Author Topic: g4 cpu's  (Read 10595 times)

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
g4 cpu's
« on: April 18, 2015, 06:17:05 AM »
anybody know if the g4 cpu's can be swapped with any of the g4's no matter what year or model ?

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: g4 cpu's
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:14:55 AM »

definitely not; the cases where it would work are the exception.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
anybody know if the g4 cpu's can be swapped with any of the g4's no matter what year or model ?

Between MDDs : You only take care of the system bus (133 or 166 Mhz) where the CPU comes and were it will be installed, to avoid over/downclocking unintended.

Between Sawtooth, Gigabit, Digital Audio and QuickSilver, take care of extra power supply that require the "modern ones" if installed on the "older ones" and the system bus (100 or 133 Mhz) where the CPU comes and were it will be installed, to avoid over/downclocking unintended.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:12:19 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
do you know by heart how it is going with the QS 2001 and 2002? i think some configurations will also work (without changing settings on the board and stuff). or is bus speed all you have to look for?

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
my qs failed and i cant figure out why. everything seems to be ok and im going to replace the unit but if i get one here locally and its not a qs i would like to know if i can take the 933 out of it and get the machine as close to what the qs was.

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
my qs failed and i cant figure out why. everything seems to be ok and im going to replace the unit but if i get one here locally and its not a qs i would like to know if i can take the 933 out of it and get the machine as close to what the qs was.
All Digital Audio can take QS cpu boards modding a 4th post with +12 volts.

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:31:46 AM »
no modding i want my machine running thats all. right now im on the edge because i was waiting for that comp and its been sitting here for 2 days

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »

as mactron said, when you would try to put a 1.0 processor from an MDD (167 bus speed) into it, it would run at a lower clock in a QS.

your best bet  is to find a 933 CPU - there are more people selling old macs in parts than you might think.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »
If both macs have a 133Mhz main bus you only have to take care if the CPU need extra power or not. Usually it implies to connect the CPU card to a Power Source MOLEX cable.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
so im stuck. i guess i order a replacement and wait another week

may the force be with me because my wife will chop my head off  ;D

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2015, 11:38:19 AM »

as mactron said, when you would try to put a 1.0 processor from an MDD (167 bus speed) into it, it would run at a lower clock in a QS.

NO. the MDDs CPUs are only compatible with MDDs and xServe (taking into account the Bus Speed).

Between MDDs : You only take care of the system bus (133 or 166 Mhz) where the CPU comes and were it will be installed, to avoid over/downclocking unintended.

But the other G4s Macs can be interchangeable taking into account the Bus Speed and the CPU power needed.

Between Sawtooth, Gigabit, Digital Audio and QuickSilver, take care of extra power supply that require the "modern ones" if installed on the "older ones" and the system bus (100 or 133 Mhz) where the CPU comes and were it will be installed, to avoid over/downclocking unintended.

supernova777

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »
i think devils advisor is looking for the "mactron MARL guide" to cpu swapping
lol
 ;D

it would be good to have a chart of some sort
showing which cpus can be swapped to which machines
successfully...

i imagine such a chart with all mac models alone the left  top to bottom, and then another list left to right along the top with coding + note to specify which is capable

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »
something like that would be perfect in case you have a situation like i do right now and you need a 5 minute quick solution

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »
i guess normally one would always try to replace a lost part with one of the same kind.

supernova777

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 05:00:10 PM »

from the sawtooth to the pre-133mhz bus G4's - these can all be upgraded to Dual 500Mhz cpus I think which u can see on the chart. is the highest 100mhz bus cpu
the only catch is u have to check the uninorth with http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/13551/uninorthasicchecker to get a positive result.. then u know it will accept this dual 500mhz cpu

taking this 100mhz bus cpu type and putting it into a qs would result in it being massively overclocked i think.. which probably isnt a good idea?? (mactron myabe knows more?)

as protoolsleguy pointed out, these pre-133mhz g4's can also take a DA/QS 133mhz cpu as well, if they have voltage wired to the 4th pin, but the cpu runs slightly slower due to bus difference, so the dual 1ghz QS cpu would run as a dual 750mhz? or something liek that? the qs cpus 867, 933, dual 800, + dual 1ghz are all excellent cpus....with 2mb cache but the 733 has NO cache... but remember the DA 733mhz does have cache but only 1mb.. so my reccommendation for devils advisor would be to find one of these qs cpus.. 867,933 or dual 800 or dual 1ghz.. find me a dual 1ghz;)

and of course any Quicksilver CPU can be easily transplanted into any Digital Audio model (and vice versa) as they are basically the same motherboard config..  which means u can take a 1ghz dual QS cpu and put it into a 466 Mhz Digital Audio... and boom!!! major gains.. from 314 geekbench to 854..biggest jump in stock cpu swap.. the ghz remaines the same because they are both 133mhz bus systems and no extra voltage is required .. u could also put any digital audio cpu into any quicksilver... the only drawback is these machines only take 1.5gb of ram

another thing to notice i think is that the DA/QS systems require 133mhz Sdram..
to match its bus speed

but..we have alot of this information already posted here on old threads from fall 2013

below ive attached an image of the dual 500mhz cpu on a g4 motherboard
u can see it does not interfere with the ide interface.. which adding a QS/DA cpu onto a pre-agp g4 would require...
it would appear someone has already done this as if IIRC the sawtooth is the only board that has an internal firewire port
and this internal port was taken away for the "mystic"/"gigabit" models which originally featured this dual 500mhz cpu
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:47:40 PM by chrisNova777 »

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 06:51:42 PM »
meanwhile he found out that the CPU was not the problem.

supernova777

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
meanwhile he found out that the CPU was not the problem.

lol.. figures