Author Topic: Have Digidesign 13 port expansion, need card and cable  (Read 6011 times)

Offline mweed4

• new to the forums
    • A band I sometimes gig with
Have Digidesign 13 port expansion, need card and cable
« on: April 28, 2015, 11:30:15 AM »
 :) just picked it up for a paltry sum, need the card and cable,as well os os9.2 drivers/install package...
G4 Power Mac 2x500mhz, 2 gigs ram, 1 mix,2 farms,4 888/24s, os 9.2 Pro Tools 5.1.3, ****working again only because this forum , and its help Thank you!!!*****

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Have Digidesign 13 port expansion, need card and cable
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
9.2.2 is no problem here however it could bit of a challenge locating the proper cards/cables for the various chassis. Along with a 'host' card for the computer some of the chassis also need a controller card for the chassis itself. First step would be to determine make/ model of your chassis to:

a) determine if it's compatible with your computer and cards
b) determine which model 'Host' card and type of cable needed
c) determine if an additional back plane controller card is needed for the chassis itself

It's probably made by SBS (out of business)... or Magma

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:19 PM »
We need a OS9Lives! pictures database for all the chassis!!

I started this post http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2163.0 hoping users with chassis could bring some more info about them. If every user that had asked for help with chassis on this forum would have submitted photos we could have no doubt on buying stuff on eBay. But we are still waiting some photos.

Please, post photos of your 2 setups!

I am sure somewhere someone is throwing to garbage some still usefull chassis. Most IT eBay guys just split them and sell computers with the host card in!!!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:21:36 PM »

I am sure somewhere someone is throwing to garbage some still usefull chassis. Most IT eBay guys just split them and sell computers with the host card in!!!

right coz they have no clue what it is..
thats almost as bad as the people who sell echo layla without the host card :D

Offline mweed4

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 02:15:27 AM »
 :) I wrote to magma, and gave them the serial number, its a 13 port expansion, and does use a card in the computer. ...Its 399 for the host card and 100 for the cable......kind of steep, I'm going to keep looking on ebay. I got the expansion for 36 dollars, thats a steal i know, its an actual digidesign.....laylas , lol, Chris, I had 4 of those daisy-chained, in a pc, in a studio they actually worked awesome....That would be downright cruel to just sell the interface w/out a card lol, use it for door stop or something i guess.....Does anyone know, if that expansion chassis will work in a g4,dual 500 mhz,os 9.2? I've had the 888/24s a long time , but never owned a expansion chassis...will post pics tomorrow or next day, and the card in the chassis is still in there along with everything, all i need is the cable and the card that goes inside the mac.......wondering if its worth it though.....or if it will cause my system not to work as well, I love how reliable pt is once you get it dialed in os9, once you iron out probs it really works nicely.....
G4 Power Mac 2x500mhz, 2 gigs ram, 1 mix,2 farms,4 888/24s, os 9.2 Pro Tools 5.1.3, ****working again only because this forum , and its help Thank you!!!*****

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 07:23:31 AM »
Does anyone know, if that expansion chassis will work in a g4,dual 500 mhz,os 9.2?

If it's one of these it should work...

Magma 13 Slot Expansion Chassis — model P13R-D1 and P13RC1.5-D1

Magma 13 Slot Expansion Chassis — model PCI13R

Magma 13 Slot Expansion Chassis — model PCI-13-RX-400V (must have serial number PE01732 or higher)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 07:30:10 AM »
Its 399 for the host card and 100 for the cable......kind of steep, I'm going to keep looking on ebay. I got the expansion for 36 dollars, thats a steal i know, its an actual digidesign

Yes that's on the steep side! Cards and cables DO pop up for sale... just have to keep your eyes open! ;D

Offline mweed4

• new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 11:21:26 AM »
It has serial number on it, where do i find the actual model number , inside?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 01:29:52 PM »
Mine is the Digi branded 'SBS' and the model number is on the back... the Magma that I have also has the model number on the back.