Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 537341 times)

Offline tommi

• Newcomer
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #900 on: April 02, 2019, 12:11:03 AM »
Is there a possibility to change the Language or to make a own installation CD in another Language?

I ask this for possible entry for my blog in German.

most people should be ok with an US system ;) but you can take a german 9.2.2. and replace the modified components (a few things will remain english in this case.)

hello all, i can tell that a  9.2.1 german installation disc that came with my faithful 2nd hand wallstreet powerbook G3 boots up (at least) just fine both from internal hard disc (partition 2) and external firewire hard disc just by replacing the rom file from "v8 system" (on partition 1).

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
« Reply #901 on: April 02, 2019, 09:27:40 PM »
I'm new to the Forum ANd was Checking out this Thread> What is the latest Version? And I would like to Try it out on My PCC mac mini I have the 1.42 GHz PPC G4 with The standard 80 GB HD and 256 RAM  all clean with OSX. 10.4.11.  If someone has the Link to the Latest Working Version I would Appreciate it. Thx in Advance  8)

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #902 on: April 03, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »
Mac OS 9.2.2 (Mac mini G4 Only) Previously Unsupported - Bootable ISO v8
Contains Modified ROM & Hacked Video drivers, No Crazy OF Commands to type, Just Boot and Install !

NOTE: Three years in the making, this install is intended for Mac mini G4s only (1.25, 1.33, 1.42, 1.5 Ghz.)

DOWNLOAD HERE:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
« Reply #903 on: April 04, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »
So. I'd tried to make a bootable CD. I tried one as the ISO and one with the CD img on My Desktop-

They don't boot. What am I doing wrong??????

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
« Reply #904 on: April 05, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
I think this is a Hoax and Everybody is Laughing at Me, Having stayed up all night And Wasting my day. =/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:38:10 PM by Bo_Star »

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #905 on: April 06, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »
So. I'd tried to make a bootable CD. I tried one as the ISO and one with the CD img on My Desktop-

They don't boot. What am I doing wrong??????

It should have worked. I just tested it myself.

I downloaded the file "Ross's Mac mini OS 9 CD V8.iso", and burnt it to a cd. When mounted, the CD showed up as "Mac mini OS 9 CD". When I started my Mac mini with the cd in the drive and the 'c' key held down, it booted the cd. When the 'c' key was not held down, it booted from the normal hard drive.

Did your attempt to boot it go differently?

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
« Reply #906 on: April 06, 2019, 08:37:18 AM »
Also note that OSX probably won't let you select the cd as the startup device using System Preferences. it doesn't give you that option because the system is not "supposed" to be able to boot 9.2.2, even though the cd actually can boot on a mini.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 08:57:52 AM by Daniel »

Offline Woogetybop

« Reply #907 on: April 06, 2019, 09:04:35 AM »
Also
I have have had issues making bootable cd’s from my modern Mac, but no issues from my G4 Mac on same image file.
Don’t shoot the image file because of the cd burning program, or methods used.  ;)

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
« Reply #908 on: April 07, 2019, 01:38:41 AM »
Thx Everyone, I got it. I had to Burn the ISO from Disk Utilities on the Mac Mini. and restart with Option Key Down...  I was Buring it on My MBA  with a USB  Combo drive....   Now to set up OMS right=/

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
« Reply #909 on: April 07, 2019, 05:35:15 AM »
I think sometime we should compile a list of all these gotchas and put the list at every "previously unsupported" cd.

A lot of the things that are obvious to us aren't that obvious to other people.

Offline Bo_Star

• Valued Member
« Reply #910 on: April 07, 2019, 01:37:12 PM »
I think sometime we should compile a list of all these gotchas and put the list at every "previously unsupported" cd.

I don't Use My Mini for anything internet Just on LAN. So I dl it on a MBA and Burn a CD using the MBA  But MBA doesn't have a Optical Drive and I used an external one..  I didn't think of doing it on the mini......  =/  Now I'm dealing with OMS issues. But that's another topic......

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #911 on: April 08, 2019, 09:07:53 AM »

Nah.... that's half the fun... many core members (including you, Daniel) have created a literal goldmine of treasure for others to have...free....at will,
but we can only spoon-feed so far, effort must be done by the "true believers" to reach OS9 Valhalla

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Re:OS 9 / Mac mini G4
« Reply #912 on: April 08, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »

“…navigatin’ them fjords” Sven. ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #913 on: April 12, 2019, 02:13:39 AM »
i just ran into an offer for an A1103 with 933MHz (shows image of about-this-mac and confirmed my question about it).

is it possible to downclock the 1.25 to 933? seems weird.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #914 on: April 13, 2019, 05:09:59 AM »

especially the more experienced user will "know" that he does not have to hold C when there is no other OS on the internal harddrive or anywhere else available. :)

but if you ask me, the download thread is already overloaded with information and most people are too impatient anyway and dont read stuff.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline tubaman500

• Valued Member
« Reply #915 on: April 13, 2019, 06:07:27 PM »
I have a Mini G4 1.33 GHz with the 9200 card.  It is connected to a Dell 24-inch monitor (vintage 2007) with a native resolution of 1900 x 1200 via a DVI cable.  I created the Mac Mini OS 9 Install Disk (version 8) successfully.  I was able to boot from it on the built in hard drive, as well as on an external FW CD drive.  In both cases, all of the expected things on the desktop seem to have shown up to begin the install, but all the text was garbled, mostly unreadable.  I attached a couple of pictures to demonstrate.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening, and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks!

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
« