Author Topic: Youtube with Mac OS 9  (Read 28684 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Youtube with Mac OS 9
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 07:24:12 AM »
My version converts filetype with a droplet - launching is only one more click.

"a better finder rename" and its bigger brother "file manipulator" support making droplets.

i have a whole bunch of such droplets which f.e. change type/creator based on extension supporting my daily workflow on crossplatform development or audio work.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »
honestly.. if u want to watch ayoutube video
just use your smartphone
why do it on a vintage mac that predates youtube itself?
Honestly, … if you are interrested in excoriating Mac OS 9, a forum of Mac OS 9 users and lovers is perhaps the wrong place for you. I am not going to argue with you about serious reasons of different people, why watchig youtube with Mac OS 9 is interresting. I for example still use no other OS at all. So, … your posting is nothing more than a classical trolling.

Usually I'd follow the advice not to "feed the troll" like I did with you the last years. But this time somebody really needs to tell you to leave alone very new users like GigaG above! New users may think that you are an integral part of this forum and important, as they don't know the history of your – at least four – users. And as they don't know that you are accepted – and it could be called on probation – here, and not 100% welcome. So they may feel awed, what is absolutely not necessary!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:34:33 AM by Mat »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 11:12:28 PM »

Offline Roman323

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »
As one who started life on the Mac with OS 9.0, barely knew OS 8, I really have a heart for this OS and believe it can be revised for modern use. Getting YouTube to run on OS 9 is very interesting and gives me plenty of hope that this forums members can make OS 9 work for the modern world. OS 9 has more potential than we know.

I remember in 1999, March I think maybe it was in Summer when I worked for CompUSA abd bought my 1st PowerMac G4 for 1599.99, a sawtooth - I also bought OS 9 retail (still have it) and AppleWorks 6.5.4. I also bought Mac OS X Server v1.23. I have 3 PowerPC Macs today - sadly, I had to part ways with my Sawtooth 350 at the time.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »
What I see interesting here, as Dronecatcher noted on the MacRumors post is that Quicktime can play 3gp files, but you have to change using filetype to "fool" Quicktime.

3gp is a container and supports H263 and H264. it seems that youtube mostly streams it as H263, probably because there are a lot of old phones which dont support higher codecs - just as OS9.

why this plays after changing the type remains a mystery (i guess the container is ignored if  the type doenst fit to it) - however the same method would work for a .avi, too (with a known codec... rare but exists, mostly 263 but also also older divx if you have that installed.)

Offline PowerFinnrich

• Valued Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2020, 04:05:26 PM »
Hello,
I am new in the world of classic Macintosh.
I just found and revived an old Power Macintosh 9600/350 ca. one week ago.
And I am actually writing this message on that fascinating machine using Classilla.
However, I wonder, if it is still possible to download Youtube videos or at least mp3-files in OS 9 somehow?
That would be awesome.
I have tried out several Youtube-converter sites but they do not work here.
But is there still an option to do it?
Browsing this forum with my PowerMacintosh 9600/350 with OS 9.2.2!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2020, 07:28:46 PM »
https://www.genyt.mobi/
http://www.genyt.mobi/

but seems down atm (cloudflare side)

all other sites use java7 and/or greasemonkey scripts, that is miles away from classic mac os or even any PPC. :)

Offline PowerFinnrich

• Valued Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 08:31:29 AM »
Hello back again from my Macintosh and thank you for your answer!
Well, you are right, unfortunately the servers are down...
I hope that they will run again soon.
Browsing this forum with my PowerMacintosh 9600/350 with OS 9.2.2!

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 01:11:10 AM »
https://www.genyt.mobi/
http://www.genyt.mobi/

all other sites use java7 and/or greasemonkey scripts, that is miles away from classic mac os or even any PPC. :)

You can use Java 7 on Leopard, technically. OpenJDK. Tiger comes close with real Java 6 (Developer Preview). Will Snow Leo on PPC be able to go higher than 7?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 01:36:41 AM »
as of today there are probably more problems that that, the certificates wont work with safari or TFF either.

not to speak of OS9 :)

Offline Roman323

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 12:02:22 AM »
https://www.genyt.mobi/ - DEAD LINK
http://www.genyt.mobi/ - DEAD LINK

Tried these on 4/19/2021.

Offline keithiepoo

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2022, 11:00:12 PM »
honestly.. if u want to watch ayoutube video
just use your smartphone
why do it on a vintage mac that predates youtube itself?
Honestly, … if you are interrested in excoriating Mac OS 9, a forum of Mac OS 9 users and lovers is perhaps the wrong place for you. I am not going to argue with you about serious reasons of different people, why watchig youtube with Mac OS 9 is interresting. I for example still use no other OS at all. So, … your posting is nothing more than a classical trolling.

Usually I'd follow the advice not to "feed the troll" like I did with you the last years. But this time somebody really needs to tell you to leave alone very new users like GigaG above! New users may think that you are an integral part of this forum and important, as they don't know the history of your – at least four – users. And as they don't know that you are accepted – and it could be called on probation – here, and not 100% welcome. So they may feel awed, what is absolutely not necessary!

I'm late to the party here, but well said.
“You're giving me the ‘it's not you, it's me’ routine? I invented ‘it's not you, it's me.’ Nobody tells me it's them not me; if it's anybody, it's me.”  ~ George Costanza