Author Topic: Difference discovered in Forum OS 9.2.2 install  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Apfel

• Valued Member
Difference discovered in Forum OS 9.2.2 install
« on: May 09, 2015, 10:09:59 AM »
Hi,

I would like that the mods add an additional info to the bootable iso download site:

That info should tell me, that when I download the iso, what is the difference of what is included:
1) iso (with HDD icon): basic apps folder, system folder, restore icon, etc. pp -> stripped down version with all one needs for a boot-CD
2) inside the iso, there is an .img which includes: applications folder with aditional software that is helpful (i.e. classilla).

WHAT I DID DISCOVER!

ISO -> extensions: ATI 8500 3D accelerator (vers. 7.1.0)
IMG -> extensions: ATI 8500 3D accelerator (vers 7.0.7)

Is there a reason or should we not try to compare both and include the most recent in both?

OTHER THOUGHTS:
- There is also a site with the "drag&drop" install. Is that completely the same to the iso?
- For what is the IMG included on the boot CD? (Is the answer that the .iso itself only for creating a bootable mergency CD; while the .img inside the iso is for extracting and then installing it to the HDD? OR is it there for the emergency CD to install a whole system including the additional useful apps by clicking the "restore installer" icon?

In other words: if I don't use the drag and drop version to install a completely new OS, what will I use the .iso (and the included .img) for?

supernova777

Re: Difference discovered in Forum OS 9.2.2 install
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 11:38:05 PM »
hi apfel
this message is a bit confusing to read.
please include a url reference so we know which install you are talkign about.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 03:43:05 AM »
one of the main points of the drag instal is that the main components are of such a high version that they will work on all apple machines including the fw-800 models which officially does not support booting in OS9.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline dukzcry

• Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:30:04 AM »
WHAT I DID DISCOVER!

What Apfel found is at least relevant to this awesome release: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0

Well, Apfel if you're about this particular release, than I think you ask too much :) Considering time and effort DieHard pulled into making this iso, I doubt we have a moral right ask him to reshuffle it.

BTW, it installs and works pretty fine. Only additionally did an install of a Cyrillic Language Kit, which I needed. Thanks to Sherlock and the fact that kits are included ;)

Offline Apfel

• Valued Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
I doubt we have a moral right ask him to reshuffle it.
I was not saying "na, na, na, you did something wrong you useless piece of shit". I just stated that there are differences and was wondering. Also, I understand, that DieHard did put a big effort and work in it. I thank him for that. I appreciate it. But from his work I can also tell, that he was after getting the best out of it. Like the seek for the holy grale kind of thing. Having this in mind, I thought he probably would like to be aware of this - and maybe we are of the same kind of "nit pickers", that search for the best and etc., almost like in a scientific way and so we would like to discuss if there is an inconsistency in our believe that we have reached the state of the optimum.
You understand what I mean?

------------------------------
First of all, sorry, I haven't come back. I don't get notes and my life has been very busy the last time and is still.

Answering to ChrisNova777
hi apfel
this message is a bit confusing to read.

I put the links in my OP:
Hi,

I would like that the mods add an additional info to the bootable iso download site:

That info should tell me, that when I download the iso http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0 , what is the difference of what is included:
1) iso (with HDD icon): basic apps folder, system folder, restore icon, etc. pp -> stripped down version with all one needs for a boot-CD
2) inside the iso, there is an .img which includes: applications folder with aditional software that is helpful (i.e. classilla).

WHAT I DID DISCOVER!

Is there a reason or should we not try to compare both and include the most recent in both?

OTHER THOUGHTS:
- There is also a site with the "drag&drop" install. Is that completely the same to the iso? EDIT: I am not sure, must have been this site http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1037.0 OR http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1859.0 I can't tell since the sites have changed or been deleted, when I downloaded the "drag&drop" the post was by DieHArd, now the post is by MacOS9Lives administrator.
- For what is the IMG included on the "boot CD" http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0 ? (Is the answer that the .iso itself only for creating a bootable mergency CD; while the .img inside the iso is for extracting and then installing it to the HDD? OR is it there for the emergency CD to install a whole system including the additional useful apps by clicking the "restore installer" icon?

In other words: if I don't use the drag and drop version to install a completely new OS, what will I use the .iso (and the included .img) for?

Clarification:

in the "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install.iso", 495MB (universally usable without stuffit-expander or OS X) install there is two things included:
- a bootable CD, ca. 80MB? called "MacOS9Lives"
inside this again, is a "MacOS0Lives.img" (415MB big)

Is the .iso itself just a naked OS 9 install as shipped by Apple, just meant as an emergency boot CD or for those that want a clean "pure" install and the .img inside it is a customized install with a lot of useful additional applications?

APART FROM THIS:
there was another thread, with two downloads (now removed, I must have visited on Dec. 4th 2014.)
I found them on my external HDD:
- "OS9General.dmg" 352MB big. Including 9.6.1 SW 5.4
- "Fresh9.2.2DragInstall.sea" 473MB big. Including 10.2.1 SW 5.9

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 12:51:31 AM »
OK... I will try to clarify the differences you noticed...

1) "Fresh drag install" - this is a complete, and unaltered Mac OS 9.2.2 installation that came from the very last revision of a CD/DVD set that apple released in late 2003 (and early 2004) for the MDD 1.25 Ghz. re-issue G4.  Since Apple did NOT provide a way to install just OS 9.2.2 (without also installing Mac OS X); I ran the full install of the restore set (both 9 and X) and then extracted all the Mac OS 9.2.2 content before ever booting to Mac OS 9; in this way, I was able to create a full, virgin, copy that runs the Installation assistant on the first boot. This is still my personal favorite, but it became clear that people were having a tough time figuring out how to install this if they did not have a working bootable MAC or a bootable external FW drive.  Since I personally do not Mix OS X and OS 9 on the same unit, it was my preferred method of installing OS 9.2.2 with all the latest drivers, boot any G3 or G4 to a FW external drive, run the drive setup to partition and format the internal hard drive, drag the folders to the root of the freshly formatted internal drive, reboot :)
DOWNLOAD LINK: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1859.0

However, it became clear that a bootable CD install would benefit those those who just bought their first G3 or G4; and did not want to install OS X, just 9.2.2, so...

In the "Mac OS 9.2.2 Universal Install.iso", 495MB (universally usable without stuffit-expander or OS X) install there is two things included:
- a bootable CD, ca. 80MB? called "MacOS9Lives"
inside this again, is a "MacOS0Lives.img" (415MB big)

2) I actually never checked the versions of any of the files on the small boot system folder, it was provided by Mactron and has one purpose... to boot via CD and start the ASR (apple System recovery); the versions of these files are a mute point since this system folder is only here to boot and start the recovery (none of these files are ever copied to the hard drive). As far as the MacOS9Lives.img file, it is basically the "Fresh Drag install" discussed above, but I deleted iMovie to keep the img file small enough so that it could fit on a CD that contained... Mactron's small Boot System, the img file, and the ASR utility. So the CD Bootable Universal install leaves you with the same files as the "drag install" minus iMovie.
LINK: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0

The Bootable install for unsupported Macs
Is the .iso itself just a naked OS 9 install as shipped by Apple, just meant as an emergency boot CD or for those that want a clean "pure" install and the .img inside it is a customized install with a lot of useful additional applications?
3) The purpose of the bootable install for unsupported Macs, was to create an install that could be used on a FW800 G4 or other G4 that did not natively support booting to Mac OS 9; it was created by taking the same files (used in the normal Universal Bootable install), and injecting the iMic modified ROM in both the Boot system folder (created by Mactron) and the System folder contained in the img file (created by me). So the CD Bootable Universal for unsupported G4s leaves you with the same files as the "drag install" minus iMovie, but also with a modified ROM that allows FW800 and other G4s to boot
LINK: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2143.0

APART FROM THIS:
there was another thread, with two downloads (now removed, I must have visited on Dec. 4th 2014.)
I found them on my external HDD:
- "OS9General.dmg" 352MB big. Including 9.6.1 SW 5.4
- "Fresh9.2.2DragInstall.sea" 473MB big. Including 10.2.1 SW 5.9
Everything is still here :) just moved around a bit

OS9General.dmg -> http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1037.0
This is the same image that is on the Mac Garden and other places, but many of the files in this image are older versions, so this is my "least" favorite :(

As far as the "Fresh Drag", it is unchanged, but now called Just Format & Drag files to Install
Fresh9.2.2DragInstall.sea (as stated above) -> http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=1859.0

« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:03:34 AM by DieHard »

Offline Apfel

• Valued Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 02:56:44 AM »
THANKS!!!!

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 06:44:59 AM »
Yes, THANKS indeed to ALL involved in all of this OS9 craziness!!! ;D ;D

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
Great explanation DieHard! ;D

Offline Apfel

• Valued Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 03:40:06 PM »
I don't know where to put it, but maybe we should add a link to the nice and sleek OS 9 set up guide http://www.macos9lives.com/ or http://www.macos9lives.com/mac%20os%209%20lives_003.htm to the downloads in this forum.

If someone needs more info than installing the given download. I see people are mostly directed towards OS 9 lives forums when someone recommends this, but the main page already includes good stuff and if you type "OS 9 lives forum" in google you will of course first find the forums and not the homepage.