Author Topic: Intro  (Read 8327 times)

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
Intro
« on: April 30, 2015, 01:03:51 PM »
Hey guys, found this great site when setting up my MDD single with os9. I'm hopeing to use it inconjuction with my MPC-1000(even though Spark seems like it may make a good replacement:) I'm still trying to figure out setting up the audio...what driver does what, what sound card too use (too bad my firefly firewire doesn't work), but all in all, it has been a fun learning experience. Thanks for all the software preservation you guys host too 8) It really helps people out.

I just bought the Cubase 24/4.1 producer pack, brand new. I can't seem to authorize it (can't use the floppy authorizer on a G4...odd). Even though I can just download it here, I'm still gonna try and see if Steinberg will authorize it for me. What the hell, I did pay for :)

supernova777

Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 01:10:21 PM »
it should authorize from cd i think. not floppy?

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:18:22 PM »
u could always sync the mpc1000 to pro tools free!!!
depending on which mac u have.. if it has an audio in jack

see my recent post
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2501.0
its about the mpc 2000 but it should be similar to do with the mpc1000 i would think

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:28:31 PM »
It uses a CD for the Program and a Floppy for the authorizer. When I try to use the floppy to authorize it says that G4's cannot authorize using a floppy ( only G3's can :o ). It gives me code to send into Steinberg, and in return, they will send me another code to put in. Seeing that the software is from 1999, I think I'll just contact their customer support, even though it is listed as "unsupported".

Once I figure it out, Ill host it here (If I even get it working :) ), as it is a straight install of 4.1 with some nice plugins.

I'm definitely going to check out that mpc stuff. I love that thing and If I can use it with Pro Tools, that might make a dsp worth investing in :) Thanks

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »
I'll just post this here, as I don't see a reason to start another thread for this funny story.

When I was 10 (back in 1996) we used to use mac's for school, I think we all remember oregon trail:) I did all my writing assignments on those computers as well and I saved my floppy disk as well.

I found that disk in storage and I have been trying to open those files for a couple years now. They have no file extensions either, making my life harder.

When I got my G4 at a thrift store last year, I thought, ClarisWorks!!, it has to be ClarisWorks!! I loaded ClarisWorks and tried it out..... nothing. So, when I got os9 loaded a couple days ago, I thought, well it must be an older version of ClarisWorks, so I loaded up an older version of Clarisworks and...nothing again. I though, well the files must be corrupt, being an old floppy and all.

On a whim, I just double clicked one of the files with my old English assingments on it, and a message came up saying "This file only works with 'The Writing Center." I was ecstatic:) I found a copy of the writing center at MacintoshGarden and Bam!!, my papers loaded up. I had a complete flashback before my eyes, even the interface of that crappy old writing program took me back.

I actually wrote a very imaginative (and transperant, I might add:) ) story about a boy, who is givin money from a mysterious source, only to buy a Nintendo64 with Mario64 :) I really wanted a N64 back in the day and its really cool to read a story from a childs eyes about it.

Just want to thanks you guys again for this site, as this is where I found all my info on os9, including the install image. Can't wait to take screenshots and give these to my mom. We'll share a good laugh ;D

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 02:50:20 PM »

even if they would be willing to help i dont think steinberg can do much; the floppy authorisation is not (or at least not fully, i think you would need an IDE or scsi-connected floppy drive, usb wont work) supported on G4s.

here is where "buy the software but install the crack" comes into play.

may i asked what you paid for 4.1? this year?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 03:26:58 PM »
I also bought the producer pack back in the day. Now the floppy authorization will not work in anything other than the old world macs - i mean they can be made to work but they are not necessary to get this version working. Back in the day if you had bought the software around the time when the B/W G3's came in you could download an internet copy of the application and install that with the install CD in the drive. This bypasses all floppy disk authorizations and Steinberg authorizations codes. It was Steinberg Cubase VST24/4.1r1 NET or something like that - then there was an upgrade to this which was Cubase VST24/4.1r2 which was the final version 4 upgrade.

So -
- Put the CD-installer of Cubase VST24/4 into CD drive.
- Use this installer attached
- Plug in your serial number when asked and everything should be installed after waiting for authorization.

