Author Topic: pci vendor/device id hack for delta 410 card & pro tools m-powered  (Read 12659 times)

supernova777

admin: please forgive this offtopic related post
but this is not to do with mac os x, but rather changing the pci device id
is this possible? to change the device id of a pci card? editing rom?

the reason is.. for example, i have a delta 410 card.. that on windows lets me use it with protools m-powered, while on mac os x.. its dissallowed by the software (i believe this happens inside the actual executable of the app itself)
the difference in vendor+dev id on this is only 1 character off from that of a delta 1010LT or a delta66 card..
but yet pt m-powered will launch find with those cards installed no problem..

i have *8* of these cards which is why im so interested.. it may only have 4 inputs (2analog, 2digital) but when u stack 3-4 cards in a machine, u quickly get 4,8,12,16 inputs available

im wondering if therse a way to change this one character in the device id of the rom of the pci card itself..
can anyone offer me any guiding advice? is there anyway to hack this device id so that my software will see it as
as an "authorized" card supported by this m-audio version of pt?

seen in the attached image.. the device id of the delta 410 is d638 + this is disallowed by the software
but the cards that do work... are all 1 character different.. d630 (delta 1010), d632(delta66), d633(delta 44), d634 (audiophile 2496), d63b(delta 1010LT)
in fact i think ALL other cards work except this 410 card which has been dissallowed by m-powered for some stupid reason

if there was a way to do this, that would also mean that terratec envy24 cards could be made to work with m-powered aswell... also i read that the roland rpc-1/da-pci (da-2496) is also envy24 based and is supported by m-audios driver..

in imics soundblaster live hack. he changed the vendor/device id of the driver to match the hardware..
here im proposing the opposite.. to change forever the vendor/device id of the actual card itself
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:40:41 AM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: pci vendor/device id hack for delta 410 card
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 09:21:39 AM »
admin: please forgive this offtopic related post
OK, but the offtopics should be keep at bare minimum.

In the case of the Sound Blaster Live we have to change in the software driver, the ID of the "new" card to enable it and trick the drivers to work with it, ie: to work with a PC card as if it was a Mac card.
So the procedure may be the same, but modding the Delta drivers.

Otherwise, to change the ID of the card itself you have to read the card ROM and change the ID in the card ROM file and flash it again ... I don't know if there is tools available for such procedure ...

May be we can do the same with the Powercore and UAD cards ... LOL
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »
i think there is a pci vendor device id check happening inside of the actual m-powered executable binary file compiled into the program but i could be wrong...

it could also involve the driver aswell.. its either happening in the executable.. or the drivers. or a combo of both

either way.. it works with the delta 1010/66/44/audiophile and i think it also works with the DIO/TDIF cards.. im not sure why they disabled it for the 410 card.. perhaps thi card uses slightly less quality component somewhere in its architecture
or perhaps they just wanted to be pricks;)

like i said i know it works on the pc with the delta 410 card.. this may be a result of the cracked by AIR pc version of m-powered. i will do a test to see if it works with a 'vanilla' install off the commercial m-powered 7.3 cd on the pc now to make sure. if it fails i know that the reason it works is because they cracked the executable file.. but if the pci card device id was changed this would fool the 100% vanilla installer for sure.

looking at the delta 410 card there is a eeprom chip that is installed via a socket that could be removed from the card + Read in some type of card reader!!!

appear to be a 8 pin PDIP or  DIP-8
http://www.amazon.com/ATMEL-SEMICONDUCTOR-ATTINY85-20PU-ATtiny85-Microcontroller/dp/B00C9NXO9A
would this be the rom chip?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:38:24 AM by chrisNova777 »

supernova777

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:31:19 AM »
would this be the rom chip?
For sure. IMHO

supernova777

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:35:50 AM »
i have checked one of the earlier revision delta 1010LT card and it has the same chip
but the other later versions have the chip soldered to the card itself

i guess i could try to swap these chips + see if it works!!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:43:10 AM »
i guess i could try to swap these chips + see if it works!!
I was thinking on suggest to you the same. LOL

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

Re: pci vendor/device id hack for delta 410 card & pro tools m-powered
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:48:53 AM »
its definately that chip that identifies the card because it says right on the chip itself written by hand in pen "L/T" so they obviously had a guy who installed the chip by hand the appropriate firmware for each card

i thought it was just scribbles but the other one on the 410 definately says "410" aswell!!
AHA!!! EUREEKA!!

so all i need to do is copy this chip for the delta 1010LT and replace the chips on my delta 410 cards and pro tools mpowered will see them all as workable cards in a g4!!

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »
my only concern - could this damage the card?? i guess i have 8 of them.. if one dies its a reasonable sacrifice
lol

supernova777

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
i just swapped the chips... and IT WORKS!! pro tools m-powered launches ;D

but in the io section it shows up as a delta 1010LT (of course)

i tried to record and it will not record.. so a hack is definately able to work.. but it still needs the proper setup of the card in the rom for the card to work properly!!!! this device id is the only thing needed to be changed i think
i dont believe that the setup information + name for the card is whats disabling it only the device id!!!
the card isnt working properly because it doesnt have the proper setup info in the chip... architecture is configured differently on the cards even tho they both use the same 1712-BBABA envy24 chip

but at least i confirmed that this card can authorize pt m-powered with the right device id!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:15:48 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »

:) :D ;D :D :)

Now I'm going to test the Pro Tools M-Powered with my Audiophile 24/96. 8)
.., oh wait, there is no Pro Tools M-Powered for Mac Os 9... thank god that I don't like Pro Tools. LOL

supernova777

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 12:16:27 PM »
yes jerry had said he was going to send me one audiophile card but he doesnt like me very much

if u could confirm that the audiophile 2496 has this same rom chip socket?

a cheaper programmer here (usb)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVR-System-Development-Board-Professional-USBasp-Programmer-NO-Chip-/361205765563?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:28:48 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »
if u could confirm that the audiophile 2496 has this same rom chip socket?

It have the same 8 pins socket. But the chip seems to be different ( 24LC01B on the Audiophile 24/96 ). But even been the same or compatible, the ROM may be different because both cards may have different CPU (Envy24 VT17126-0726CD on the Audiophile 24/96 )

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
after carefull examination i believe now that it is the DAE that is doing the pci device id check

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 01:39:03 PM »
after carefull examination i believe now that it is the DAE that is doing the pci device id check

Let's learn to hack DAE!
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 01:44:05 PM »

:) :D ;D :D :)

Now I'm going to test the Pro Tools M-Powered with my Audiophile 24/96. 8)
.., oh wait, there is no Pro Tools M-Powered for Mac Os 9... thank god that I don't like Pro Tools. LOL

MacTron,if you have time and will, you could tell us what Logic Delta is able to do. I think Logic Delta works with AP2496
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 02:12:39 PM »
we dont have a copy of logic delta