Author Topic: whats the best daw under os9?  (Read 37732 times)

supernova777

Re: whats the best daw under os9?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:52 PM »
OSX can do this by default using the IAC midi thing so no additional interface needed. Doesn't the OMS program in OS9 provide something like that?

oh yes thats right!
-- because osx midi's implementation was designed by old staff members of the opcode company i read somewhere..

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:34 PM »
I believe OMS is equal to AMS. So yeah Opcode guys did it.

supernova777

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 03:21:25 AM »
OSX can do this by default using the IAC midi thing so no additional interface needed. Doesn't the OMS program in OS9 provide something like that?

mac os 9 also offers an IAC bus

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 04:10:42 AM »
I can help out here, but Chris you have to go back and edit the OP to include StudioVision.  ::)

Okay arguably StudioVision was the very first program to integrate audio and midi at a high level. The previous apps were either a midi app, or a tape deck replacement. SV brought on the revolution. Would it have happened without SV? Sure, of course--but they were the first. ;)

Lets talk about some of the cats that programed at Opcode. I'll start with Doug--he's most apropo to the current discussion because he was the architect of OMS. I was at Opcode while he was creating OMS--it was an exciting time, and working with Doug was heady.

Doug went on to Apple when Opcode died. Guess what he did there? The same thing. :P Yup all of the Core Midi stuff was Doug doing OMS 2.0. This is why it rocks so hard. He took all his knowledge, and experience creating OMS, and applied it to Core Midi. There were probably some other folks that helped, but I don't know them so oh well.

Okay back to SV--Dave O. the captain of the Opcode ship, and the mind behind StudioVision went on to Digi after Opcode died. Guess what he's doing over there? Midi. :P Yup so all that tasty midi that's been showing up in PT is thanks to Dave. SV was being developed at the same time as OMS was being developed. It was an exciting time at Opcode. At the same time this was going on David Z. was making Max a commercial product via Opcode. Yeah it was really fucking cool to be around all these super cats. :D

In answer to your opening question: The one you know. Really it seems like a goofy answer, but it's totally true. If you don't know one yet then see what your friends use, because then you'll have someone to help you when you get stuck--and you will get stuck. Although forums and YouTube have changes things so much.

For me StudioVision is what brought me to this forum. Many of the other apps have made it to OS X, and have improved significantly over the years. I'm totally blown away by the current version of DP. Yeah sure there are things that I'd like to see it do. Zooming for one--it would be great if you could zoom with the touch pad like browsers, iPads, and iPhones do. But for going back to OS9 I think it's about using something that was special in that time, and for me SV fits that option pretty well. There are things it does well that other apps still don't do. Ray's strip charts are still the best, and the replace event/selection tools will make your head spin with ideas (and glad you studied math). ;)

If you get a chance on the E-mu Morpheus and Orbit there are demo songs that my buddy Jeremy and I did where I used a lot of my best SV continuous controller tricks. It was a lot of fun, and I'm grateful that E-mu was cool enough to let us do it. :D

supernova777

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 04:15:29 AM »
those 2 are the only e-mu modules i *dont* have prety much.. ok well there are more but i have a bunch other hten those.. Z plane filters ;D

i have a proteus-1, procussion + proteus 2000

thats cool that u did one of the demo tracks!!! interesting
and those were out in like.. 94 / 95!!
i was a dancing raver kid jumping up + down to breakbeats + house hihats at the time lol

yes ive been trying to stress the importance of opcode studio vision to the admins here for quite some time, they seem to think studio vision is an antiquated piece of *** and isnt worth posting in the downloads section unfortunately.. if it was up to me all the opcode downloads would be posted publicly. i dont know the program well but the ltitle that i have seen of it via videos on the tube, (and there arent many) + of course its history, has my utmost respect.. and i plan on making my b&W g3 dedicated to studio vision pro permanently.

from what ive seen it has a great deal of advanced thinking going on with its user interface... and theres a reason why it was first.. and revolutionary with what it was capable of doing. midi composers must have really loved working with it.

ive been told alot of the early 90s house music producers in new york used it first back in the very earlu 90s (1990/1991) (louie vega, benji candelario, wayne rollins etc)

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »
I'll respond to this after I get some sleep. I only got about 4 hours last night, and I'm totally roasted right now.  :o But Damn if all of this reminiscing isn't bringing back a flood of memories (mostly good ones).  ::)

I'll tell you lots about the Z-plane--they are wicked wicked wicked cool. 8)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 08:47:10 AM »
chokobo,

Thanks for giving us some inside info from the Opcode camp.  It was very interesting, and filled in some gaps.  Awesome post  ;)

Offline Knezzen

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Pro Tools Addict!
    • Macintosh Garden
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 10:20:46 AM »
As a DAW - Pro Tools, hands down
As a sequencer - Logic all the way :)
Pro Tools addict and admin at Macintosh Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and System 7 Today

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 12:40:15 PM »

yes ive been trying to stress the importance of opcode studio vision to the admins here for quite some time, they seem to think studio vision is an antiquated piece of *** and isnt worth posting in the downloads section unfortunately..

