Author Topic: OS9 DNS Woes. Is OS9 still internet-capable???  (Read 7812 times)

Offline artphotodude

OS9 DNS Woes. Is OS9 still internet-capable???
« on: May 04, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
Hello!! Just tried the newest version of Classilla recently and have for the first time run into REAL DNS issue with hosts not being resolved.  Have the system on ethernet and have gone through all the recommended steps to reset TCPIP to no joy.

Has anyone else recently been able to go online with OS9? 

supernova777

Re: OS9 DNS Woes. Is OS9 still internet-capable???
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
im going to go out on a limb and say that you are probably the only one with this issue :D

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
nah sounds familiar. i think i had to deal with that but in osx. i flushed the cache. pull the dsl/cable modem cord and let it chill for a minute. delete caches on your machine and try it again

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:17:32 PM »
nah sounds familiar. i think i had to deal with that but in osx. i flushed the cache. pull the dsl/cable modem cord and let it chill for a minute. delete caches on your machine and try it again

my os9 machines are very much internet capable.
sounds like a networking or isp issue.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 03:18:27 PM »
the web is the web ... MacOS9 supports everything including IPv6 and custom DNS servers.
you can connect to the internet and resolve apple.com with an atari if you want.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 03:46:42 PM »
Hello!! Just tried the newest version of Classilla recently and have for the first time run into REAL DNS issue with hosts not being resolved.  Have the system on ethernet and have gone through all the recommended steps to reset TCPIP to no joy.

Has anyone else recently been able to go online with OS9?
are you working with dhcp or manually assigned ?

Offline artphotodude

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:23:45 PM »

DHCP.  I can see the router through the 192.168.... address just fine, but will not get out to the actual internet.  At one point, put NetBarrier on to enable stealthmode, but even with that completely disabled (control-panel, extensions, etc) can't get anything.  If it were an ISP issue, what should I check???  Have never had anything like this before that couldn't be fixed by resetting TCPIP.

BTW, also tried putting in specific DNS servers (Google's open-access ones) and nothing.

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
set your dns to the ip of your router.. (192.168.0.1)
and then (if u wish) set the google dns server in your router's config setup (via http://192.168.0.1)

i have used namebench to find the fastest dns server for me
https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 04:49:42 PM »

DHCP.  I can see the router through the 192.168.... address just fine, but will not get out to the actual internet.  At one point, put NetBarrier on to enable stealthmode, but even with that completely disabled (control-panel, extensions, etc) can't get anything.  If it were an ISP issue, what should I check???  Have never had anything like this before that couldn't be fixed by resetting TCPIP.

BTW, also tried putting in specific DNS servers (Google's open-access ones) and nothing.

if you cant open anything via web browser you got a routing issue. your dns should be the router/cable modem even if you choose something else from google the issue is you cant get out so thats what we should focus on. btw what is you config in os9 appletalk wise and tcp/ip can you post screenshots ?

Offline artphotodude

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »
set your dns to the ip of your router.. (192.168.0.1)
and then (if u wish) set the google dns server in your router's config setup (via http://192.168.0.1)

i have used namebench to find the fastest dns server for me
https://code.google.com/p/namebench/

FIXED - I just wound up switing to Manual and it is working well now.  Put my IP way up high 192.168.0.30, so won't conflict with anything and is working very well now.  Thanks for all the advice!!

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 12:41:20 PM »
that means you have a routing problem. you have 2 or more dns servers/dhcp running possibly and thats why you have to assign it manually

Offline artphotodude

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »
that means you have a routing problem. you have 2 or more dns servers/dhcp running possibly and thats why you have to assign it manually

This house is FULL of iNet devices.  Probably 10 or more. Router is likely getting confused :0)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 06:01:35 PM »
As a general rule of thumb...use local static IP addresses on ALL wired devices

You can figure out DNS issues by putting a known WAN IP in your browser (or pinging), like Amazon.com (http://72.21.206.6/); if you can ping a WAN IP and cannot ping a domain name, then obviously it is a DNS issue.

Now, you most likely had a local IP address issue (as mentioned above with 2 or more DHCP servers that over-lapped leased IP addresses).  Routers (that are also DHCP servers) should always be set to start leasing addresses at around .50 or .60 and reserve all the DHCP automatic stuff for wireless devices (manually set local IP addresses on all wired devices); and you should always make sure that only 1 router or Server is a DHCP server

A good rule of thumb with setting manual IP addresses is to Set all routers to local static IPs of (.1 thru.5), Servers to local IPs of (.6 thru .10), Printers to (.11 thru .20) and workstations/Macs, PCs to .21 thru .31

Also remember to check the Gateway IP address when you manually configure devices (which should match the local IP address of your Internet router (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) or you will not get out to the Web with 1 bad typo.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:21:16 PM by DieHard »

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 06:10:25 PM »
yep 2 dhcp servers = no good
u gotta ditch the 2nd router if dhcp is unable to be disabled
use a switch instead

i use 1 router/dhcp server, and a number of switches + wireless rebroadcasters and i never have an issue

i had another cisco router that i just couldnt get to work on my local network
no matter what it always fought with the other dhcp server and assigned wacky ips on a different subnet + Screws everything up