Author Topic: 3 min wait on bootup  (Read 4352 times)

Offline English_Mac

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
3 min wait on bootup
« on: April 10, 2015, 08:01:41 AM »
I wonder if anyone has any clues as to why my 9500 OS9 decides to go into a 3 min wait at boot up. On startup everything  loads as it should, all desktop icons display, all menu items arrive correctly, mouse can be moved but when I click on anything nothing happens until... 3 minutes pass, then boom, the clock advances by 3 mins and normal service is resumed. If I click on say menu items during this 3 min wait, once expired, all my clicked items happen, as they have been in the event queue.

I just can't work out what has loaded that needs to wait for 3 mins (consistant). Could the 9500 be trying to access a server and needs to wait for the server to timeout (hence the 3 mins?). I have tried to find any setups that call a server but nothing found.

Any suggestions?

supernova777

Re: 3 min wait on bootup
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:23:32 AM »
maybe its looking for a SCSI drive?
do u have an unterminated scsi port?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »
can it be that you put a big archive (like a complete HD) in your applemenu?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:04:44 PM »
I'm with Chris. It's looking for something that's not there or not available and then timing out. All of the clicks that didn't do anything then come out of the buffer all at once. Maybe looking for something low-level since it doesn't display anything - a driver, a startup file for ?? who knows? Any extra extensions active for unused functions? Anything recently uninstalled without removing all of the little goodie files? Good luck!

Offline Mat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
I had a similar behavior when one of my Macs searched for a AppleTalk network volume that was configured to mount automatically at bootup. I just use manually mounting via "Network Browser" of any network volume now, as I can never be sure if that other computer is up and running, or if I have to waite some minutes at bootup for nothing.

EDIT: go to your system folder, and look for an folder called "Server" there should be the links to the network volumes. Just remove these links out of the Server folder, and all the waiting at bootup should have an end (if it was your problem).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:52:04 PM by Mat »

Offline English_Mac

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:52:46 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I found the culprit and Mat you are correct  :) I happen to look in the System folder and saw a folder called server, decided to have a look in and saw what seemed like alias' (links) to computers I've connected to in the past. I deleted them and as you say, problem solved.
 :)

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 12:07:08 AM »
great tip mat  8)