Author Topic: Digi 002 Mixer (not rack version)  (Read 21090 times)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Digi 002 Mixer (not rack version)
« on: May 03, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
Hey

im trying to get a odd setup working and the manual isnt of much help. i try to use that mixer as stand alone combined with my avid and the only reason for that is because of the mic and my 8 channel (888 audio i/o box) the 2 channel version got a dedicated mic hookup but mine not and the manual tells you to use a pre amp or mixer for that. the problem is if you have seen a 888 backside you know what kind of ports you got and the only ones i could use right now is the s/pdif ports. i can make the output work via mixer and hear the timeline but i cant get a level from the mic to the coax s/pdif ports into the 888 and i dont know why. the setings for the channel 5/6 have been changed to digital and s/pdif but no dice. and yes i dont have any xlr cable fo input right now available. if anybody knows how to route the signal into the 888 via s/pdif please explain. even if i have to start a second machine and run protools to get that accomplished im willing to work with it.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
Re: Digi 002 Mixer (not rack version)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 07:03:52 PM »
nobody ?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 07:20:47 PM »
i can make the output work via mixer and hear the timeline but i cant get a level from the mic to the coax s/pdif ports into the 888 and i dont know why. the setings for the channel 5/6 have been changed to digital and s/pdif but no dice. and yes i dont have any xlr cable fo input right now available. if anybody knows how to route the signal into the 888 via s/pdif please explain. even if i have to start a second machine and run protools to get that accomplished im willing to work with it.

I have no experience with 002 but racks.

I would use 1 machine (a 001  w/G3 350 can) that run with a PT session. You make 1 Stereo AUX that run ANY input (Analog/ADAT/SPDIF) to the SPDIF Out. You should do the same with a 002, just NOT IN STANDALONE. I think 002 standalone is limited as a 8 in mixer with 2 outputs, but you should really research a little bit on the standalone mode.

Do 888 has AES/EBU inputs?

There should exist SPDIF  to  AES/EBU converters. There is a myth about it just been a RCA to XLR cable for short distances...  ;D But maybe someone is more experienced with AES/EBU than me to bust that myth.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 10:32:37 PM »
The 888 has both AES, and SPDIF. You can make a cable to go from an XLR connector to RCA. I did it years ago to interface a couple of things were one of them only had AES, and the other only had SPDIF.  8)

I don't remember the pin out.  ???

Oh here you go.  -afro-

« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 11:04:35 PM by chokobo »

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:58:16 PM »
heh, it would help if I read the first post first. ;P

I don't really understand what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you have a mic, that you want to plug into the 888, and then go digitally out the 888's SPDIF to another box, is that correct?

The analogue inputs on the 888 are balanced line level. If you want to plug a mic into them you should employ a mic pre-amp (most mixers have mic pre's too so you could use one of those before the 888). Most of the USB audio interface boxes these days have mic pre's that look exactly like the connectors on the 888, but they are different levels--just the same connector. The mic pre's in the lower priced USB audio boxes pretty much suck/are okay to the same degree because they all use the same mic pre chip. I don't remember it's name. Consider it insider information. :P

Oh look an old post on Slutz that says pretty much the same thing:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/542009-audio-interfaces-their-ad-da-chips-listed.html

Now once your mic is connected to the 888 properly you'll need to set up the software. You are probably running this with some software right? Via the software you can go to the hardware setup, and select to send out the SPDIF ports. It will probably look something like this:

You'll also have to have your software route from the 888 inputs to the SPDIF outputs--do this via the software's mixer interface.

Then you'll have the audio going from your mic-->mic pre-box that you don't have yet-->888 input-->SPDIF out.

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »
Okay lets try this again!  ::)

Maybe what you want to do is going into the mic pre on the 002, out the 002 and into the 888?

Now that actually makes some sense. To do this it is very much like my previous post, where the 002 is playing the role of the mixer/mic pre. The things is once you are in the digital land you pretty much want to stay there. So take the SPFID output of the 002, and go into the SPDIF input on the 888.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:49:03 AM »
thats what i did but i dont see any level's and test recording doesnt show anything but a flatline

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:36:55 AM »
are u sure u are using an actual spdif cable (75ohm) and not just a normal rca cable?

also, i think i read that the 888 requires word clock and cannot clock to only spdif (but im not sure) as we can see the digi 002 console does not have word clock out or in.

