone knows that 9 was buried.
As nobody else is saying anything about this statement, I have to tell that I just can wonder about it. It is at least a creative perception of reality to write this down at macos9lives.com .

trolls telling us what we can and cant talk about.
Good point, perhaps this is the way to go. Going to Linux Forums, asking for BSD subforums, going to Win2000 forums and talking about XP and Win7 software, goint to Amiga forums and talking about Atari-Stuff, ... I have to think about it, ... at least I am now seriously thinking about the salami subforums idea. ;)

if i knew that you guys were going to waste my time
Aha, ... ;)

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
Here is a quick synopsis of our evolution (for those who ever wondered)
Thanks for that summary. I can understand you much better now, and perhaps it will work well with the subforums (I really hope that keeping informations apart will be more easy, and that I can ignore X stuff more simply). Let´s see how it evolves.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 08:49:23 AM »
I enjoyed that historical overview too!! ;D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2015, 03:22:46 PM »
if i knew that you guys were going to waste my time
Aha, ... ;)

those who stay on topic and actually use OS9 for audio are the trolls. ^^

supernova777

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2015, 08:30:42 PM »
another useless post containing no information.. great job  :-\

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2015, 10:32:55 PM »
The thing is this forum is a community. By posting here we develop friendships (or in some cases Frenemies). We develop a trust with each other. Yeah sure we can seek out information at other locals, but are those folks going to be as knowable about how to get an OS X/ OS9 machine to function as well as this group? Probably not. The two are intertwined to a high level, and if you use Nine then you are probably also using Ten.

These days the overwhelming bulk of my effort is taken care of in OS X. I'm probably way more knowledgeable with my X than my 9. The memories of 9 constantly fade. But I do remember quite a bit, and by exercising those memories they come back. Finding you cats, and building the super StudioVision machine was pure joy. But it's never going to be my main machine. Those days are gone. Even my PPC OS X machine is mostly hanging on because it can run one synth that I can't get on the current machine. And that's okay. :)

I have lots of old hardware hanging around here, and I can do lots of different tests. People showed an interest in DP on the PPC with various hardware setups so I checked it out. Some were really happy to be handed this knowledge. For me it was entertaining to track down. I'm not going to run it myself as I might as well be using DP9, but for those wanting that info I was happy to find it. Sadly some got their panties bunched up about posting it here. That really took the wind out of my sails.

Well now there's a place where that knowledge can be shared too. If you don't want to read it then don't. It wont effect you. If you do well then, smiles. :)

Lets be friends. Lets share our wealth of knowledge. Everyone benefits.

MacTron--dude I apologize for any of my actions that may have made you feel uncomfortable. I think the effort you put in is totally awesome. :)

Chris--you are a force of nature and I am so happy to be your friend. :D

DH--this is truly a great place! Thank you Thank you Thank you.  :)

Now, lets go watch some cat videos.  8)

Oh wait I have DP9 to go play with...

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2015, 06:26:52 PM »
but are those folks going to be as knowable about how to get an OS X/ OS9 machine to function as well as this group? Probably not..

there are about 10 or so active OSX users here and if you think this is a community you have never seen one.

Offline dr bu

• Gold Member
  • inconsistent soul
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 12:32:49 PM »
Very entertaining and informative debate. Thanks :)

Is this...
Quote from: DieHard
We have purchased 1000GB of online storage from MediaFire to host all hard to get PPC X freeware (and stuff that has been deemed now free by their creators); this will expand our download boards.
happening?
djupsinnig

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 03:54:22 PM »
Chokobo was a great guy... he had some great posts..
its amazing when people actually discuss DAW software knowledge instead of overclocking to gain 1 measly mhz

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 04:05:45 PM »
Very entertaining and informative debate. Thanks :)

Is this...
Quote from: DieHard
We have purchased 1000GB of online storage from MediaFire to host all hard to get PPC X freeware (and stuff that has been deemed now free by their creators); this will expand our download boards.
happening?

Yes there is a lot on content on the Mediafire server, but I have yer to integrate it here, I have been time limitted