Author Topic: whats the best daw under os9?  (Read 37721 times)

supernova777

whats the best daw under os9?
« on: November 14, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
please post your opinions!!

obviously the big choices are:  :o

Cubase
Nuendo
Pro Tools
Logic
Digital Performer
Live
Reason

whats your favourite?  post + let us know!!!  ;D 8)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: whats the best daw under os9?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »
Cubase VST 5  / 32

32 Bit floating Point Audio
Apogee Dithering,
Low latency
OMS support
Awesome VST Instrument support

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 06:10:36 PM »
Cubase VST 5  / 32

Cubase VST 5  / 32

32 Bit floating Point Audio
Apogee Dithering,
Low latency
OMS support
Awesome VST Instrument support

I'll add:
−Score edit.
−Audio rendering.
−Good look.
Logic and Live are ugly for mi taste and not "Mac Os 9 look and feel":)
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:57:00 AM »
clearly you are both pro steinberg, but what about nuendo??? it it lacking when compared to cubase vst 5?

from what ive read nuendo is now their flagship app, this has got me wondering now, when did this dynamic shift from cubase being their main product to nuendo occur.. perhaps around the time of this article;
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct01/articles/nuendomac.asp
dated october 2001
right after 9/11  :o

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 07:25:09 AM »
clearly you are both pro steinberg, but what about nuendo??? it it lacking when compared to cubase vst 5?

from what ive read nuendo is now their flagship app, this has got me wondering now, when did this dynamic shift from cubase being their main product to nuendo occur.. perhaps around the time of this article;
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct01/articles/nuendomac.asp
dated october 2001
right after 9/11  :o

I'd used Nuendo for a while, and I like it, it have some things better than Cubase VST 5, but Nuendo 1.5.2 is buggy, I have lost some works even after saving it to disk :(
Cubase SX and up, was based in Nuendo. In fact, the first versions of Cubase SX has less capabilities than Cubase VST 5
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:21:21 PM »
Chris, I am sure you would agree that there are many great tools for producing music on Mac OS. As far as the Cubase vs Nuendo debate, I would add that although Nuendo 1.5.2 is amazingly innovative (Supports 5.1 Mix) and although it is a great program (I was on the Beta Test team for Nuendo on PC), is was in it's infancy when OS 9 was shelved; it was a complete re-write from scratch (as compared to VST), so it is very buggy under Mac 0S 9 (I have also lost projects/time with then never ending Nuendo crashes). 

Cubase VST 5 is so much more solid since it was the final version with a long history on Mac OS.  Cubase "VST" was released first on the mac, was developed for mac, and was improved from 1996 thru 2001.  Its 5 year run as a Virtual Studio got better and better as PowerMacs got faster.  It may not have surround sound (like Nuendo), but it wins hands down in the stability & features department.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:26:26 PM by DieHard »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:20 PM »
I think best daw for os9 are protools Le for stability and Logic for performance of vst.
Protools born PowerPC from the first revision. Version 5 is legendary and is incredibly optimized. Look how a G3 with 350 can run lots of MC2000 McDSP on os9. Also the Realverb (later UAD reverb) make the balance to protools on G4s. I love Rtas. But there is a lot of VST power with logic. I have a usb emagic xskey with logic 5, 6 and 7 and running them on os9 is pure power mixing. I can't live without them both. I have a machine for pt5 and one for logic. 
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:02:38 PM »
Welcome Protools5LEGuy !

I have a usb emagic xskey with logic 5, 6 and 7 and running them on os9 is pure power mixing. I can't live without them both. I have a machine for pt5 and one for logic.

Are you saying you are running Logic 7 on OS 9 ?

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »
I had used 5, 6.01 and 6.5 on os9. The Xskey contains also 7 license (Os X)
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 10:01:52 PM »
Wow the infamous 6.5 under OS 9... I never got that one... always wanted it... I think LP9 under SL is an incredible product for the price... my favorite production machine these days is Mac Pro 8 core with LP9
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 10:20:54 PM by DieHard »

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »
When you taste Protools 9 HD (pirated) you forget Logic soon  -afro-. Some says Logic on Intel is unstable (logic8). Logic 6.x ppc is cool and stable.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 01:15:17 PM »
No offense Protools5LEGuy, I have had to used every incarnation of every DAW, and although ProTools has it's place, I am not a fan... The Logic / Cubase workflow matches my brain much better.  I don't hate PT, I have co-produced many projects with it, but I have more Fun with Logic.

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 02:52:21 PM »
i personally think that all the programs are capable of doing great things.. the difference is your understanding/familiarity with interacting with the program that is the deciding factor....
just like in real life u may get along better with person A moreso then person B but that doesnt make person A better then person B it just means that you have a stronger link to understanding Person A over person B.. + someone elses' Person A, may be person B.. confused yet? lol

-afro-

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
Good Point Chris  :D    Fuckin A ! (or B for that matter)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
I like A but I married B  ;D
B is better but A is more unfamiliar   :P
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 05:10:38 AM »
I'm a Logic guy since I fool with hardware synths a lot. However I'm really looking forward to trying Pro Tools for the audio side of things once my rig is finally up.

I was reading somewhere about how there are multiple ways to have both Logic and PT open simultaneously and somehow link them together.

If I can somehow use Logic for all the midi stuff, then flip up the PT window for all the routing and mixing, that would be perfect.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »
I'm a Logic guy since I fool with hardware synths a lot. However I'm really looking forward to trying Pro Tools for the audio side of things once my rig is finally up.

I was reading somewhere about how there are multiple ways to have both Logic and PT open simultaneously and somehow link them together.

If I can somehow use Logic for all the midi stuff, then flip up the PT window for all the routing and mixing, that would be perfect.
You have to tell Logic to not use any hardware. It can be used as TDM bridge and thru Direct Conect
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:19 AM »
Do you think running Logic strictly as a midi sequencer along with having Pro Tools open that it would bog the system down? I'm not using any softsynths - hardware synths only, so just strictly a midi file playing back can't be too hard on the system resources. Maybe since the midi is going straight to my interface and also since the processing is offloaded to the DSP cards for the audio side of things, it won't be so bad.

I guess I'd have to sync via midi clock or something.

I'll be trying all of this out soon once my rig is finished...

supernova777

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 02:32:27 AM »
Do you think running Logic strictly as a midi sequencer along with having Pro Tools open that it would bog the system down? I'm not using any softsynths - hardware synths only, so just strictly a midi file playing back can't be too hard on the system resources. Maybe since the midi is going straight to my interface and also since the processing is offloaded to the DSP cards for the audio side of things, it won't be so bad.

I guess I'd have to sync via midi clock or something.

I'll be trying all of this out soon once my rig is finished...

seems like it should doable as long as u dont have logic taking the audio interface and only locked to the midi interface.......
and pt locked to the audio interface....
u should be able to set up sync. but u would need a second midi interface for pro tools to sync to the other interface taken up by logic
for MTC transport sync etc
im sure theres other syncronization options tho..

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 03:19:48 AM »
OSX can do this by default using the IAC midi thing so no additional interface needed. Doesn't the OMS program in OS9 provide something like that?