Author Topic: Hoarders/Owners/Enthusiastic... Who cares!  (Read 9165 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Hoarders/Owners/Enthusiastic... Who cares!
« on: May 22, 2015, 11:00:06 AM »
Some of us have way too much equipment.

My wife is getting annoyed about my hobby of collecting old macs so these have to go.

I have 3 PowerMacs(DA GHzDual, MDD 867Dual,B&WG3 450) , 1 iMac G3 350 (Thanks Philgood!), 3 PCs, 2 Portables, 1 C-128, 1 Philips MSX-2, 1 Sinclair ZX-Spectrum 128...

(4) Roland jv-880s (Had 5, gave 1 to Chris)
(1) Roland D-100
(1) Roland U-200
(2) Roland 1080s
(1) Panasonic SV3800 DAT
(5) Motu 1224s
(2) MOTU 24i
(2) Audiophile 2496 FireWire
(2) Spare Mindprint TRIO SDIFF
(2) Backup Alesis HD24 Units (still use one live from Time to Time, I like the converters)
(3) Tascam DA-38
(2) Tascam DA-88
(1) Tascam HD-78
(2) Soundcraft Studio Spirit 32 Channel Boards
(3) 5' Racks of other stuff that I have not removes the covers off since I moved to CA in 2004

Diehard=Hoarder (See me on my new reality show)

I have (computer related)

1 Guillemot Maxi Sound Isis
1 AudioMedia III
1 Digi 001
1 Sonorus STUDI/O
1 M-Audio AP 24/96 PCI
1 Behringer UCA200 USB
1 Focusrite Saphire Liquid 56
1 Edirol UM-1ex USB midi
1 Behringer BCF-2000 midi controller

MIDI related

1 Yamaha Clavinova CLP-930
1 Yamaha RX-8
1 Fatar StudioLogic 49
1 Midiman MERGE 2X2

Live Sound Related

1 ALTO MAXIDRIVE 3.4 PC Crossover
1 analog stereo 2way crossover
1 Focusrite TrackMaster
1 Yamaha GC2020 compressor/limiter
1 dbx 166 Project1 compressor/limiter
1 Yamaha FX500 dsp
1 StudioMaster 16-4-2 console upgraded to 24 channels
1 Work 8-2 console
1 Master 600+600 Watts amp
1 Work Disco 250+250 amp
1 FBT 100+100 Watts amp

Guitar related

1 Marshall JCM-900 SLX modded by AmpTek/Barcelona
1 Yamaha DG-60 Amp
1 Peavey Bandit-50
1 Sinmarc 4x12 cabinet
1 Marshall valvestate 8412 4x12 cabinet
1 H&K Tubeman
1 Boss Distortion
1 Boss Chorus
1 Boss Overdrive/Distortion
1 Morley Wha
1 DOD Wha
1 DOD Grunge
1 Line6 POD Floor+

Guitars

1 Cort Zenox
1 Cort Strat-like with maple body
1 Cort Hiram Bullock cheap model
1 Talmus (Les-Paul-like) from the 80's modded with DiMarzio PAF-PRO
1 Cheap Acoustic Steel-String Guitar
1 Cheap Academy 4 string bass with Hipshot D-Tunner

Studio related

1 Pair DAS Monitor-8 Studio Monitors
1 Pair Mission 701 Hi-Fi Speakers
1 Boss DI-Box
1 CAD GXL 2200 mic
2 AKG C-1000, 1 modern and 1 w/out the battery holder
1 Shure SM-58 mic
1 Shure Prologue 18
1 Shure BG-20
2 AudioTechnica ATM-40 headphones
1 Yamaha MT-4 4 track cassette recorder
1 Pioneer A-351R stereo amp
1 Sony TA AX22 stereo amp
1 AIWA FX5350 VHS 6 head deck
Various cassette tape decks

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Hoarders/Owners/Enthusiastic... Who cares!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »
My wife is pretty smart, she never busts my balls

She knows not to touch daddy's stuff; Music stuff in cases in the garage is my stuff, and I don't tell her to throw out any shoes.  :)

But I know I have way too much stuff, so I have actually downsized over the last 8 years, I only have 4 guitars (from 20+ in 2004), all the old macs are at office (not home). Any I have sold (and given away) a lot of stuff over the last few years...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:17:19 AM by DieHard »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 11:15:40 AM »
I want to see the Syntho, Chris777, mrhappy, chokobo, coach l.a., devil's-advisor, MusicWork, IIO, MDD, Knezzen, and others member stuff. I have all that at this time. I will not enter in what I had...

We have seen some stuff on SonikArchitek, Knezzen, etc...

But I know I have way too much stuff, so I have actually downsized over the last 8 years, I only have 4 guitars (from 20+ in 2004), all the old macs are at office (not home). Any I have sold (and given away) a lot of stuff over the last few years...

How many pedals/FX/amps... you carry live?

