Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 537244 times)

Offline vectrex

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #1200 on: September 15, 2020, 06:25:16 PM »
what kind of silent upgrades? Would be interested to know what you have changed.. thanks
I have the following system:
     Mac Mini G4:  1.5 GHz (with the silent upgrades)
     RAM:  1GB
     HD:  Original stock drive (I think 80GB, partitioned into two equal pieces). 

I loaded the v8 disk on to it with great success at the end of 2019.  Then loaded all my files from a Wallstreet that I had so that I could pass that PowerBook G3 to someone else.

Just this past weekend, I used RossDarker's .sit v9 updater file to update from v8 to v9.  I can now get 1920x1080@60Hz just fine with correct looking graphics over VGA (DVI/VGA adapter).  Not tried using the DVI yet.  Will do that and report back later.

Couple of questions:

(1)  I saw a recent post here of someone looking for the latest ROM version (?).  Is that taken care of when loading v9 either from the CD installation or from the .sit updater file?

(2)  I am not sure what "accelerated graphics" means.  I also do not know what the feature selections mean in the ATI drop down menu.  Is there information explaining the menu options within this topic? 

Jeff

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1201 on: September 15, 2020, 06:43:36 PM »
that is how apple called these updates, because they delivered the 1.5 and 1.33 mostly in the 1.4 and 1.25 packages. :)

the 1.5 also has 64 VRAM and a bluetooth 2
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline SKYLANE

« Reply #1202 on: September 19, 2020, 12:58:00 AM »
vectrex...

Reference Link:  https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_g4_1.5.html

I actually did not change anything, the unit came from Apple with "silent upgrades".  Pretty sure I bought it from a CompUSA.  :-)  This is an excerpt from the Reference Link above that explains the "silent upgrades":

Officially, the Apple Mac mini G4/1.5 does not exist, as Apple never formally introduced it. However, starting on September 27, 2005, Apple quietly upgraded the Mac mini G4/1.42 to include a 1.5 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4) processor with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and a 512k on-chip level 2 cache, 512 MB of 333 MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory, a faster 5400 RPM 80.0 GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, a slot-loading 8X DVD/CD-RW "Combo" Drive in the US$599 configuration, as before, or a faster, and dual-layer read 8X DVD�RW/CD-RW "SuperDrive" in the US$699 configuration.

The ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor (4X AGP) also was upgraded from 32 MB of DDR SDRAM to 64 MB. As with the model it replaced, connectivity includes DVI (DVI-to-VGA adapter provided), USB 2.0, FireWire, a headphone/line out jack, and AirPort Extreme (802.11g) but the Bluetooth was quietly upgraded to Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. A modem was not provided, but an internal modem still could be added for US$29. It still shipped without a display, keyboard, or mouse.

what kind of silent upgrades? Would be interested to know what you have changed.. thanks

Offline vectrex

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #1203 on: September 20, 2020, 05:00:27 PM »
thanks to both of you for the answers!

vectrex...

Reference Link:  https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac_mini_g4_1.5.html

I actually did not change anything, the unit came from Apple with "silent upgrades".  Pretty sure I bought it from a CompUSA.  :-)  This is an excerpt from the Reference Link above that explains the "silent upgrades":

Officially, the Apple Mac mini G4/1.5 does not exist, as Apple never formally introduced it. However, starting on September 27, 2005, Apple quietly upgraded the Mac mini G4/1.42 to include a 1.5 GHz PowerPC 7447a (G4) processor with the AltiVec "Velocity Engine" vector processing unit and a 512k on-chip level 2 cache, 512 MB of 333 MHz PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory, a faster 5400 RPM 80.0 GB Ultra ATA/100 hard drive, a slot-loading 8X DVD/CD-RW "Combo" Drive in the US$599 configuration, as before, or a faster, and dual-layer read 8X DVD�RW/CD-RW "SuperDrive" in the US$699 configuration.

The ATI Radeon 9200 graphics processor (4X AGP) also was upgraded from 32 MB of DDR SDRAM to 64 MB. As with the model it replaced, connectivity includes DVI (DVI-to-VGA adapter provided), USB 2.0, FireWire, a headphone/line out jack, and AirPort Extreme (802.11g) but the Bluetooth was quietly upgraded to Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. A modem was not provided, but an internal modem still could be added for US$29. It still shipped without a display, keyboard, or mouse.

