Author Topic: MacTron: My (simple) workflow.  (Read 15523 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
MacTron: My (simple) workflow.
« on: May 23, 2015, 03:23:31 AM »
My (simple) workflow:
Some friends of mine asked me for a simple and short tune for a podcast, and this is what I did:

This tune can be a good example to show my workflow.
My "studio" is only formed by Cubase VST 5, NI FM7, Kompakt and half dozen of effects. I had to choose a chord progression and beginning to write the main melody from scratch, then I have to wrote some extra parts like synth bass and arpeggios. All sound comes from NI FM7 but "ah choir" that came from Logic Pro 9 library (thanks to DieHard) and played with Kompakt. Most of the audio channels were equalized and send to OhmBoyz.
As my friends didn't liked this kind of synth sound, I had to make a revision. Just changed all the NI FM7 instances by NI Kompakt channels loaded with classic instruments, (and removed the EQ and sends to OhmBoyz) and this is the result once rendered to an audio file:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 12:25:01 PM by MacOS9Lives.com »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: MacTron: My (simple) workflow.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »
The first version it's by itself a little demo of the wide and astounding sound capabilities of NI FM7 .

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:58:46 PM »
Version 1 - Rolling Movie credits :)

Version 2 - Coffee Commercial

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:24:20 AM »
Version 1 - Rolling Movie credits :)

Version 2 - Coffee Commercial

I know that both aren't great songs. But I have chosen them because easily illustrates how I make music.
So many times we discuss about different applications without taken in to account that our opinions are based on what we do and how our workflow is. It is not the same to make pure score composition, MIDI sequencing and editing or audio mixing, or all this things at the same time ...

In the past I use to have some external equipment, but when the first virtual instruments appears, my work begin to rely more and more on them. At this time I was using Coda Finale and Roland Ballade, but if you had planned to add some sampled audio to your work, you had to sync the MIDI/Score App with a sampled sound editor like Deck II. And this easily becomes a headache ...
With the inclusion of sampled audio in the main DAWs, I begin to use Logic Audio, it was really fast app, but I never liked its interface.

When the Steinberg VST technology included instruments, I see the light: this is what I was waiting for all those years:

- Midi sequencing with score editing.
- Sampled audio capabilities.
- Audio effects and virtual instruments.

With this I can make a full song in a great, simple and integrated enviroment, including everything, from MIDI notes, audio, effects, instruments to mixers. And render the final work to an audio file.

As I need a Score editor sometimes, some DAWs are out of my choices, this include Ableton Live, Pro Tools and Reason,

And as I need Virtual instruments support, Opcode Vision, Performer, and Cakewalk Metro are out of business too.
SO what are my choices: Cubase or Logic, and I have to choose Cubase after using Logic some time ...
Of course I know that I can use Virtual Instruments and sync two DAWs via ReWire, but this reminds me the nightmare of sync MIDI Apps with Audio Apps ...
And I know that Digital Performer can use VST instruments with VST wrapper, but Performer didn't add enough enhancements to justify another layer of complexity and problems,  (the VST Wrapper) and another extra MIDI manager (free MIDI).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:58:11 AM by MacTron »

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
With this I can make a full song in a great, simple and integrated enviroment, including everything, from MIDI notes, audio, effects, instruments to mixers. And render the final work to an audio file.

well it seems like u have all that u need + are happy with it .. so theres no problem  8)
for me, patterns/loops with their own timelines are important, a big reason why i am really interested in both Opcode SVP + Ableton Live
i also like being able to use midi controllers to map transport controls and the freedom to redefine them to whatever im doing currently
in cubase.. i would be cut + pasting out a million copies or paste-repeating ghost copies..
cubase is great.
ableton live is great.
along with Reason, these 3 tools are the ones im most familiar with.

logic / pro tools / opcode studio vision are ones that im interested in learning more about.

in cubase i have asked many questions when trying to do things i do with ease in Ableton.. and noone here was able to answer my questions.
Like asking how to do one-finger chords using a midi-transform filter.. this i do in 2 seconds in live.. in cubase.. u have kept saying its possible..
but i still have no idea how to do it.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 05:08:51 PM »
YES finally. this is what im talking about demonstrating the workflow/practical use of whats been offered here. we should document that more in video/picture and put it out as content because there is no tutorial available. who knows there are people on a budget and they cant buy the latest and the greatest but they have a few bucks for a starter studio like this and would like to know how to use it more efficently. thats where we come in. keep it up.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
i know that i am mean, but "I had to choose" and "write the melody" as well as "have to wrote some extra parts" doesnt reveal much of the actual workflow, it could mean anything. :)

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 10:51:24 AM »
its at least a starting point. nobody else is coming out with it. im not really a pro when it comes to music but i like good tuts, always did.

supernova777

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
i would be happy to post some videos on youtube if i could get some type of holder/stand for my iphone to be able to use it to record... i think its camera is alot better ten the cam on my macbook air or imac 2008.

sounds like fun..but unfortunately i have to pack my things + move before im able to do things like that really.

i would definately be interested in making some vids on how i use ableton live in mac os 9.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »
i would be happy to post some videos on youtube if i could get some type of holder/stand for my iphone to be able to use it to record... i think its camera is alot better ten the cam on my macbook air or imac 2008.

Ever seen this?

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmiccast/

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »

supernova777

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 06:29:20 AM »
Yeah I was thinking that too! ;D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 06:59:28 AM »
screen recording is often impossible on G4 machines, it is just too slow.
insert arbitrary signature here

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 08:32:07 AM »
screen recording is often impossible on G4 machines, it is just too slow.

i would have thought the same but apparently its possible.. probably even more possible
with very fast disk speeds and minimal compression type settings....
its worth investigating..

i remember when i was having some trouble with Cockos Reaper i emailed them and they wrote me back with custom made animated screen captures .. i think they were actually gifs.. but they were gifs that the guy just made for me in response to my email. it was very easy to understand obviously.. and i was overjoyed with the simplicity of him literally showing me how to do what i wanted to be able to do.. software uis can be confusing but once u have seen it done its simple.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
back on topic: Those are a couple of songs I have made at the beginning of the year. The workflow is exactly the same, and the tools are the same too: Cubase, FM7 and Kompakt. everything is written from scratch by myself in a G4 MDD with Mac Os 9.

The old Kiwi6 host is not working, so I'm testing this new one, click on the pictures above and a new window/tab will be open and the music starts automatically.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:27:34 AM by MacTron »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 12:09:57 PM »
... the tindeck.com page don't work on classilla.
So I'll will mix our old MP3 flash player with the tindeck.com MP3 direct link:

"Moonrise"

"PopTale"
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:59:12 AM by MacOS9Lives.com »

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »
Argh..."Our servers are experiencing an
overload in connections!"...

Will try later mactron
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
This is a little study I made about Berlin School ( techno )

ALL sounds come from the same synthesizer. Some are programed by myself.
Guess what synth it is .

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
and the same song with our old MP3 flash player:

"Hidrogen, Part I and V"
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 10:03:24 AM by MacOS9Lives.com »