It's on the downloads from now on:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2527.msg14730#msg14730

if it was up to me all the opcode downloads would be posted publicly. i dont know the program well but the ltitle that i have seen of it via videos on the tube, (and there arent many) + of course its history, has my utmost respect.. and i plan on making my b&W g3 dedicated to studio vision pro permanently.

from what ive seen it has a great deal of advanced thinking going on with its user interface... and theres a reason why it was first.. and revolutionary with what it was capable of doing. midi composers must have really loved working with it.

ive been told alot of the early 90s house music producers in new york used it first back in the very earlu 90s (1990/1991) (louie vega, benji candelario, wayne rollins etc)
It had some very good points at the beginning. But the Object Oriented technology and superior VST implementation of Cubase greatly surpassed Studio Vision, IMHO.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 02:44:45 AM »
I'm with Knez on this one. Pro Tools for audio and mixing, Logic for sequencing. I tried Vision a few times and I just couldn't mesh with it. The piano roll looks weird, everything in it looks tiny so I have to squint at the screen, and it just seems like a rather 'modular' windowed program overall.

I spent 2-3 months setting up some default Logic and Pro Tools templates for everyday use. You absolutely can't beat Logic's screensets feature. I've got 9 of them assigned to the number keys on my keyboard for switching between the piano roll, the midi drum editor and the environment for changing midi patches on my hardware synths. That, combined with the 'link' feature on the windows, spread across two 1920X1080 monitors, and you absolutely won't find anything better ergonomically. I've got this down down to an art!

All of that is on two Powermac 9600 machines. I had to pay someone to hack some oldschool Mac video card drivers for me to have them run at 1920X1080. I'm probably the only person in the world with this setup  -afro-
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:02:34 AM by Syntho »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2015, 02:52:06 AM »
Also, from what I could tell, Vision was more about getting the skeleton of a song worked out so you have a glance at the big picture really fast. It seemed a lot more difficult to look at things close up to fine-tune things. It might look a little more organized than Logic, but that's why I'm rocking two widescreen monitors along with programmed screensets. With that kind of setup, I can instantly get the big picture, plus look at things at the microscopic level with the single press of a key. I spent more time trying to find out how to do stuff in Vision than I did actually using the thing. It might be good for a 'loop' type person, but when you're scoring orchestral stuff and you've got lots of hardware synths, Logic comes out on top.

supernova777

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2015, 10:40:16 PM »
I had to pay someone to hack some oldschool Mac video card drivers for me to have them run at 1920X1080. I'm probably the only person in the world with this setup  -afro-

interesting.. which cards are u using? i think i remember u mentioning "twin turbo pci" ?

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2015, 11:00:45 PM »
Yep, they're of the Twin Turbo variety. There are different cards of the same family that require different drivers so that means a different type of hack. Plus, if I remember correctly there are different revisions of the cards which have different EPROMs in them, and they also require a different type of hack. I have two of those Twin Turbos running at 1920X1080 with some long VGA cables and it rules. I also got him to program a system extension thing which switches the resolution at startup so no more having to manually switch it every time.

You can't go wrong with two 1920X1080 monitors running on a Powermac 9600 on System 7  -afro-

supernova777

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »
ive never been able to find a 9600 or anything older then a b&w g3
my first mac was a beige performa 6400 and i ran system 7 on it..
but did mostly photoshop + web design with it.
i dont even remember getting rid of it..
i think my parents must have recycled it after i moved out

2 whole pci slots;)
i dont think i even knew it could have a sound card added to it at the time..
definately no usb on that machine

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2015, 11:27:15 PM »
Once you try midi interfaces with a serial port, you'll never go back. I was sad to see the B&W G3s be the last ones with it built in.

supernova777

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
Once you try midi interfaces with a serial port, you'll never go back. I was sad to see the B&W G3s be the last ones with it built in.

u mean the beige g3's... the b&w g3s require stealth port via modem port
(or griffin gport/g4port http://web.archive.org/web/19991009053358/http://griffintechnology.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/19991014000405/http://www.griffintechnology.com/g3/gPort.pdf
http://web.archive.org/web/20030411081737/http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/gport/index.html )

i still am lacking one for my B&W.. i have a megawolf pci installed at the moment still trying to find
a stealth port for it.. to free up the pci slot.

didnt u have success with the keyspan pci card?

wow i didnt know thye made a serial adapter for the cube. that is probably rare as hell
http://web.archive.org/web/20030421232617/http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/gport/cubeport.html
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:56:03 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline Syntho

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2015, 01:03:43 AM »
Yeah, I meant the beige ones. I have one of those PCI cards but I forget which one. It works well, but I prefer the built-in ones on older Powermacs.

Offline Mako

• This transmission is coming to you...
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 11:22:01 AM »
What do you think the best DAW for an iMac G3 is? No mention on that angle. PT requires hardware which is hard to find.

Offline Philgood

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
For my iMac G3 DV 400Mhz i always used Cubase VST 5.1 or Logic 4 without any shortcomings.
*G4 MDD 1.25GHz (Single 2003)* with 2x 80Gb harddrives, 1Gb RAM, Tascam US-428 and Edirol FA-101 USB/Firewire soundcards-*iMac G3 DV 400MHz* with installs from OS 8.6-OSX Tiger on different harddrives-*Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz* with new SSD ! Love it.

Offline Mako

• This transmission is coming to you...
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2016, 01:47:29 PM »
Ok, would these allow live record? Say I have my drum machine and synth melody playing while I add a bass line and some added sounds live while they loop? Thanks for the quick response btw