Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 148917 times)

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member (500+ Posts)
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #975 on: August 31, 2019, 06:12:53 AM »
We ran into the mouse stuck on the Apple logo, but it did register clicks, on the emulated Rage 128 Pro in Qemu, after we got the 'NDRV' working for the  Mac OS.

Zoltan made a patch, and that fixed the issue with OS 9, but broke OS X booting with the 'NDRV'.

As I took the 'NDRV' we use from 10.3.7, I wouldn't rule out the 'NDRV' as the root of the mouse freeze issue.......

Offline Jubadub

• Enthusiast Member (25+ Posts)
« Reply #976 on: August 31, 2019, 06:27:55 AM »
It's NOT the mini, first time is a charm with file sharing, I have seen it take 2 hours :(

https://happymacs.wordpress.com/2013/07/09/will-file-sharing-ever-start/

Oh, that's great to know. "2 hours", huh? I'm not sure if I waited that long. I'll leave the mini on doing that for 24 hours now. Hopefully it will start up by then.

On another note:

This was the command I needed to run to "bless" the OS 9 system folder, from within OS X:

Code: [Select]
sudo bless -folder9 "/Volumes/MacHD/System Folder" -use9 -bootBlockFile "/usr/share/misc/bootblockdata"
At this point, I could boot successfully into OS 9.

This didn't work for me, no matter what I try. The mini would always boot back to OS X.

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #977 on: August 31, 2019, 07:59:06 AM »
It took forever, but now File Sharing is really on! Thanks, DieHard! :D

Offline macarone

« Reply #978 on: August 31, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
> This didn't work for me, no matter what I try. The mini would always boot back to OS X

When all other methods (for eg. putting Finder on the Desktop, and then dropping it on System Folder) did not work, I found that running DiskWarrior on the OS 9 partition while booted into OS X, DID produce a blessed OS 9 System Folder.

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #979 on: August 31, 2019, 12:20:40 PM »
> This didn't work for me, no matter what I try. The mini would always boot back to OS X

When all other methods (for eg. putting Finder on the Desktop, and then dropping it on System Folder) did not work, I found that running DiskWarrior on the OS 9 partition while booted into OS X, DID produce a blessed OS 9 System Folder.
... Wait, my bad, I just realized I made a mistake. Somehow I was thinking this command would select my OS 9 partition as the Startup Disk (by blessing it), but that's a separate issue, and somehow I mixed the 2 things together in my head. lol

In that case, nevermind that statement I made.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #980 on: August 31, 2019, 12:33:27 PM »
This didn't work for me, no matter what I try. The mini would always boot back to OS X.

(if i am not lost this time) this is a known issue of the mini OS.

so either you have to use two disks when you want to boot both OSes, or you have to use the bootmanager.
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"
- DieHard, random forum troll at macos9lives.com

Offline ELN

• Gold Member (200+ Posts)
  • new to the forums
« Reply #981 on: August 31, 2019, 03:57:41 PM »
I think that if you can get Mac OS 9 booting by default, then you can hold “X” at boot to switch OS temporarily.

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
« Reply #982 on: September 01, 2019, 07:09:52 PM »
We ran into the mouse stuck on the Apple logo, but it did register clicks, on the emulated Rage 128 Pro in Qemu, after we got the 'NDRV' working for the  Mac OS.

Zoltan made a patch, and that fixed the issue with OS 9, but broke OS X booting with the 'NDRV'.

As I took the 'NDRV' we use from 10.3.7, I wouldn't rule out the 'NDRV' as the root of the mouse freeze issue.......

Fascinating! It looks like you’ve cracked it. Mind forwarding me the details?

Offline SKYLANE

« Reply #983 on: September 15, 2019, 11:55:03 PM »
I have a Wallstreet PDQ with OS 9.2.2 on it.  I have several files on it that I would like to print and manage a bit, perhaps play with some old programs while I am at it.  I wished I could run OS9 from a faster platform and larger screen.  When I stumbled onto this site after watching the YouTube installation, I had found the perfect use for my trusty ol' MacMini 1.5 GHz G4, this is the one with all the silent upgrades.  I blew the dust off of is and downloaded the Bootable ISO v8 and followed the instructions to install on my MacMini with success!  I performed the installation around the end of 2018 (I think), I had to put playing around with it down until a later date which is now SEP 2019.