Offline ttorler

• Newcomer
« Reply #1204 on: September 25, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »
I installed the V9 cd on my 1.42GHz mini but it won't boot (flashing question mark) if more than one USB port is used:

Keyboard and mouse in port 1 boots but if I connect a flash drive or m-audio transit to port 2 it won't.
Keyboard and mouse in port 2 boots but anything then connected to port 1 causes boot failure.

I need to disconnect the additional device and reset pram for the mini to start booting again.

Any ideas?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1205 on: September 25, 2020, 09:20:07 PM »
what kind of mouse? could you try to remove the mouse and repeat the a/b b/a test?

Offline Quintus23M

• Newcomer
« Reply #1206 on: September 29, 2020, 05:02:05 AM »
Currently I was trying to download the V9 CD image, but the links seems not to work right now. I'd like to install it on my Mac mini G4 1.42GHz.
Any help or hints would be great.

Offline Jacques

• Enthusiast Member
  • Mac and SGI enthusiast
« Reply #1207 on: September 29, 2020, 11:25:35 AM »
Link works perfectly fine for me. You are using the one from here yes?

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html

and entering the given password for access then choosing the file as attached for download?

Offline Quintus23M

• Newcomer
« Reply #1208 on: October 02, 2020, 12:36:17 PM »
Yes, this is exactly the download page I was using. As soon as I hit on "Download" on the drop down menu, I'll get an error in Chrome.
Code: [Select]
The web page at https://cache.os.cloudstorage.secureserver.net/obj/QzUyMkFFQTlGQTZBOEE1MDdENkY6OWNjY2RjY2Y1ZTUyZTcyMmRmNmI2NjM3MTRjMTk1MDA6MTYwMTY2NzIyNzolMkZWM29zeXdLZGh5YVA5OFQzNDdIRCUyQnBzeDE0JTNEOjpSb3NzJ3MgTWFjIG1pbmkgT1MgOSBDRCB2OS5pc28= might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Offline Quintus23M

• Newcomer
« Reply #1209 on: October 02, 2020, 12:49:27 PM »
OK, I found the reason why it's not downloading. The TLS version of the storage webpage is insecure/outdated and therefore will be blocked by the strict security settings of the latest Chrome version I'm using on MacOS.

"The connection used to load this site used TLS 1.0 or TLS 1.1, which are deprecated and will be disabled in the future. Once disabled, users will be prevented from loading this site. The server should enable TLS 1.2 or later."

Offline FBz

• Platinum Member
  • Fury-Fungus FdB/FBz
« Reply #1210 on: October 02, 2020, 12:55:30 PM »
I just tried download with Chrome and it was a no-go.
Switched over to Safari and no problems.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1211 on: October 02, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
aha. explains frequency of recent complaints. boss must talk to host.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1212 on: October 02, 2020, 03:20:03 PM »

i wanted to make an MacMiniOS9v9USB.iso, what do i have to watch out for?

Offline teroyk

• Platinum Member
  • -
« Reply #1213 on: October 04, 2020, 10:06:16 PM »
OK, I found the reason why it's not downloading. The TLS version of the storage webpage is insecure/outdated and therefore will be blocked by the strict security settings of the latest Chrome version I'm using on MacOS.
"The connection used to load this site used TLS 1.0 or TLS 1.1, which are deprecated and will be disabled in the future. Once disabled, users will be prevented from loading this site. The server should enable TLS 1.2 or later."

TLS 1.0 is too insecure/outdated to who? Whole TLS is to make all older system old and people to buy new devices.
Hmm..I started thinking to make web-page that only works with Netscape, Cab, Classilla and TenFourFox ;)

Offline Cube

• Newcomer
  • new to the forums
« Reply #1214 on: October 21, 2020, 05:09:06 AM »
Just tried to download the ISO myself via Chrome and Safari (in Mojave)...Chrome couldn't get onto the page with the file listing, Safari could but Download did not work (nothing happened when selecting Download)...only using Firefox could Download work.
Firefox threw up a security warning page with the option to enable TLS then the download went ahead.

