Author Topic: Pinnacle CineWave  (Read 10468 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Pinnacle CineWave
« on: April 10, 2015, 05:52:15 PM »

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/article/Pinnacle-CineWave-12-Now-Available-4844#bottomdisplay
Pinnacle Systems, Inc. today announced the immediate availability of CineWave 1.2, the newest version of the company's nonlinear editing package. CineWave is software and hardware working together on the Apple Power Mac G4. CineWave version 1.2 contains new features including CineOffline, support for 16-bit YUV and 8-bit RGBA codecs, and HD qualification and support for Final Cut Pro 2 with most popular HD formats.

CineOffline allows CineWave users to maximize costly storage space by using offline qualities to reduce the size of the media within a project. Even though a scaled-down version of the footage is stored to disk, the user still edits with a full-size image through CineWave's real-time hardware scaling features. With CineOffline, users can conform or scale up the file to full resolution at uncompressed standard definition and/or high definition quality for finishing at anytime. Furthermore, CineOffline enables one to edit with CineWave on a computer that does not have the TARGA Cine Engine hardware.

Apple and Pinnacle Systems have partnered closely to provide support for most HD formats through the combination of Final Cut Pro 2 and CineWave 1.2 software. CineWave 1.2 includes support for most popular HD formats including 1080i and 1080/23.976p, the most widely used frame rate for film production.

About CineWave
CineWave 1.2 includes Commotion Pro 4, a full version of Apple's Final Cut Pro 2, Knoll Light Factory, and the TARGA Cine Engine. CineWave provides numerous editing capabilities for acquisition, post-production, and delivery in most any format, including: DV, DigiBeta, uncompressed 601, PAL, NTSC, 1080i, 1080p, 4:3, 16:9, DVD and Web. There are two Digital Tether ports for connecting to a family of SD and HD break-out boxes for flexible I/O options. CineWave is available from Pinnacle Systems' dealers worldwide at a starting price of $6,495 (USD). CineWave 1.2 is a software upgrade for existing customers. Customers may download the upgrade at www.pinnaclesys.com/cinewavesupport.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010802040031/http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage.asp?Product_ID=108

The New Wave in Digital Cinema    
   The freedom to create, the power to produce, all at an amazing price that you can afford. CinéWave, the new wave in digital cinema.       

CinéWave is software and hardware working together seamlessly to deliver unprecedented quality and flexibility on the Mac G4. Infinite layering, awesome effects, advanced non-linear editing, the fastest and most accurate motion tracker, and paint and compositing tools that will blow your mind.

CinéWave delivers true uncompressed video quality for all major video formats. Work with composite, component, D1, or even DV. Pick your aspect ratio - 4:3 or 16:9 - and output to tape, CD, DVD, or streaming media files. CinéWave can handle your format and I/O requirements. When you need HD, it's an easy upgrade. Uncompressed 1080i/60, 1080p/24, and 720p formats are all supported.

Key Features:

High precision processing 4:2:2 or 4:4:4:4
        Industrial-strength digital video editing with Final Cut Pro
        Integrated Compositing, Effects, and Paint with Commotion Pro
        Native QuickTime
        Realtime 3:2 pulldown for converting 24fps to 30fps
        Selectable aspect ratio - 4:3 or 16:9
        Selectable frame rate - 24/25/30
        Simultaneous output of SD and HD
        Uncompressed High Definition - 720p, 1080i, 1080p
        Uncompressed Standard Definition - ITU-R.601, NTSC/PAL

Competitive Advantages:

Hardware and software from Pinnacle Systems. CinéWave is next generation compositing, effects, and paint software running on the TARGA Ciné Engine. We've bundled Final Cut Pro in CinéWave to provide you with world class editorial tools and Knoll Light Factory for lighting effects.
    No compromise. CinéWave moves beyond the limits of the past to deliver true uncompressed video quality on the Mac. Uncompressed Standard Definition and High Definition formats.
    CinéWave can handle your I/O and conversion needs without missing a beat. Extensive I/O capabilities and seamless format integration including composite, y/c, analog component, DV, SDI, HD-SDI. Selectable aspect ratio - 4:3 and 16:9 plus Realtime 3:2 pulldown for 24>30fps conversion.
    Ready when you are. CinéWave is easy to upgrade from Standard Definition to High Definition. You won't even need to open your G4.
    Revolutionary HUB3 "memory-centric" architecture for efficient editing and compositing at the highest possible quality.
    All QuickTime- All the time. Seamless integration provides maximum creative flexibility.

http://web.archive.org/web/20020215160938/http://www.pinnaclesys.com/productpage.asp?Product_ID=108

What is CinéWave?

