Author Topic: Why i use MacOS  (Read 3488 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Why i use MacOS
« on: May 23, 2015, 05:21:18 PM »

so i am writing this from a windows computer.

from a windows computer i own since a few days (is it a laptop i need for my voluntarily performed work) and which is nice on the one hand when used for simple tasks with default apps but unbearable when you want to use it like the average user does: downloading apps from the net.

what works fine is browsing, and in opposite to OSX PPC with this win 7 machine i have acces again to java 7 and flash 12 exclusive content on the web.

kdx and hotline run my intranet and this also works fine here.

what should i say. today i wanted to install an application, and it came as zip.

windows by default is not able to open zip files. what the fucking fuck. how can an OS not support at least one of the common formats.

so you could think that you now just install some free utility to expand your OS, right?

not in windows.

if you search for archive apps for windows, the first ones you find are:

7zip
winrar
universal extract
winarchiver
powerarchiver

one of them is called a shareware but in fact it is a 30 days demo. and it installed some sophos autoprotect shit whose "protection" consists of reminding you to buy sophos.
since it installed secretly, i have no idea where it is. after deleting the app the dialog still came up at random.

the next one did not even extract - the file was corrupt.

a third one, guess what, came as .zip file. very clever.

7zip and powerarchiver work, but .zip files refuse to be associated with them.

since "show extension" is off by default in windows, you never really know if a file has finished downloading. the windows version of firefox doesnt seem to offer a progress bar or download window either.

winrar would probably also work, but the console closes right after opening (it does that for .rar files, too)

so i tried app number 6 today to unzip the app i want to install. this will be my last attempt and here is why:

the installer of this unarchiever app tonight installed the following bullshit:

- opera
 - powertools
 - powertools reminder nag thing
 - winrar

the 15 winrar components have been scrambled across the desktop, and it is the 64 bit vesion (on a 32 bit win7)

powertools seems to be a commercial app, which can magically close unused programs to make you windowws PC a super windows PC because of the 2% CPU that will save (if you believe in it)

powertools nag screen utility opens at random and reminds you that you have to buy powertools.

opera is brought in the task bar and autostarted. in addition, it is made the default browser without asking, and from now on the search site of the german service company web.de is your default page. plus there is some thing in my firefox toolbar now trying to connect to web.de´s email shit whenever i open a new tab.

since i dont know windows very well i neede more than 15 minutes to get rid of all that nonsese - on a MacOS computer i could have played a game, watched a movie, or make some good code or vibrations.

i have posibly downloaded some 30,000 applications for MacOS, MacOS X, and Linux during the last 15 years and i have not seen ONE case of fraud, scam, spam, the factor of crippleware was under 1% and the factor of broken files was not measureable.

my windows experience is already 50 times worse after only one week.

so in case somebody wonders why i use OS9 and OSX, this is why.

i needed
insert arbitrary signature here

supernova777

Re: Why i use MacOS
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »
ive found that like stuffit.. there are different version/formats of zip
some zips are made on macosx and will only extract properly on macosx
(usually u will see a folder called __MACOSX when u extract such files, and the file properties + dates will not be preserved properly unless extracted on macosx)

thers alot of room for error depending on the factors:
which version of file extraction/archiving app
which os its running on
which filesystem its running on

but -- ive had success opening such files on windows using stuffit expander for windows.
http://my.smithmicro.com/stuffit-expander-windows.html

Offline xwolfe

• new to the forums
Re: Why i use MacOS
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 08:05:47 PM »
I hate the very thought of having to use Winblows . . .  It gives me the screaming willies!  I just want something that works. . .  And Winblows isn't it ! ! !    :o