Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 536649 times)

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #1340 on: July 30, 2022, 06:47:09 AM »
Anyone else getting distorted / crackling sound? I had this with mp3 playback. I thought it was my old speakers but I tried a second pair and the problem persisted. When disabling any bass, it was gone. Booted into OSX to check, and there was no problem at all. I figure it's a OS9 / Mac Mini thing. Problem also exists when trying to playback alert sounds.

Any known solution to this?
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline jackoverfull

• Valued Member
« Reply #1341 on: July 30, 2022, 07:11:05 AM »
Been using my system quite frequently in the last couple of months, it runs REALLY well. Just a couple of minor issues to report.

1) On the rightmost edge of my HP w17e there are a few permanently white pixels. This does not happen when booting in Mac OS X

2) On occasion the mouse gets stuck while booting, it happens while loading the extensions and I can’t still click but no longer move it. Rebooting solves the issue. It’s a Logitech mouse and I use USB Overdrive.

Apart from these very minor hiccups and the known audio issues (no cracking for me but I haven’t tried playing mp3) the system runs really smoothly and I’m very happy.

Offline zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1342 on: July 30, 2022, 07:21:36 AM »
Anyone else getting distorted / crackling sound? I had this with mp3 playback. I thought it was my old speakers but I tried a second pair and the problem persisted. When disabling any bass, it was gone. Booted into OSX to check, and there was no problem at all. I figure it's a OS9 / Mac Mini thing. Problem also exists when trying to playback alert sounds.

Any known solution to this?

Is it a 1.5GHz silent upgrade model ?

Offline Bolkonskij

• Gold Member
    • Cornica.org
« Reply #1343 on: July 30, 2022, 09:30:07 AM »
It's a quiet and amazing 1.25 Ghz one, first gen. I had no sound issues with this one before but somehow it decided to change that ... :-)
Reel changer over at cornica.org

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1344 on: July 30, 2022, 10:15:31 AM »
Ok, let's do the math...

This topic has been read over 350,000 times...

10% of the readers had a Mac mini G4...

Therefore, we have saved 35,000 Mac mini G4s from being e-wasted (or target practice) !

Disclaimer: DieHard has no real facts and occasionally drinks way too much coffee while making up meaningless BS for troll food

Offline jackoverfull

• Valued Member
« Reply #1345 on: July 30, 2022, 12:40:48 PM »
Well, mine has been demothballed after eight years…

Offline zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1346 on: August 10, 2022, 06:12:44 AM »
A thought about audio issue on mini G4 under OS9 with RossV9 ...

The Mac OS ROM was modified to make the mini identified as a Cube.
The Cube does not have any audio in/out on its motherboard and they are deported on the Apple Pro Speakers amplifier.

Maybe MacOS 9 does not even try to enable audio in/out because it "seems to be" a Cube ...?   ::)

Would it be possible to make a ROM identifying the mini as a Sawtooth or QS (or another model a bit closer to the mini on this point of view) to check this behaviour ?

Thanks for reading   -afro-

Offline zefrenchtoon

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1347 on: August 10, 2022, 06:15:21 AM »
I am replying to myself as I just see that the idea was already mentioned two years ago ^^'

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,2408.msg43268/topicseen.html#msg43268

Offline jackoverfull

• Valued Member
« Reply #1348 on: August 10, 2022, 07:38:54 AM »
But the audio *does* work: all you need to do is connect an external speaker and turn the volume way high, as the output is stuck to very low and can’t be changed due to the lack of a hardware mixer. If I understood correctly even the internal speaker works, it’s just so low it can’t be heard.

Offline jackoverfull

• Valued Member
« Reply #1349 on: September 15, 2022, 01:39:51 AM »
Another small update on the audio…
I just bought, for totally unrelated reasons, the Behringer UCA222 U audio interface. It’s a small USB 1 audio interface with RCA inputs and outputs and one mini jack out for monitoring.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0A31

Anyway, I read the manual and was very surprised it officially supported Mac OS 9.1, I tried on my mini and the audio comes out loud and clear, even if it doesn’t show up at all in the sound control panel. you still can’t set the output level from the OS, but since the mini jack output has a volume dial it could be a good solution for many, as it’s really inexpensive.

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1350 on: September 15, 2022, 01:44:52 AM »
the biggest problem with the mini i have is that it doesnt have a pci bus controller. there a way to add one? solder one on? because for professional use the mini would be perfect just a sound card that has word clock is hard to hook up with it.
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #1351 on: September 19, 2022, 07:36:45 AM »
the biggest problem with the mini i have is that it doesnt have a pci bus controller. there a way to add one? solder one on? because for professional use the mini would be perfect just a sound card that has word clock is hard to hook up with it.

