Author Topic: success & failure...  (Read 4474 times)

supernova777

success & failure...
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:24:47 PM »
so today i decided to finally get my low noise fan mod done on my 1.25ghz 2003 mdd

all was going fine untill i tried to plug in the psu with it open to see if the fans were running.. it seems the psu needs to be in place for its ground wire to make contact with the case anyway.  it was a light show! i saw sparks.. luckily i was not electricuted LOL

so one of my mdds has bit the dust.. at first i was pissed but now im seeing it as a blessing in disguise as i really have alot of macs.. too many.. and i have to move soon to a new place to live.. and i was dreading how i would be moving in with 5 powermacs + 1 g5.. so at least my numbers have shrank..

what sucks is the 1.25ghz mdd i have has one usb port that was broken when i bought it... so id probably haev to put in a usb card (like the one diehard gave me for the geethree sweethub..) im already down one pci port from the stealth port bracket (thanks diehard) so that means i can only populate 2 pci slots in my mdd which really sucks. this is another reason why i like the quicksilver design so much better... that u can attach a stealth  port where the modem connection was like the sawtooths + yosemites..  anyways it might be all good if i decide to use my pci-424 motu system as 1 card is all thats needed..

the fan mod was a complete success.. the mdd is now the quietest mdd i have ever *NOT* heard... i cant reccommend the fractal r2 fans more! they are very quiet.. and im sittin next to the mdd in a quiet room and the noise is very low.. almost negligible.. ive already reccommended this mod to mrhappy .. to anyone else who wants to try it.. its worth it.. just dont plug in your psu when its not in its final appropriate resting place with the metal psu touching the rear of the case so its properly gounded ;)

supernova777

Re: success & failure...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:36:02 PM »
to correct my lack of usb ports ive just installed the sweet port hub in the lower mdd cd spot..  8) 8)

wow! its amazing to have this baby humming so quietly;)

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
that's great news about the fans, as mine are on the way!! I'm psyched now!!! ;D ;D

P.S. ... I'm glad you're still alive and not fried!!! ;D

supernova777

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 09:51:49 PM »
more failure. my sweetport hub card is DOA dead.
doesnt work.. SUCKS because it looks pretty sweet..
i might have to order a replcement pci card.
the card doesnt show up in the system profiler at all
how wierd is that..
the mac doesnt even see it
it must be fried

ohwell at least i have *1* super quiet mdd;) with *1* usb port lol
i have another usb 2.0 card i can throw in there i guess that will fix it
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:26:04 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 07:26:29 AM »
At least you've still got your health! ;D  Having dead components SUCKS though!!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »
Try to save the CPU board if it works on your MDD 866.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »
i blew the power supply from my 1.25 2003 mdd.. when doing the mod.
so i had to take the psu from my dual 867 and use it with the single 1.25 to bring it back to life...

i will be gettin rid of the dual 867.. which is a shame because i was going to put a radeon 9800 pro mac edition into this machine and use it for osx because it supports the dual processor better..  but now i will be probably recycling this machine because i cant be bothered to replace the psu
and i have to move soon... maybe i will look to see if i can find a 1.42 dual somewhere or dual 1.25 but i will probably just stay happy with my 1.25ghz mdd single cpu.. and my 933 quicksilver.. i like the quicksilvers better actually.. in that my grifin gport doesnt block a pci slot the way that i have to in the mdd to addthe serial port..

i was trying to figure out another way to implement this serial port without blocking a pci slot.. but i dont want to cut a hole in the case to hang this out the back. i aslo thought maybe i could simply cut a hole in a pci bracket tosqueeze the wire of the serial stealth port thru on another card but thats destructive aswell

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 09:11:16 AM »
Got the Fractal fans in the mail this morn... will try to install within the next few days! ;D

Offline chokobo

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 11:49:06 PM »
Wow--to get the MDD to be not heard is a huge level of success. I think it's the noisiest computer I've ever owned--and I've had a lot of them! Too bad it was such a painful road.

If it was only the PS that's probably fixable--although maybe not really worth the trouble. You could post it up for free on Craig's and let someone give it a shot. Recycling takes the machines out of circulation, and some day we'll all be looking for parts. :P