Last night, I had both my MacMini and Wallstreet PDQ on my current existing home network via ethernet.  Started File Sharing after setting it up, and with great success was able to move my files and apps from the Wallstreet PDQ over to the MacMini.  Everything seems to be running OK except MacDraw II 1.1, runs ok on my Wallstreet PDQ but looks weird when launched on MacMini.  I would love to figure out this issue as this was one of the main programs that I like to play with.

My files for Word, Excel, PowerPoint 2001 seem to all work fine.

I was never able to get the resolution to setup right with my 1920x1080 Samsung Monitor/TV.  Once I set the Samsung to 4:3 resolution and set up a corresponding resolution (4:3) in monitors, the OS 9 desktop looks terrific.

Offline SKYLANE

« Reply #984 on: September 16, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »
Regarding my post above, why would MacDraw II (1.1) work on the Wallstreet PDQ but not on the Mac Mini G4?  Does any one have MacDraw working on their Mac 9.2.2 in an unsupported machine?  If so, what version?

I do have MacDraw Pro that works, but I can open the older MacDraw files with it.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #985 on: September 20, 2019, 12:28:32 PM »
i dont know macdraw, but you might have forgotten to move required drivers, libraries, or simply its preference file from the systemfolder.
"It is true that the "pre-emptive multitasking" advantage present in OS X can be illustrated by downloading CD-ROM ISOs and rendering chaos theory formulas while simultaneously instant messaging and posting on FaceBook what you ate... but in reality, what did you create?"

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #986 on: September 29, 2019, 05:55:20 PM »
@SKYLANE
I got acquainted with MacDraw and its entire history just for the sake of seeing how well it fares with 9.2.2 on the Mac mini G4 1.5GHz. Results:

Everything works perfectly with MacDraw II 1.1v2 on Mac OS 9.2.2 on the Mac mini G4 1.5GHz. But under one condition: color depth needs to be anything other than set to Millions of Colors, else it looks funky, and/or the program destabilizes. Using Thousands of Colors or 256 Colors for color depth resulted in the program being 100% functional.
The issue with Millions of Colors quite possibly would also be there on the Wallstreet G3 (wish mine still worked to actually test it out). Can you check if it actually handles MacDraw II properly on your WallStreet with Millions of Colors for color depth selected?
In any case, looks like it works just fine! Just need to use the proper color depth.

Regardless, I thought the latest version of MacDraw (ClarisDraw 1.0v4) could handle all MacDraw files of any previous version perfectly? Apparently MacDraw II is from 1989, while ClarisDraw is from 1994. Can't it handle your needs? (Note: MacDraw Pro is stuck between those two versions in the timeline. So if that can't do something, perhaps ClarisDraw can?)

If desired, the latest version can be found here.

Hope any of this helps.

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
Frozen mouse fixed on Mac mini
« Reply #987 on: October 09, 2019, 08:38:28 PM »
I have fixed the frozen mouse bug!

It was, as darthnVader hinted earlier, caused by the ATI extensions. So I took a deep dive into the ATI driver architecture. This is the typical "life cycle" of an ATI card in a NewWorld Mac:
  • If the card firmware lacks an ndrv (e.g. the Radeon 9200 in the mini), the MacOS uses its generic "COFB" ndrv to get basic video.
  • Extensions are loaded from disk. The ATI ROM Xtender or iMic's hacked "ATI Via Driver" extension can replace the previously loaded ndrv. No graphical acceleration yet.
  • The complex array of ATI extensions steps in, asks the loaded ndrv about the card using some private Status calls, and loads some acceleration code if the card is recognised. Accelerated 2D requires "ATI Resource Manager" and "ATI Graphics Accelerator" at minimum.

