Author Topic: whats the best daw under os9?  (Read 37706 times)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
Re: whats the best daw under os9?
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2017, 02:23:59 AM »
Just looked through a couple of Studio Vision 4.0 "tours" on YouTube. I must say that they got me very curious about SV.
Need to try it out in the studio for sure :P

Right now my all time favorite DAW is Pro Tools 5.1.3. The way it sounds is just amazing. I mostly work in Pro Tools 10 nowadays, but is sounds somehow less than 5.1.3. My all time favorite MIDI sequencer is Notator on the Atari ST. Still haven't found anything remotely like it. That's one of the reasons I still keep an Atari 1040STe in the studio.
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

macStuff

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 02:28:40 PM »
funny this thread ended up being about SVP, when that wasnt even in the original post ;)

im still surprised many here on this site have next to nothing to say about Ableton Live 4.14!
which is the most recently updated app available for mac os 9, after Logic Bailed on mac os 9
ableton held out till mid 2005 i think.. and still supported mac os 9 even after the intel macs were
rolled out!

Offline MusicWorks

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2017, 07:10:30 AM »
The short answer is: Logic.

It's were Apple put their money, when they purchased it from Emagic. They have very good advisors.

The long answer is: Well, it depends on your hardware and requirments.

The best answer: The one you feel most comfortable with and works well with your particular workflow. If you don't need MIDI and are recording a band, PT is great for a "take one, take two" recording sessions. If you need easy MIDI arranging, Cubase or Logic are the way to go. If you want to dig deeper, Logic or SVP.

Offline Astroman

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »
For years I've had a retired G3 B/W in the attic - then stumbled over a pair of Digidesign DSP cards for 100 bucks... too cheapo to pass. Soon a Digidesign 888 IO/20 with cable was added for another 100 plus one such 'abandoned' PT 5.1.3 software.
In fact: original value probably in the $25k range ;)

My main DAW is SawStudio under Windoze XP (few to no Midi) which also features a fairly extensive Creamware Scope DSP system.
For some specific plugins there's a dedicated Win-7 system with an Audient ID22 interface.
(just to illustrate my sonic background which spans native processing and 2 different DSP environments)

The soundquality of PT TDM and of some (not all) plugins really surprised me and I prefer it over most native Intel versions.
Originally the TDM rig was intended only as an external fx processor to add a different color, but it turned out audio editing was rather close to SawStudio so I consider it a full DAW now.
Most appreciated feature is the (named) region management/handling.

macStuff

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »
The short answer is: Logic.

It's were Apple put their money, when they purchased it from Emagic. They have very good advisors.

The long answer is: Well, it depends on your hardware and requirments.

The best answer: The one you feel most comfortable with and works well with your particular workflow. If you don't need MIDI and are recording a band, PT is great for a "take one, take two" recording sessions. If you need easy MIDI arranging, Cubase or Logic are the way to go. If you want to dig deeper, Logic or SVP.

well not always.. sometimes theres great features in other applications that we havent seen in action or learned how to use, sharing tips is great, not everyone has the same approach or technique.. but i would say that the opposite is even more true, that people tend to talk down other software that escapes their mode of thinking,  because they just cant grasp how to use it, either because of a hard-rooted preference in another interface/workflow or because they just have never learned how its done! but honestly this is way more due to lack of proper educational resources than it is due to anyones inability to learn.