Hope it works for you

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 03:39:24 PM »
jakl to the rescue  8)

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 03:43:57 PM »
Thanks Chris... ;)

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 03:56:08 PM »
Thanks Jakyl, so all I had to do was mount version 4.0 :) Much easier than messing around with Steinberg. Thanks, will try tonight or tomorrow.

Now, I paid too much for it, I think? I paid $100.00 for..
Producer pac / 24
-Cubase Vst 24/4.1
-Adaptec Jam
-Spectral Designs Free Filter
-Sonic Worx Essential
-Waves Renaissance Compressor
-Tci Native reverb
-Hard copy of the manual:)
Everything was still sealed in the box. I think there is some other stuff residing on some of those disks too.

I didn't mind paying that much considering I bought it from a store that Ive been going too for the last 17 years. Also, for all the software I've gotton for free, I don't see it as a big deal paying a little too much for one purchase.

Please let me know if you guys want any of this stuff uploaded. I'm gonna check around this week and see whats been uploaded.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 05:03:16 PM »

it is you who decides if that is too much. given that it is not so easy to find a sealed boxed version of such an old software, you should be fine with it.

otoh, you now own it legally, but might not be able to register it. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »

it is you who decides if that is too much. given that it is not so easy to find a sealed boxed version of such an old software, you should be fine with it.

otoh, you now own it legally, but might not be able to register it. :)

Oh, the irony  :)

I think its worth it. It's allways nice to have the original manual too.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 02:31:13 AM »

Now, I paid too much for it, I think? I paid $100.00 for..
Producer pac / 24
-Cubase Vst 24/4.1
-Adaptec Jam
-Spectral Designs Free Filter
-Sonic Worx Essential
-Waves Renaissance Compressor
-Tci Native reverb
-Hard copy of the manual:)
Everything was still sealed in the box. I think there is some other stuff residing on some of those disks too.

Well let me see what macos9lives has out of this Producer Pack.
-Adaptec Jam - This is an earlier version, macos9lives has the much better later Jam version which comes in the toast 5 image.

-Spectral Designs Free Filter - This is a part of the Steinberg Mastering Edition which is on the macos9lives downloads section under effects I think.

-Sonic Worx Essential - This is the lower end of the Sonic Worx available on macos9lives.

-Waves Renaissance Compressor - This version I think was the 2.8 verson of the plugin. Macos9lives has the later Waves version 3 a complete set of all these effect plugins, much better.

-Tci Native reverb - I think macos9lives has the fuller version TC Works Native pack.

But hey your Cubase Serial is your very own - Happy Tracking.

supernova777

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 02:51:26 AM »
we still need to find tcnative 3.1 for mac os 9 so we can get that damn sidechain to work!! 8)

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »
haha. looks like my best solution is to use other software:)

supernova777

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
haha. looks like my best solution is to use other software:)

jakl gave u the file u need... by the download count.. it seems u have yet to put his contribution to good use!

i own 5.0 + the installation for 5.0 is the same.. u use the updated installer from the web.. and authorize by launching it with the cd in the drive...

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 04:40:24 PM »
Haha, yeah:)

I tried out a bunch of stuff right before I lost my os9 install. Needless to say I'm keeping backups for now on:)

I decided on a setup with Live 4 and Cubase 5. Im gonna use cubase to record audio and ambelton for the rest. I really like samplers too, so I'm giving halion and Kontact a try. I'm gonna go on youtube sometime this week and check out some drum machines. See what might be fun to jam on my drumset with. I'm really new to music software and having a blast so far!!

supernova777

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »
im running my os9 off a 16gb compact flash  8)

Offline macdrum

• new to the forums
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 05:27:14 PM »
are you using a CF2IDE adapter? Do you get a good difference in speed? I've been thinking about trying one of those out, seeing as IDE drives are getting hard to find, especially the 2.5." Most of my hardware is kinda old.

supernova777

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 02:08:43 AM »
yes they are extremely cheap to order on ebay.. i ordered 4 adapters for like under 15-20$ with shipping included - should have ordered more!
paid 24$ for my 16gb cf.. its only a 266x speed but my boot time is improved!
its best for system drive its got slower write speed by like 50% of the read.. but the read makes it worth it for starting up apps + booting..