CinéWave is software and hardware seamlessly working together to deliver unprecedented quality and flexibility on the Apple Power Mac G4. CinéWave, the first comprehensive uncompressed solution, includes a full version of the award winning Final Cut Pro, Commotion Pro, Knoll Light Factory, and the TARGA Ciné Engine. With the best quality tools for unlimited layering, effects, advanced non-linear editing, motion tracking, paint, and compositing, your creative opportunities are endless.

CinéWave, QuickTime native from start to finish, is scalable and designed to work with a wide range of formats including: DV, DigiBeta, uncompressed 601, PAL, NTSC, 1080i, 1080p, 4:3, 16:9, DVD, and Web. Being fully QuickTime compliant, CinéWave allows you to view your uncompressed SD or HD footage on an external NTSC/PAL or even HD monitor from QuickTime compatible applications such as Commotion Pro, After Effects, combustion*, and Pro Tools.

CinéWave also has no problem working in either offline or online modes. Use CinéOffline to edit lower-resolution modes with reduced data rates, for more flexible offline/online workflows in both SD and HD. The TARGA Ciné codecs are best of breed with both 8- and 16-bit YUV and 8-bit RGBA codecs. You can even edit with the TARGA Ciné software CODEC on a computer that does not have the TARGA Ciné Engine hardware.

CinéWave has two digital tether ports for connecting to a family of SD and HD breakout boxes for flexible I/O options. With just one system, you can do everything from create a DV film, master DVDs, to output uncompressed SD or HD resolution footage. The scalable architecture allows you the flexibility that you need – all on the same base system with the same TARGA Ciné Engine.

Upgrading your CinéWave system is as easy as attaching a breakout box or loading some new software. You do not need to change the underlying system configuration. Using the same TARGA Ciné card, at any time you can install new software (CinéWave RT) or add a new breakout box (CinéWave HD) to upgrade your system. Start by editing SD and later upgrade to CinéWave RT and CinéWave HD – it is that simple. Once you have mastered the software, you do not have to worry about learning a new system when you upgrade. The Final Cut Pro and Commotion Pro interfaces that you will come to love remain the same at each level.

CineWave 2.1 Adds to Real-Time Features in Final Cut Pro

http://www.creativemac.com/article/CineWave-21-Adds-to-Real-Time-Features-in-Final-Cut-Pro-7819

Pinnacle Systems has released CineWave 2.1, an update to the company's Mac-based editing and compositing system. The new version adds uncompressed real-time support for the 3-Way Color Correction function in Apple's Final Cut Pro 3, as well as real-time chroma keying with spill suppression and color correction filters. These new features require the CineWave RT package.

New real-time features in version 2.1 include the 3-Way Color Corrector, Color Corrector, Desaturate Highlights, Desaturate Lows, RGB Balance and the native Chroma Keyer. CineWave 2.1 also introduces a new CineWave real-time Chroma Keyer with spill suppression. It also includes support for the new Pinnacle Pro Digital & Analog Breakout Box, including 10-bit Component sampling and 10-bit SDI.

CineWave 2.1 is a free software upgrade for existing customers. According to Pinnacle, these features will also be ported to Mac OS X in a future release.

http://www.creativepro.com/article/mac-camera-action-getting-started-with-final-cut-pro

Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Pinnacle CineWave
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 05:52:32 PM »

A good article on CineWave http://www.editorsguild.com/v2/magazine/Newsletter/SepOct02/cinewave_review.html
Uncompressed SD video is much more demanding, and typically requires several fast SCSI drives in a RAID configuration with an Ultra 160 card. Uncompressed HD needs an even more robust RAID, typically with a dual channel, Ultra160 interface. I used Seagate Cheetah 10k drives in a MaxArray from Rorke Data with an ATTO UL3D SCSI card, all of which worked without a hitch. I also successfully used Huge Systems' low-cost HugeMediaVault-400-DualMax for both SD and HD editing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:04:53 PM by Protools5LEGuy »
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 05:52:47 PM »
Reserved
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline faultywarrior

• The Mainframe Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 09:33:18 AM »
Someone else had posted asking about this, but it was in the general/off-topic discussion, so it likely never got any notice (and no replies)...Figured I'd ask here since it looks to be a more appropriate place.