This was darthnVader's solution to get graphics acceleration working:
  • Insert a Mac OS X ndrv into iMic "ATI Via Driver" (better called "ATI RockHopper2 Driver" after the change).
  • Replace all or most occurrences of the 5961 device ID in the other extensions with 5962. Both IDs refer to the Radeon 9200, but the extensions only knew about the 5961 ID. (Occurrences of 5960 were also replaced -- see below.)

DarthnVader effectively turned our minis into Mac OS 9 gaming rigs! Unfortunately, one of the binary patches intermittently broke hardware cursor support. It might be due to the way that the PowerPC compiler optimised select/case blocks. Sometimes I also experienced a black screen when the ATI extensions loaded, which I think was related.

This is my solution:
  • Insert the same Mac OS X ndrv (ATY,RockHopper2 v1.0.1f63, from Mac OS X 10.3.6) into the Mac OS ROM as an ndrv parcel, to mimic a firmware driver.
  • Patch that ndrv to replace 5962 with 5961 whenever it reads from PCI Configuration Space.
  • Use the unmodified ATI extensions from January 2005.
    • The extensions that we host in "9200os9.sit", supposedly from the rare July 2005 release, do not work.
    • I think that they were binary-patched to enable support for the DVI-I Radeon 9200 card, ID 5960. Specifically, the accl 4 resource of the "ATI Graphics Accelerator" is an identical build to January 2005, including the build date, but has 2/2 occurrences of 5961 replaced with 5960. It would be good to find the originals.

So here is my first ROM release of the year. It was derived from the "OS9General" Mac OS ROM (v9.6.1) using my portable Mac mini patching system: https://github.com/elliotnunn/tbxi-patches/blob/7a5d179/macmini.py

My ATALoad patch has also been applied, to allow Mac OS 9 to boot from volumes that were formatted for Mac OS X, without first wiping the disk with "Mac OS 9 Drivers". I think that this is especially useful on machines that were formerly Mac OS X-only.

I recommend that this ROM be included in a new release of the Mac mini ISO. It should be combined with the unmodified ATI extensions from January 2005.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #988 on: October 09, 2019, 08:51:51 PM »
we really need to have "like" buttons here.

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
« Reply #989 on: October 10, 2019, 08:27:03 AM »
I recommend that this ROM be included in a new release of the Mac mini ISO. It should be combined with the unmodified ATI extensions from January 2005.

ELN, your post was like a tall glass of fresh spring water after a long drought; we have been quiet here, but that is to be expected with some topics and downloads at over 100K 200K views we may have tapped out all the interested users, which is amazing in itself.  The details were fascinating and I appreciate all the time it took to created the new ROM and explain the process.

My personal mini has been in a storage unit for 6 months,  After closing my retail computer store, having surgery, and re-opening a new office for computer consulting, I am  finally back in the mode and getting back to macs and music.  I will breakout the mini and try the new ROM this week.  I am hoping that Ross reads all of this and has the time and energy to create a v9 mini Install and I will post it.

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #990 on: October 15, 2019, 10:44:13 PM »
I loved that write-up, ELN. It's both concisely written and incredibly useful. Well done for both troubleshooting the issue and patching it!

I have one question, though: is there something users of the 1.5GHz version of the mini should look out for in regards to the fact the included Radeon 6200 chip is the 64MB VRAM version instead of the 32MB version present on the other 3 mini models? (1.25GHz, 1.33GHz and 1.42GHz.) I wondered if that posed any relevance regarding all the NDRVs and whatnot.

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
« Reply #991 on: October 16, 2019, 12:20:50 AM »
Thanks!

I don’t think that this means any change for the super-mini. The ATI software checks the amount of VRAM present and behaves appropriately.

Offline RossDarker

« Reply #992 on: October 16, 2019, 09:32:41 AM »
Just had a read of everything - great work! I’ll make a v9 iso.
Dunking a biscuit is one of life's greatest joys.

