Author Topic: whats the best daw under os9?  (Read 37726 times)

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
Re: whats the best daw under os9?
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2016, 10:36:46 PM »
Sure. Whatever setup you are refering to i think there is no problem as this imac is perfectly capable of low latency recording including using only the sound manager driver.

Are you using Midi ?
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Mako

• This transmission is coming to you...
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2016, 02:21:56 AM »
No MIDI. My synths are using headphone jacks for a line out.
Korg MS 20 Mini
Three Teenage Engineering POs
I have a Korg SQ1 OTW.

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2016, 01:23:07 PM »
I have used mostly Logic. I started with SVP and Max which I bought at a firesale price when Opcode went ot of business. I used Max a lot more than SVP, and still use it today.

The first "normal" linear DAW I used to any great extent was Logic 4.7 on a PowerMac 8500. It was a capable and stable setup which I would still recommend for old-world Macs. I used it with a Studio 4 for MIDI and IIRC a SeaSound Solo for audio. I don't do a lot of DAW work these days, but my go-to is Logic 6.4 running on a MDD G4. It has everything I loved about 4.7 but better.

I tried Cubase 4 and 5 but they didn't gel with my sensibilities at the time, I don't remember why. I tried ProTools 5 LE and really hated it then, but never had any ProTools hardware to use it with. Digital Performer I never spent any time with, I've only seen it when working with friends. My guess is that I went with Logic because it was the first one I was able to find my way around in. Going back to Cubase or ProTools now would have the benefit of my current experience. I had nobody to teach me anything.

One thing I liked about SVP is that it was easy to run practically anything in it via MIDI, so you could work and not even need to look at the computer at all. This might be true of others also, but it was easy with SVP.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
  • i did my time on mac os 9
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 10:24:39 PM »
Once you try midi interfaces with a serial port, you'll never go back. I was sad to see the B&W G3s be the last ones with it built in.

none of the b+w g3's had serial ports built in.. they were the first models to have USB and no serial port.
i think you must have this confused with the beige G3's!

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 04:07:06 AM »
Once you try midi interfaces with a serial port, you'll never go back. I was sad to see the B&W G3s be the last ones with it built in.

none of the b+w g3's had serial ports built in.. they were the first models to have USB and no serial port.
i think you must have this confused with the beige G3's!

The b+w g3's had one serial port built in that could be used with a serial keyboard/serial mouse and serial port dongles etc. but not serial port printing. And yes the serial midi on macs were rock solid!!

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 06:03:37 AM »
nope they didnt have any serial ports.. they all had usb..
u are confusing serial with ADB. ADB apple desktop bus for keyboard + mouse only.. no printers or modems.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
  Anything from B&W onward had no built-in external serial.  The modem serial port was only internal via the modem card slot and required a Stealth Serial Port to get a DIN connector extenally.  This continued as an option through the end of the G4 series.  It even works with the modem card slot in a G3 Pismo Powerbook if you're willing to make physical modification to allow it to fit and feed out a cable - I know because I've tried it myself.

ADB, external Serial and SCSI were all dropped at the transition and replaced by USB and Firewire.  The beige G3s desktops were the last of the older generation.

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
Confusing ADB with serial  ???

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 08:56:45 PM »
It even works with the modem card slot in a G3 Pismo Powerbook if you're willing to make physical modification to allow it to fit and feed out a cable - I know because I've tried it myself.

I thought that I might have been the only one! High five.

Offline geforceg4

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2016, 10:45:18 PM »
  Anything from B&W onward had no built-in external serial.  The modem serial port was only internal via the modem card slot and required a Stealth Serial Port to get a DIN connector extenally.  This continued as an option through the end of the G4 series.  It even works with the modem card slot in a G3 Pismo Powerbook if you're willing to make physical modification to allow it to fit and feed out a cable - I know because I've tried it myself.

ADB, external Serial and SCSI were all dropped at the transition and replaced by USB and Firewire.  The beige G3s desktops were the last of the older generation.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/specs/powerbook_g3_400_fw.html
is this the system u refer to that has a modem card slot?

Offline rvense

• Veteran Member
  • Lombard & son
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »
Yeah, the modem slot looks like it's the same in the Powermac G4s, Lombard and Pismo Powerbooks, and also the iMac G4s.

The Mac Mini and Powermac G5s have a different one, which may or may not be the same. I don't know about the iceBooks and Powerbook G4s.

The later G4 machines use a USB modem, and this also works in my Gigabit G4. The Stealth Port also works in the iMac G4, so that header is standard across a range of machines and appears to have both USB and serial (and possibly more) on it.

Offline Miro Le Ravi

• Enthusiast Member
  • is there anybody out there
    • Miro funky show
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 09:11:52 AM »
honestly  com in after 5 years  of atari 1040 STE  and a 24 tracks  akai 
i never found  the midi  grooving the same on cubase 
whatever the version  i used 
 i prefer pro tools and dp ( the 2.72 hi hi  ) 
it s artistic and romantic :)
 i know  it sounds crazy 
but the best audio  treat me
nt and stability is the dp2.72  with all the waves and vst wrapper  ..  all the rest   i use on  the mixing rack  out of the computer
it depends of the philosophy
when  you re more musician  and guitar and bass player like i am 
muliti instrumentiste 
[email protected]
you can hear my music
i  don't want to think and be absorbed by others things 
and it is a smart tape which a lot of possibilities 
that is all i wait from a computer
and no police like in mac os 10  in the house  :) 

la vie est belle c'est le monde qui est triste ...