Going from 20+ to 4 is the hardest thing I have ever heard from another guitar player.  :o  I still regret when I sold my first guitar Squier Strat guit. I have never sold a guitar again.

One keyboard player can have another spare keyboard "clone" that sounds the same, but every guitar is unique.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:38:24 AM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »
Live Guitar Gear (you can see it in the background Here to the right under the PA Speaker)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1q4x7ox0wI

Consists of (2) identical sets of...
(1) Roland GP-100 Preamp
(1) Mesa Boogie 20/20 all Tube Amp
(2) Mesa Boogie extra deep retro 12 Cabinets
(1) Roland FC-200 MIDI foot controller
Times all by 2 for large venues and what's above for small clubs

Favorite Guitars are (2) DeMarino customs made in New York by John Lennon's guitar Tech Ronnie Demarino, (1) Don Grosh, (1) 62 Strat, (1) Raven Electric/Acoustic

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:08:47 PM »
I want to see the Syntho, Chris777, mrhappy, chokobo, coach l.a., devil's-advisor, MusicWork, IIO, MDD, Knezzen, and others member stuff.

bck in thge (good?) days i had about 800 devices including 25 analog synths & 140 midi expanders, plus the usual "professional" mixing and mastering gear.

since i am broke retired and went back to private life (and making actual arts) my set is quite minimal: wavestation SD, microwave I, nord lead 3, FSR-1, AN-1X, TX81z. all connected via a mackie 32.4.bus. the last leftover of the effects rig are also still here: focusrite silver compressor, spl vitalizer, a few digital units from roland and boss. there is also a stock of gear in my sleeping room which is unused since more than 10 years, among them 2x emu e-64, tape recorders, mixers, some behringer shit which i got for free and will possibly give it away again soon.

of course i also have 1000 VST plug-ins and only use max/msp anyway. but you cant just give your first microwave away, dont you? and i wouldnt like to work without an analog mixer either.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
A Ibanez/Maxxon tubescreamer would have helped that creep distortion in a "direct to the boogie" setup. Roland with COSM sound great, and your GP pre sounds great. I worked 2 years with the GT-Pro module but in speaker simulation Line6 is the king on the cheap. I always tought you would use boss pedals for CODA/Stingers. 

Would you ever use an in-ear monitor headphones? The first time you ear your guitar rig to the mixer, you think on moving to Line6 or the Guitar Eleven Rack from digidesign. If Dave Navarro uses 11 instead of his old setup, it means something. You carry way to much pounds of weight for a gig!!! I hope your back is as strong as your background in music.   :D

I love the guitar direct to the amp sound. Also with floor pedals. I love MIDI, but not on guitar...With a sequencer, you can call diff. presets on RolandGT while playing live without kicking the footswitch. And that is the only advantage I can see on carrying a digital PRE having boogies combos... I cant blame you. I prefer the PRE sounds from my yamaha DG60 than the onboard overdrive from the Marshall JCM 900 SLX (4 pre valves+4 amp valves) and that is why I modded the JCM to allow me choose diff. preamps to go to the power stage of the 6L6/EL34 valves.

I think a simple tubescreamer and a MXR dist. can sound great direct to the Boogies for playing live and keep the GT on a OS9 setup instead...  ;D

I love how every musicians use diff stuff in diff ways.

I want to see the Syntho, Chris777, mrhappy, chokobo, coach l.a., devil's-advisor, MusicWork, IIO, MDD, Knezzen, and others member stuff.

bck in thge (good?) days i had about 800 devices including 25 analog synths & 140 midi expanders, plus the usual "professional" mixing and mastering gear.

since i am broke retired and went back to private life (and making actual arts) my set is quite minimal: wavestation SD, microwave I, nord lead 3, FSR-1, AN-1X, TX81z. all connected via a mackie 32.4.bus. the last leftover of the effects rig are also still here: focusrite silver compressor, spl vitalizer, a few digital units from roland and boss. there is also a stock of gear in my sleeping room which is unused since more than 10 years, among them 2x emu e-64, tape recorders, mixers, some behringer shit which i got for free and will possibly give it away again soon.

of course i also have 1000 VST plug-ins and only use max/msp anyway. but you cant just give your first microwave away, dont you? and i wouldnt like to work without an analog mixer either.

Maybe the right therapy for music/computer hoarders is to use the gear and weight the amount on usability/space the take/wish to have it in a "ramdom" setup that could be live gear/studio gear/ practice room gear. My trouble is that I see a potential on stuff to create music stuff, but I do not have the determination to sell things + buy "modern" stuff, something that usually musicians do to buy new gear. (Sell the old+pay a little to get the latest).

I keep too many practice room stuff in my home/parent garage...I am 2 years without a practice room and didn't sell that stuff.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:15:56 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 01:19:47 PM »
Awesome info as always, PT5...

I never use Boss stuff, I never found anything that sounded "Pro" enough in the boss Arena.