Curious if anyone has the software for the CineWave on OS 9 (Version 2.1 would be preferred...but really ANY is fine!).  I picked up one of these for cheap, but its a sweet looking brick without the software.
More Macs than I can count...most used "classics":
PM G4 Sawtooth - "Dot-Com Era Prosumer Photo & Video Editing Machine": Dual 500MHz CPU Swap, 2GB RAM, Matrox RTMac, M-Audio Delta 44, 120GB 7200 RPM PATA Storage HDD.  Sony DSR-11 DVCAM Deck, JVC TM-A9U Broadcast/Preview Monitor, Contour ShuttlePRO Edit Controller, & Lexar FireWire 400 Compact Flash Card Reader.  Running Mac OS 9.2.2, editing in Final Cut Pro 2, After Effects 4, & PhotoShop 6.

PM G5 Single 1.6GHz - SAN Filer: 4GB RAM, 2x 32GB SSDs, 3x LSI Logic LSI7404XP-LC Fibre Channel Cards, 6x XServe RAIDs (14x 120GB RAID-50, 8.4TB Usable).  Running Mac OS X 10.3.9 Server Unlimited.

PM G3 B&W 300MHz - AFP Server: 256MB RAM, 4GB Compact Flash Card for storage.  Shares the CF card over AFP, and uses an AppleScript to copy it to my SAN (mounted over NFS) every minute.  Running Mac OS X 10.2.8 Server

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 12:55:29 PM »
Without a valid serial you have no rt effects.

Offline faultywarrior

• The Mainframe Guy
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
Without a valid serial you have no rt effects.
Ugh.  Well, guess I'm glad I only spent $30 on the card...

Thanks for letting me know though.  Saves me the hair-pulling. :)
PM G4 Sawtooth - "Dot-Com Era Prosumer Photo & Video Editing Machine": Dual 500MHz CPU Swap, 2GB RAM, Matrox RTMac, M-Audio Delta 44, 120GB 7200 RPM PATA Storage HDD.  Sony DSR-11 DVCAM Deck, JVC TM-A9U Broadcast/Preview Monitor, Contour ShuttlePRO Edit Controller, & Lexar FireWire 400 Compact Flash Card Reader.  Running Mac OS 9.2.2, editing in Final Cut Pro 2, After Effects 4, & PhotoShop 6.

PM G5 Single 1.6GHz - SAN Filer: 4GB RAM, 2x 32GB SSDs, 3x LSI Logic LSI7404XP-LC Fibre Channel Cards, 6x XServe RAIDs (14x 120GB RAID-50, 8.4TB Usable).  Running Mac OS X 10.3.9 Server Unlimited.

PM G3 B&W 300MHz - AFP Server: 256MB RAM, 4GB Compact Flash Card for storage.  Shares the CF card over AFP, and uses an AppleScript to copy it to my SAN (mounted over NFS) every minute.  Running Mac OS X 10.2.8 Server

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 03:12:09 AM »
I can archive what I have, but you would have to contact the current owner and see if they can help you with the serial to unlock the rest. As far as I know it's hardware bound. Calculated with your card. Interesting setup you got by the way. I use fiber myself.

Offline faultywarrior

• The Mainframe Guy
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 07:45:43 AM »
I can archive what I have, but you would have to contact the current owner and see if they can help you with the serial to unlock the rest. As far as I know it's hardware bound. Calculated with your card. Interesting setup you got by the way. I use fiber myself.
If you could archive what you've got, that'd be great.  It'd at least be a start to know if the card even works at all.

And yeah, the fibre setup is mainly because I edit 1080p video on my MacBook Pro, uncompressed SD on my G5, DV on the G4, and run a large number of other machines, so having a central storage dump to be able to move stuff around is nice.  OS X is perfect too since it does AFP, NFS, and SMB all very well.

Offline devils_advisor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 09:58:00 AM »
Very good card for OS9 and i have tested it with the HD Bob. The connection was a Avid Adrenaline via SDI to the HD Bob SDI in and i had a HD Picture on the Monitor. Recording is another topic.
There aren't many Raids left that can be used in OS9. Fibre or Scsi is the only route. Since the HD source has to be SDI you can use a Camera like the Canon XL1S or a HyperDeck Shuttle to get footage on your Timeline.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:45:06 AM by devils_advisor »