Offline FdB

• And then...
« Reply #993 on: October 16, 2019, 10:15:05 AM »
YAY!!!
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #994 on: October 16, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
2020/2: mini audio issue

2020/7: usb 2 driver

....: G5?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
Re: Frozen mouse fixed on Mac mini
« Reply #995 on: October 16, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »
Congratulations! Really awesome work! (Again!  ;D)

As you know I'm using some of your stuff in the unsupported eMac 1.25. Even through the machine works really well with Mac Os 9, it still suffer the frozen mouse bug. Can you please replicate this procedure for the eMac.
I'm using the "normal mini with happymactron" ROM (from  2018-04-08) and the ATI,Merlin video drivers ( by darthnVader).

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4361.0.html

Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline darthnVader

« Reply #996 on: October 16, 2019, 04:48:11 PM »
You know, it maybe worth trying to get the ATI Video extension working with this new patched ROM.

Maybe it won't hang the system anymore and we could get DVD playback?

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #997 on: October 17, 2019, 05:26:01 AM »

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
« Reply #998 on: October 17, 2019, 08:19:46 AM »
2020/2: mini audio issue

2020/7: usb 2 driver

....: G5?

LOL, What ungrateful lads... ELN please ignore all of us, we are a bunch of greedy members that are drunk with power...from your hard work :)

The USB2 Driver is doomed and hence FW 4Ever !

The Mini audio issue still has the jury out, maybe there's hope

The G5.... load Tiger and classic, cause that is very doubtful from our previous discussions guys

We appreciate your efforts and we are all extremely happy that you also "never give up"; It seems to be a trend here, the last holdout of tenacious "old School" programmers who just make it happen.  The newbies would have given up long ago with excuses and claiming... "it is not possible"

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
« Reply #999 on: October 17, 2019, 08:22:10 AM »
Just had a read of everything - great work! I’ll make a v9 iso.

I just renewed and expanded the Online storage, so V9 has a home for a while :)

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1000 on: October 17, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »
i just wanted to be helpful by setting deadlines.

i am the most important staff member - i am the scrum manager. :D :D :D

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1001 on: October 17, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »

Offline ELN

• new to the forums
« Reply #1002 on: October 17, 2019, 04:21:26 PM »
MacTron, I’ll cook something up for you.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • keep it simple
« Reply #1003 on: October 19, 2019, 07:27:47 AM »
You know, it maybe worth trying to get the ATI Video extension working with this new patched ROM.

Maybe it won't hang the system anymore and we could get DVD playback?
this will be really great! ;D
... but take into account that none the new Mac Mini ROMs boot the eMac, only the "normal mini with happymactron" from 2018-04-08, AFAIK
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline SKYLANE

« Reply #1004 on: October 20, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
Jubadub

Not selecting Millions in Color Depth does indeed allow my MacDraw to function properly on my Mac Mini 1.5 GHz machine!  Thanks!  BTW, as requested, I fired up the Wallstreet PDQ and set it to Millions, MacDraw does not work there at that Color Depth either.  I must have known that at one time and long forgotten about it!

Jeff

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #1005 on: October 21, 2019, 02:50:14 PM »
@SKYLANE

Great to hear OS 9 behaves equally across both machines! One more point goes to the Mac mini G4 under 9.2.2. :)

Offline wjefferson

« Reply #1006 on: November 16, 2019, 05:42:45 PM »
I have been using  ELN's new ROM for a couple of weeks now, but I'm afraid to say that the mouse still freezes occasionally at a startup. It may now freeze less often, say one in ten instead of one in five. I must have now started up my mini 50 times or more, and definitely remember a few times of freeze.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1007 on: November 17, 2019, 05:03:32 AM »
thanks for feedback. you also have switched back your mini OS  to original 2005 ati drivers?

