Author Topic: eMac Standing by  (Read 15052 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: eMac Standing by
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 08:08:43 AM »

the 9200 drivers have me totally confused.. i really dont understand why some of them crash - its a huge confusing mess.

not all 9200 gfx adapters are the same gpu or something..
like the 9200 le is different somehow from teh 9200 mac edition
or the drivers are screwed.. like i said i hope we can one day finaly once + for all,  figure out the 9200 graphics mystery.

Yes. It is really weird. Even though the latest versions of the ATI drivers for Mac Os 9 include support for Radeon 9200, It won't work with some cards. Or maybe this non working cards are variants of the original (mobility, LE, SE, etc...) We know that a different product ID is enough to disable proper drivers support.
In fact the eMac Radeon 9200 identifies itself as Merlin ¿?
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2015, 01:57:02 AM »
i was really hoping that imic would finally solve this radeon 9200 fiasco mystery
once and for all!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2015, 02:32:43 AM »
i was really hoping that imic would finally solve this radeon 9200 fiasco mystery
once and for all!

iMic has extracted a "merlin" driver from Os X, but it didn't work  :'(
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline iMic

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
The ATI "Via" (Mobility Radeon 9200 for iBook) is the only working extension at the moment. It's a little difficult to test extensions without the actual hardware in front of me.

I tested and tweaked the Via extensions probably around a hundred times before getting it right as well, so testing over the internet with someone else's machine isn't a viable option.

That said, because the NDRV from Mac OS X partially worked inside the OS 9 extension, I can't see a reason why the NDRV for the Merlin and other cards shouldn't also work. It's simply a lot of trial and error.

Offline Mike Richardson

• Valued Member
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »
The ATI "Via" (Mobility Radeon 9200 for iBook) is the only working extension at the moment. It's a little difficult to test extensions without the actual hardware in front of me.

I tested and tweaked the Via extensions probably around a hundred times before getting it right as well, so testing over the internet with someone else's machine isn't a viable option.

That said, because the NDRV from Mac OS X partially worked inside the OS 9 extension, I can't see a reason why the NDRV for the Merlin and other cards shouldn't also work. It's simply a lot of trial and error.

Is there any details of this?

Very interested to try this somehow.

Offline Michael David mullett

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 07:07:55 PM »
I have Found That The DVD image that the SanDisk usb Dongles boot to the Desktop Can Be Used to Boot OS 9.2.2 and OS X to the Mac’s they say Cant be done, I have done this Many times and Ran the OS for Hours or Days and Shut down and Rebooted to them any time I wanted, But this will Not happen On the eMac 2005 that was Updated it won’t show the USB as Bootable and The COMAND+Option+O+f Does Not Work Either all I get is A Ghostbusters Sign That Lets Me Know Its Not Going to Work anyone Know a Work around to Accomplish This?

Offline lduley

• Newcomer
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 07:30:46 AM »
I literally just recently got os9 fully working on a eMac 700mhz machine.  The Universal install off the forums wouldn't install using the system restore, it kept crashing during the install, but when I got (I'm fairly sure) the same file off MacRepository, it installed fully with no issues.  I get an error here and there with After Dark, which doesn't surprise me as I know that its not fully compatible with 9, even the "fixed" version.  My eMac has the nVidia card though, not the ATI so that may change alot of things also?

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 12:30:58 PM »
Great news indeed. Glad that you're up and running!

Please post the exact filename / URL source for the "working" file that you got from MacRepository and
the filename that didn't work for you, from here... so that we may compare the files and possibly update
as necessary. This would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Also, how about your <256 color monitor setting? Are you now able to choose less than 256 colors
as was discussed on this thread? http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4191.msg28852.html#msg28852
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 01:16:03 PM »
I literally just recently got os9 fully working on a eMac 700mhz machine.  The Universal install off the forums wouldn't install using the system restore, it kept crashing during the install, but when I got (I'm fairly sure) the same file off MacRepository, it installed fully with no issues.  I get an error here and there with After Dark, which doesn't surprise me as I know that its not fully compatible with 9, even the "fixed" version.  My eMac has the nVidia card though, not the ATI so that may change alot of things also?

Now I'm confused. According to MacTracker, the first two eMacs (4,4) (which would be the 700mHz model) were / are OS9 compatible right out of the box.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
Gary,

Might review the (above mentioned), original thread with the initial situation specifics.
That might dispel any confusion.
This Must Be The Place

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 08:45:07 PM »
Oh yeah…that was helpful. No confusion at all there…

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »
I have Found That The DVD image that the SanDisk usb Dongles boot to the Desktop Can Be Used to Boot OS 9.2.2 and OS X to the Mac’s they say Cant be done, I have done this Many times and Ran the OS for Hours or Days and Shut down and Rebooted to them any time I wanted, But this will Not happen On the eMac 2005 that was Updated it won’t show the USB as Bootable and The COMAND+Option+O+f Does Not Work Either all I get is A Ghostbusters Sign That Lets Me Know Its Not Going to Work anyone Know a Work around to Accomplish This?

Is that a 'real' 9.2.2 boot or is it a 'classic mode' boot?  Is there a download source still available for this DVD image you mention so that I can play around with it myself?