Some Firewire sound "cards" has word clock...but question is is there any USB sound "cards" with word clock?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1352 on: September 20, 2022, 05:51:02 AM »
i think most have. motu, digidesign, RME all have BNC clock in and out.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline smilesdavis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1353 on: September 20, 2022, 06:09:34 AM »
os9 compatible?
Looking for: Steinberg Cubase MAC Standard/Score v1-5 & Cubase Audio v1, Cubase Audio v2 for, Cubase Audio v3 for DAE/TDM => complete or in parts

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1354 on: September 20, 2022, 08:17:40 AM »
word clock was more around back in the days than it is today. i am not aware of interfaces which dont have it.

Offline Metrophage

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1355 on: September 21, 2022, 02:57:37 PM »
Hey! It's me again, back to struggle with my borky systems!

I'd recently found my mini G4 1.42 again. It set up fine last time, but I had only a small drive to play with at the time so didn't make much use of it. Its optical drive is broken so IIRC I did the initial install in target disk mode.

So, I waited to long to buy an OWC SSD and didn't pay close attention to the fact that their current "Legacy" drives are only for desktop use. I ordered some generic low-profile SATA connverters for 44-pin IDE, but had a night of agonizing flakiness as installs would hang. Subsequent boots saw the new drive losing capacity and partitions. It started being seen by the system as 512GB, turned into 128GB, and eventually 7.9GB... So I'm guessing that this adaptor - which has no switches or jumpers - isn't adapting well enough for what the system expects. So I ordered a cheap NOS 160GB rotational drive instead.

Why I gravitated to the OWC was that it sounds like their drives are intended for use in systems which weren't initially available with SSDs, with better wear-leveling and garbage collection in the drive itself. I don't know how well that compares in practice, but that's a concern I'd had with using SSDs in my old macs.

So hopefully I'll set this up again soon with dual-boot 9.2/10.4 systems. The old X partition for using old NI Intakt and Kompakt sampler instruments and other ancient PPC stuff I have.

One detail I noticed is that Ross's CD does sort of boot from an external FireWire drive, but then it fails to load the image. I get the "missing drive" icon, but it's the OS 9 version from the CD. I'll probably make a USB stick to install everything next week or so when the drive arrives. Meanwhile I'm going to try to erase this 512GB OWC on my Linux box and maybe try it in my FW800 with the desktop-style adaptor it came with.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1356 on: September 21, 2022, 04:19:40 PM »
hey metro,

those generic plastic cases for M2 or NVME should work and might be the cheaper solution.

making an USB was on my to do list - but you know how it goes with those lists. i am sorting cables, PSUs and media since 5 days, it is incredible how much craps fits into a smll aparment.

if you find out how the USB install works let us know. :)
(but i believe it shoud be fine to copy the installed system, bless it, and burn it with toast to share.)

Offline indibil

• Enthusiast Member
  • I'm crazy, I know.
    • rosysumenteinquieta
« Reply #1357 on: October 15, 2022, 06:51:50 AM »
Hello from Spain!!!

I have a Mac Mini G4 at 1.42GHz, and I have installed OS 9.2.2 through the ISO made for this purpose, but I would like to know how I can install OS 9.2.2 in Spanish on the Mac Mini G4.

I have the installation CD in Spanish, but the installation is not patched so that it works on the Mini. Is there any script that, once installed OS 9.2.2 in Spanish, can patch it to work on the Mini? Thanks.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1358 on: October 15, 2022, 05:31:06 PM »
this is a reasonable request.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #1359 on: October 16, 2022, 03:09:41 AM »
You should be able to install the Spanish Mac OS 9 onto the Mini over FireWire target disk mode from a compatible machine (or just drag and drop with the right connection) and update that installation to 9.2.2 if needed with the correct language update from Apple.

After that, I had a script which was intended for upgrading those on v8 of the Mac mini System to v9, but it should also work on any standard install of OS 9.2.2 to make it compatible with the Mini; it updates the ROM and has other patches for example.

It’d be best to try the v9 updater on a fresh install of the Spanish OS 9.2.2 just to make sure it all works fine; older versions of the updater would update the System Suitcase, which may have affected the language in some way, I would have to check if this one does that still.

The updater is here
Update to v9.sit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbfZEfYgbhWLGK2JY_xbGjlxrvzzWdSX/view?usp=drivesdk