Offline wjefferson

« Reply #1008 on: November 17, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »
Yes, I used the original drivers. With the modified drivers, the mac started up, but only with graphic acceleration turned off.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:21:30 PM by wjefferson »

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #1009 on: November 18, 2019, 11:03:58 PM »
So I finally got around to 'OS9ing' my mini... It seemed to go well and booted but then I realized that there were no menus across the top of the screen (apple menu, special, etc.). Would this be a resolution issue, as in...  its there but I just can't see it??  Everything else looked normal to me. I feel like something like this happened a few years back but I don't remember any specifics.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1010 on: November 19, 2019, 01:33:38 AM »
that happens when your monitor prefs think it would be the second screen of two & positioned on the left.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #1011 on: November 20, 2019, 07:18:52 AM »
that happens when your monitor prefs think it would be the second screen of two & positioned on the left.

*UPDATE*    'Slow Adult' ALERT!!!!  Just needed to restart after install ( it was late when I did it) ... all seems well! Time for some 'INSTANT DAW' action!!! ;D

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1012 on: November 20, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »

Offline Nymunariya

• new to the forums
    • nymunariya.org
« Reply #1013 on: November 24, 2019, 02:12:07 AM »
after finally getting around to test some more of (pure) V8 (I don't know how to compile roms and didn't do anything with NDVR(?)) I realised that a few of my problems had simple workarounds.

Mouse: my problem was I that I was plugging my keyboard into a usb hub. Either the hub didn't get enough power, or the Mini just didn't know what to do with it. After getting a USB extension cable, and plugging my grape M2452 iMac keyboard and the USB mouse to that, I had maybe ... 15%ish mouse failure rate, where the mouse would click, but not move.  A restart fixed it. 

Sound: Alert sounds would not work, but normal sounds worked perfectly fine through the headphone out jack to my monitor. Though when playing Descent 3, whenever I get close to a robot that's exploding, my speakers sound like they're going to explode (just full on sound distortion/crackling), regardless of the volume level in Descent.  My speakers were less than 50% volume, but still sounded like the Mini was amplifying the sound to 200.

Graphics: mostly good.  I only really experimented with Descent 3, Riddle of the Sphinx, and The Crystal Key.  The latter two properly switched resolutions (DVI-VGA, though I ordered a DVI->HDMI cord which I want to try out this week), and looked great (probably 640x480), but Descent 3 would not change resolution and was in a tiny 640x480 box on my monitor.

I tried to apply the updates from V8 to my German install, because I would really like to use OS 9 in German.  Unfortunately it looks like the System suitcase has been modified and that dictates where items are found in German or English named system folders.  So after copying items over (to the German install) I realised that my German install is only 9.2.1.  The resolution was locked to a 4:3.  Sound did not even work over headphone jack. I don't remember if mouse work.  My temporary solution was to copy over the German finder, control panels, and a few "core" apps like Chooser.  But I'm not going to give up yet ... unless y'all have made drastic changes to the system suitcase ...

Also, does anybody have info on how to get the Tiger startup control panel to show OS9 on unsupported macs?
iBook G3 Grape 366MHz, 320MB RAM, 30GB SSD, Mac OS 9.2 | PowerMac G4 FW800 Dual 1.25GHz, Mac OS 9.2, Mac OS X 10.4 | MacBook Air, Mid2011, 900GB SSD, Mac OS X 10.10

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1014 on: November 24, 2019, 02:23:30 AM »
the latter isnt supported on the mini, you´d need to put either OS on another disk or use the startup manager.

Offline Nymunariya

• new to the forums
    • nymunariya.org
« Reply #1015 on: November 24, 2019, 03:01:08 AM »
so I've apparently got the German version of OS 9 booting up fine, 5:4 resolution is looking good.  I'll try it on my 16:9 monitor next. I think I mistakenly took a D-9.2.1 suitcase yesterday.

Everything looks fine.  16:9 boots up properly.  It's just a regular(?) D-9.2.2 install, with the files from the V8 update, minus the suitcase and testfile.  However it does have the problem that my iBook has where I need a moment before I can use the finder.  The EN V8 9.2.2 does not have that problem.