Offline srebu

• Newcomer
  • Reasonably New Member
« Reply #1215 on: November 12, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »
Hi,

I recently got from a flea market a silent upgrade mini G4, that is the machine with 1.5 GHz CPU and 64 MB instead of 32 MB video RAM, I replaced the quite fast!! HDD with my usual msata-to-2,5ide 128 GB drive, it has DWD-RW SuperDrive instead of the usual combo drive, otherwise totally identical to other G4 minis except the last thing it has Bluetooth 2.0 instead of v1.

I burned the OS9 v9 installer found here (my last try was v8 on a regular 1,25 GHz Mini quite a long time ago). Against the advice, I used a digital DVI cable with my Samsung syncmaster A450 1680x1050 TFT. The very same cable with this mini works OOB with 10.4 and 10.5, properly giving 1680x1050@60Hz resolution under OSX.

While booting the CD I got extremely confusing visuals that stayed during the install. The image was there, but it was garbled somewhat, I quickly got into the Samsung internal menu in the monitor and the info section revealed the mini is sending 840x1050 pixel resolution @60 Hz. Instead of 1680 pixels width, I got half, 840 px. Although it was barely readable (as every second column of pixels were missing from the vision, I installed v9 from muscle memory).

After reboot, I got the same 840x1050px resolution (based on the monitor's internal menu) with full ATI acceleration. I launched the Monitors control panel, where I started to lower the resolution until I reached 832x624@75Hz, where I got a clear image...

... I did not try yet the modified rockhopper2 drivers.

What I found weird is that the picture is almost there, I mean the number of pixels divided by two is the only issue I have with this monitor...
Cheers!
Modify message

Hi everyone! I've been reading silently for a couple of weeks here, and finally found someone else who has the same issue as me.

I also have a 1.5GHz model, on which I managed to blindly install Tiger (despite this issue). Since I have no knowledge of OS 9, I don't know what to do when Drive Setup shows, and on which partition to install OS 9 (I have four total).

I zapped the PRAM memory, and Tiger now displays 1920x1200@60Hz, but when booting the OS 9 CD there was no change. I'm using a Dell U3011 with a DVI-HDMI cable. Previously, with a DVI-DVI cable, the issue was the same.

Can someone please give me a pointer on what I could do?

TIA
Mac mini G4 1.5 (10,2) - Mac mini G4 1.25 (10,1)
Too much other Apple stuff which is not relevant here

Offline kahlil88

• Newcomer
« Reply #1216 on: December 12, 2020, 08:40:50 PM »
Having problems after installing on my 1.5GHz Mini. I understood there were certain issues with graphics, sound, wifi, etc. but didn't realize this carried over to OS X (even when booted from an install disc). Now wondering how to restore the original ROM.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 10:28:09 PM by kahlil88 »

Offline ToddH

• Valued Member
« Reply #1217 on: December 14, 2020, 08:03:23 PM »
Just picked up a Mac Mini G4 for like $40. Looking forward to getting OS 9 up and running on it.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1218 on: December 15, 2020, 01:13:48 AM »
Having problems after installing on my 1.5GHz Mini. I understood there were certain issues with graphics, sound, wifi, etc. but didn't realize this carried over to OS X (even when booted from an install disc). Now wondering how to restore the original ROM.

you dont need to. there is no permanent firmware change happening.

maybe your wifi is physically broken? it tends to brake on the minis, and it usually takes the internal audio with it to hell.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #1219 on: December 15, 2020, 01:25:56 AM »

and Tiger now displays 1920x1200@60Hz, but when booting the OS 9 CD there was no change. I'm using a Dell U3011 with a DVI-HDMI cable. Previously, with a DVI-DVI cable, the issue was the same.

that native resolution is fine for the mini and for the mini OS CD and there should be no problem with that.

for monitor issues for we often recommend to try using a DVI-I cable instead of VGA. since you already tried DVI: did you try a VGA cable yet?

when i rember right, the first generation 30" from apple once requried dual link dvi for the "half" resolution.. ;) and this one is very similar...