** wait i remember that it by default looks for a clock signal on input 1/2 of the AES inputs -- also the samplerate must be adjusted by a physical jumper inside the unit to switch from 44.1 to 48khz or vice versa - perhaps u have a samplerate mismatch between the digi 002 + 888

honestly tho i think u need to change your approach. and just use the digi 002 as your interface. these two items are not meant to work together in this way. the 002 is meant to be the central hub.

we have added the pro tools le 5.3.2 download....
i can only guess u want to use TDM plugins or something..
but if u dont have the cables required to wire it up then why bother?
either get the cables or dont use it? :D

anyway.. check the guide
http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support/docs/888_24_IO_Guide.pdf
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 06:59:11 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 06:38:29 AM »
i tested with a normal rca and a m16dx mixer if the digital out works from the 888 to the m16 and i get sound with that cable

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 06:56:02 AM »

theres your answer.

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 06:58:19 AM »
you need to check the digi 002 consoles sp/dif samplerate setting
if its 44.1 or 48khz

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 07:03:41 AM »
from the digi 002 guide: (http://akarchive.digidesign.com/support/docs/Getting_Started_with_002.pdf)

here its shown that the digi 002 supports a number of samplerates that the 888 does not support...which shows that if u were going the other way from the 888 to the 002 u would have little difficulties.
but going this way (from 002 to 888) u will have to ensure that its set to particular compatible settings.. both in software + with the jumpers.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:49 AM »
both devices show me the samplerate. dont forget i use the 888 with a avid media composer and the capture settings are visible to me. the digi shows the samplerate as well above the faders right side. the reason why i need this combo is to document the machines/setup's i have here. pretty much the mic is the only thing i want in this setup to have a voiceover.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 08:16:47 AM »
Along with the 'Hardware setup' in PT you also need to define a 'Path' in the I/O setup... not sure about media composer or if you need to do something like that??

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 08:26:53 AM »
right now im trying to use it as stand alone. if that fails i use a second machine and try it with protools

supernova777

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »
heres an idea why not try to test S/PDIF between the 888 + another simpler device..
if that works then its almost certain to be related to the 002's spdif out being in a format that the 888 cannot accept (samplerate/wordclock mismatch? professional vs consumer)

logically the only possibilities i see are:

A) the cable
B) the format of S/PDIF being the same on both output (device 1) & input (device 2)
C) i/o routing settings within the Digi 002
D:) i/o routing settings within the 888

is there another possible cause?

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 08:41:35 AM »
heres an idea why not try to test S/PDIF between the 888 + another simpler device..
if that works then its almost certain to be related to the 002's spdif out being in a format that the 888 cannot accept (samplerate/wordclock mismatch? professional vs consumer)

logically the only possibilities i see are:

A) the cable
B) the format of S/PDIF being the same on both output (device 1) & input (device 2) < as far as i can tell they synch visually. i unplugged the coax and it lost the synch just to test it
C) i/o routing settings within the Digi 002 < is set to channel 5/6 coax s/pdif
D:) i/o routing settings within the 888   < in media composer you can choose analog/aes/ s/pdif

is there another possible cause?

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 11:01:36 PM »
Damn I go get something approaching sleep, and you cats write a novelette!  :D

Word Clock is simply to reduce jitter, (jitter is real I tell you!), but great find on the jumper. I had completely forgotten about that one! There's just too much!!!

SPDIF ports are notorious for blowing out. Always (I know I've done it myself) power down at least one if not both sides when connecting SPDIF ports. A decent grade audio cable should be fine for SPDIF. Maybe not the cheapy consumer radio stuff, but I think I've even used those in the past.  ::)

The code from SPDIF will be the same, it's also the same with AES (for all intents and purposes).

Do you have another box with which you can test? I always like to create a test positive when things are being weird. But yeah you gotta get all the ducks lined up. You have to have the correct sample rate, the right ins to outs, the software setup in multiple places, etc.

Did you tell us what software you are using yet? Like the app, version number, associated apps (like DAE). I looked, but didn't catch it. Those things do matter. :P

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2015, 08:20:48 AM »
ok from start. im using avid media composer with the 888 and this one doesnt have the dedicated mic plug so they recommend a external pre amp or mixer. the only thing if you look at the back of a 888 you know what's possible. so the only option left for me is go with the s/pdif from the 002 into the 888 and try to get the mic useable. right now the 002 is standalone until i know for sure i cant get nowhere then im willing to try it combined with a second machine and protools to relay the signals.

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 05:19:22 AM »
Why do you need to use the 888? Just bring it in with the 002.