I do have a separate partition for OS9, so I can boot into it while holding down option. But it would be nice if Tiger played nice with it.  There's got to be a defaults flag that one can set.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:40:36 AM by Nymunariya »
iBook G3 Grape 366MHz, 320MB RAM, 30GB SSD, Mac OS 9.2 | PowerMac G4 FW800 Dual 1.25GHz, Mac OS 9.2, Mac OS X 10.4 | MacBook Air, Mid2011, 900GB SSD, Mac OS X 10.10

Offline ximiimx

« Reply #1016 on: November 25, 2019, 10:53:25 PM »
About the USB fix....
I take what? And add it to where?
I’m not a programmer, and get lost in some of these discussions....
But I’m thrilled and fascinated by the work being done.
I’m still looking forward to the V 8.1 Installer of this. (Or whichever number it gets)
Thank you.

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1017 on: November 26, 2019, 12:54:00 AM »
v 8.0 + new ROM file + regular ATI drivers instead of the ones from v 8.0

or wait :)

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #1018 on: December 06, 2019, 08:28:58 AM »
@Nymunariya

Nothing but the ROM file has been modified (and ATI drivers, if on v8 and earlier). As such, a lot of the problems you detected are unrelated to any of this (like the suitcase issue you had).

Any language OS 9.2.2 installation will also work fine, as long as it doesn't require different assets located in the ROM file. But if it does, that has been done before: Some pages back, there was someone who was instructed on how to "merge" the ROM with a Chinese ROM via IIRC ResEdit, for example, so even such cases are doable, and, if ever needed, you may consult that for help.

Sound works perfectly via a USB audio adapter (mentioned and linked to many times by now).

Graphics work as perfectly as they do on any other Mac with that GPU or an equivalent GPU.

A USB hub works fine for the task (and what you used seemed like just another USB hub, with less ports), as long as it's externally powered, as well. The "mouse bug" is, as far as we know, completely unrelated to the usage or lack thereof of USB hubs. (It happens with or without them. A restart sometimes will and sometimes will not fix the issue. Most of the times, it does.)

Getting OS 9 recognized on OS X has indeed been asked about before, too, and that requires either spoofing the machine ID to something OS X acknowledges as a Mac-OS-9-compatible Mac, or hacking the Startup Disk module of OS X (maybe editing .plist files could do it?), so as it is, alt/option-booting is the only currently-available option to switch between them.
For the record, all Mac mini G4s are also technically 10.2.8 Jaguar compatible (no GPU acceleration) and 10.3.4+ Panther, besides 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard. (The switching issue persists across all of them.)

Offline DieHard

• Administrator
« Reply #1019 on: December 06, 2019, 11:16:57 AM »
For the record, all Mac mini G4s are also technically 10.2.8 Jaguar compatible (no GPU acceleration) and 10.3.4+ Panther, besides 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard. (The switching issue persists across all of them.)

The Mini has always been an absolute snail under OS X anyway, IMO that is what made this whole undertaking worthwhile, it absolutely shines as an OS9 machine. 

There have been many changes for me over the last year... a painful operation, closing my retail PC store (over 20 years of stuff to move) and my brother/business partner moved out of liberal CA to conservative Florida because of his beliefs. But nothing gets Diehard down, I am finally getting back to moving all the site archives to my external RAIDs and getting back to playing with the mini again.  It will now become the main unit for the site to test OS9 software.  I am feeling optimistic toward 2020.  I now have moved the business to an office environment which may even give me the extra time to archive many CDs and DVDs that never made it to the download section.

I know many core users have been quiet, but I don't think it's a lack of interest, I think it's just life... we are all getting older and we have already accomplished so much with the old macs that the breakthroughs for 2020 may be very limited. I hope we are still getting some youthful members that will carry on the torch.  We will keep the ball rolling for as long as the info. here is needed and relevant; hopefully until the last member kicks the bucket in 2110.

Offline FdB

• And then...
Ch-ch-ch-changes
« Reply #1020 on: December 06, 2019, 01:10:04 PM »
All Hail Diehard!

Happy to see the return (never really left - did he?) and with even greater resolve and resilience… perhaps related to that of all our beloved OS9 machines.

“Quiet”? (I lurk here many times a day.)