I am a Roland user 100%; as far as the GP-100 it has (2) pairs of Stereo outs, so Pair (a) goes to the Mesa Boogie Stereo Tube Power Amp and is for Stage only (I sometimes setup the cabinets on each side of the stage to get stereo Chorus/delay, Pair (B) goes direct into an Allen Heath Live Mixer and is also Stereo; overall it is a great sound for both the Front end and the stage

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 04:01:33 PM »
ha im glad u guys are ok admitting it..
i have to move in a few weeks and im like. .fuck.. wtf am i gonna do with all these macs
LOL

:D

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 11:32:45 PM »
Chris...over there you also have these storage places like in the states ?
i think it would be a good idea. is it costly ?
makes me smile watching these programs on tv...bidding for unseen lots
maybe you will make someone happy if after many years your storage will be on auction...
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
I never use Boss stuff, I never found anything that sounded "Pro" enough in the boss Arena.

well it is basically the same stuff with differenet labels on it.

if you want a reverb, you choose the roland device, if you want a modulation effect or delay, you choose the boss.

people who are using the eventide device to make delay and flanger effects are just victims of the industry.

i´ve always mixed cheap shit and "pro" gear. there is nothing as cool as the sound of $ 2,50 contact microphone run through the compressor of an SSL desk.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
yeah, I have some 'issues' too ;D...almost AFRAID to start listing!!! Haha! 50-ish electric/acoustic guitars, 5 basses, Baritone guitar, Mandolin, Uke, other random stringed instruments, 5 violins, cello, enough drums for 3-4 complete kits, congas, bongos, lots of random percussion, 2 tenor sax, 3 alto sax, soprano sax, sopranino sax, 2 flute, piccolo, case of harmonicas, melodica, Hammond C3, Wurlitzer elec piano, clavinet, 4-ish synths, 'square grand' piano, 15-ish Guitar amps/ pedals up the wazoo, bass amps, PA systems, recording gear... not too bad with computers yet... 2 G5, 2 G4, iMac, MacBook, Alu G4 powerbook, MacPlus... cameras, bicycles.... WAY TOO MUCH STUFF!!! Plan of thinning out CONSIDERABLY this summer (although I think I say that every year!) :o :o :o

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
Live Guitar Gear (you can see it in the background Here to the right under the PA Speaker)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1q4x7ox0wI

Yeah baby... DieHard rockin' out!!! ;D ;D

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 05:40:46 AM »
OK here we go....

DAW stuff

Macs
Apple G4 MDD 1.25Ghz dual (noisy bastard but lovely machine). In the process of changing boot drive to SSD. Have already got rid of the optical chassis and drive. This runs Logic Pro 6.43 in DAE mode as well as Protools 5.13 TDM.
Apple MBP 15" non-retina with Audient ID22 for Reason 7.0 and some AUs (mostly U-he) as well as driving my monitor speakers. Daddy MDD system connects to iD22 and back via ADAT.

Audio / Midi interfaces / DSP and a PC...
Digidesign 13 slot chassis with Mix Core, 5 x Mix Farms, 2 x Samplecell II TDM, Samplecell II Plus, Korg Oasys PCI
3 x 888/24 and 1 x Adat Bridge /24 (one more of each coming)
Universal Slave Driver for digital sync
PC Rack with Creamware Pulsar II pro for those old DSP synths and fx
3 x Emagic AMT8 MIDI interfaces
M-Audio Uno

The rest of the mess.

Master keyboard
Roland A50

Synths / samplers
Roland S770 and S760
Roland D110 and U220 (not exactly incredible but do love the sound, even now)
Roland JP8080
Kawai K4R and R50
UseAudio Plugiator
Emu Proteus 1 inc orch expansion
ipad2 with Alesis IODock running PVI Fairlight Pro and some other stuff
Korg M1Rex
Yamaha TQ-5 (desktop equivalent of the TX81z with some "easy edit" functions)
Roland TB-3 (one of the few things made in the last 10 years that I have allowed into my setup)
Lots of SCSI drives and carts for the samplers

Other
Telecaster clone
Spanish acoustic guitar
Phoenix Young chang 3/4 bass
Way way too many cables scattered everywhere  :(
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:40:39 AM by acelera »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:52:30 AM »
Ahhh... you guys always make me feel better :)

I am on a personal campaign to eliminate anything in 2015 that I don't use; I may still save a few extra items as backups, but the idea of having gear that is a backup of a backup of a backup is now over.  Join me... and we can downsize and start getting more done with the things we actually use and need :)

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 01:04:37 PM »
I await your list. I've got my eyes on that piece I mentioned in a PM  -afro-

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 05:29:44 PM »
I'm with ya DieHard... even got a dumpster!!! ;D

Offline acelera

• Enthusiast Member
  • Drowning in cables
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2015, 02:56:23 AM »
I actually had forgotten two bits of gear...but no, this is actually a streamlined setup as far as I am concerned. :)