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »
I have to revise my opinion on my favorite DAW.

Pro Tools is definitely the best for audio, hands down. I used to use Logic, but now - after using Studio Vision for a good two weeks and reading the entire manual cover to cover, Vision is by far the greatest midi sequencer ever made. Ever.

EVER.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2017, 07:33:27 PM »

Pro Tools is definitely the best for audio, hands down. I used to use Logic, but now - after using Studio Vision for a good two weeks and reading the entire manual cover to cover, Vision is by far the greatest midi sequencer ever made. Ever.

EVER.

Aahhh… another convert! You actually read the entire manual? Good for you! Educational as all hell, ain't it?

I must agree that PT in OS9 is certainly capable of excellent audio. BUT (and this is a great BIG Kardashian-sized BUT):

They're NOT comparable. I read all of the stuff you PT guys write back and forth involving your Accel cards and farm cards and host cards and card cards in your auxiliary Magma chassis and on and on. That's an awful lot of hardware that, even today, costs an awful lot of money. Back then, that hardware was literally Thousands of dollars, pounds, Euros…whatever

Compare SVP audio to PT LE or other version that uses only the host CPU and that "Pro Tools is definitely the best for audio, hands down" opinion will suddenly become very debatable.

Now, before all of the haters start accusing me of being controversial and trying to start a war, please just stop and think about it first.

ALL I'm saying here is that you cannot compare two systems that are so dissimilar where one of them uses the host computer only to control a giant stack of proprietary hardware. It's apples and oranges, or maybe watermelons.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2017, 09:00:32 PM »

EVER.

I've never used any version of Vision but after this bold statement I checked out a few of the SVP videos on the site... It sure looks powerful but yet relatively simple! Even though I haven't done any heavy duty 'sequencing' in @ 25yrs, SVP makes me wanna break out the old midi gear and start having some fun with it!! ;D ;D

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2017, 09:57:30 PM »
To clarify, Pro Tools provides the most intense and extensive audio facilities out of all the oldschool DAWs. You get next to no latency and most plugins are run on the 68k cpus on the cards, so even an old 9600 like I'm rocking can have as any plugins on it as you've got cards. The audio editing features in PT are top notch and stuff like the drum replacement features are grand. For strictly audio editing and processing/mixing, PT is the way to go.

But Vision is the main topic at hand. I read 20-30 pages a day, slowly. I once accused it of being too 'modular'. It's modular alright, but what I didn't know is how quickly you can switch between the tracks, graphic, pulse etc windows, and how quick it is to... well, do anything. SVP should have been named Logic because everything is placed right where you'd expect to find it. I'm getting more work done in this midi editor in record times than ever.

To give an example of why SVP turned out better: I had to go into the Logic environment and create this really elaborate multi split instrument thing with different channels and note keys flowing down different environment cables, just to get a drumkit going from two different modules. I got that shit running on SVP within 15 seconds  :o

I take it back when I said much earlier that Logic was better/the best for hardware synths. Nope. SoundDiver might support a lot of synths and you'd maybe want to use Logic for that, but nothing beats SVP for getting your tracks going pretty much as quickly as you write them.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2017, 10:55:54 PM »
I couldn't have said it better.
Let me add that: on top of all that, when you get Vision and Galaxy working together like Logic and Soundiver, you quickly wonder how you ever lived without them before.

For example, I can have a percussion section of drums, congas & perc etc., all with actual drum names, spread across as many tracks as I like (for clarity) in SVP driving 2 or 3 hardware modules (such as Alesis D4 & DM5 & maybe an Emu) the outputs of which come into 8 - 10 inputs on my board at mix which I then group as desired.

A little anomaly in any drum I don't like? One click puts me in the Galaxy editor (which is standing by in the background) for that drumset where I have complete control over every parameter. 1 quick adjustment, 1 click back and I'm movin' on. The workflow is incredible.

Offline wilcofan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
Studio Vision with a gport serial port on my B&W G3 is incredible.  And Mix cards are on the way.

MPC style erase and repeat and no hanging notes.  The arpeggiator is responsive and anticipates well what you expect.  These things alone begin to set it apart.  So musical and real-time.

The "Thru Instrument" concept is really hard to describe, so unique, but once you get it you'll be reaching for your sounds like you think of them.  It's a "trackless" mode you jump in and out of to audition your next part.  When you hit record a track automatically adapts to your current instrument.

Then there's the excellently strict rules each window in SVP adheres to.  Once you master one window you can whip around on any of them.  The cursor keys and +/- keys are heavily overloaded, depending where you are focused.

Little things like "just typing" when you are in a name field is so direct and intuitive.  You don't have to specifically tell SVP to do everything.  ;)

P.S.  It is so freaking easy to layer instruments from one track of MIDI...finally...
G3 400 B&W | Opcode Studio 3 | Midiman Biport | Digidesign TDM Mix

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
I'm always happy to see another convert to SVP. It's only after you actually use the app for a while that you realize how truly amazing it was and still is.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
I'd have made more, and better music years ago with it. I surely wish I hadn't missed out on it for years. I was a Logic nut for years, but I literally don't use it any more at all. I'll only ever use anything else if I HAVE to.