The Mac Minis have now multiplied here like rabbits and just as soon as I wade through this final bunch of portable guitar amplifiers, I’ll be back and recording those samples with a Mini! Currently there are 20 portable amps in-house (and only one continues to avoid resurrection). Without MacOS9Lives, OS9 and everyone’s help here, I would never have ever attempted this deep-dive down this portable amplifier rabbit hole.

And… even now as many may think that OS9 has long been dead… there are those of us that know that “it ain’t necessarily so”. And also as DieHard has intimated… there are youthful members here to continue the effort(s). “The Gang” cr-hacked the Mini and while “no-new-horizons” might seem to be a prevalent mindset… well, just wait and see what the yutes here might eventually reveal. Onward!

Ever feel like we all share this surprising “little secret”? >OS9

“…we are all getting older”
            Get off my lawn! -FdB :o
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1021 on: December 06, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
i am sure all goes well for you in 2020, DH. <3

it is quiet here but that doesnt mean nobody is working on things. curiously watching OS923´s finder-releated discoveries and code fragments.^^

Offline IIO

• new to the forums
« Reply #1022 on: December 06, 2019, 01:12:06 PM »
damn, 14 seconds.

Offline mrhappy

• new to the forums
« Reply #1023 on: December 07, 2019, 09:52:43 AM »
i am sure all goes well for you in 2020, DH. <3

it is quiet here but that doesnt mean nobody is working on things. curiously watching OS923´s finder-releated discoveries and code fragments.^^

Yes... same here!

It seems that it's after these 'quiet' phases that all hell breaks loose!

MacTron... 'so I was playing around with this ASR thingy'.... BAMMM.... INSTANT DAW!!!!!!!!!!!

Imic... 'so I was playing around with this ROM thingy'..... BAMMM..... UNSUPPORTED OS9!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes, those quotes are paraphrased! Haha!! ;D

Who knows what MacTron is cooking up in his basement OS9 laboratory.... down there in his lab coat smoking a pipe and playing around with some obscure PCI card that will Bluetooth SATA to his Apple watch ( that he has running OS9!).... fyi, word on the street is that he doesn't wear anything under that lab coat!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #1024 on: December 08, 2019, 09:40:28 AM »
I sure wish y'all an excellent 2020, as well as an excellent month of December in 2019. You're all correct about people independently working on OS-9 things quietly in their respective corners, and sometimes not so quietly, when you look at the interest and actions of people in other places, like in the Macintosh Garden (which I'm a regular of, as "Jatoba", always going on about OS 9).

Mac OS 9 Lives!

The Mini has always been an absolute snail under OS X anyway, IMO that is what made this whole undertaking worthwhile, it absolutely shines as an OS9 machine.

At least on the 1.5GHz minis (which are all I used), they work really well, even 10.5 Leopard, but who cares about OS X, anyway? Even if they worked better on a mini, it doesn't matter: OS 9 is superior in nearly every way in user experience, and software library, and system performance, and customizability, and modularity. It was unmatched then and is unmatched forever. 8)

I mentioned it just so people know what versions of OS X they can use on it if they ever need it for something incredibly specific. Much like keeping GNU/Linux, BSD or even MorphOS on the side. (Not that I need any of those anywhere near my minis. ;))

The Mac Minis have now multiplied here like rabbits

Haha, same here! ;D And I still think I need even more breeding of that!

Offline Jubadub

« Reply #1025 on: December 11, 2019, 11:48:55 PM »
ELN, Nanopico & other Mac mini ROM hackers, I came across a utility today, by chance, which made me wonder if it could be of use to any of you, for inspecting Mac ROMs & understanding better what they contain.

It's called "ROM Sucker 2.0". I found it within the Fantasm 5.3 CD (to locate ROM Sucker, you need to "install" Fantasm, then search for the "Examples" folder).

From what I saw it do, it seemed to have promise in helping analyze a ROM, but only to a small degree. There's a good chance you guys' knowledge and accomplishments with the Mac mini ROM already go way beyond anything this app can offer, BUT I'm bringing this up just in case it may have the potential to assist further with things. Or be of help in some other situation.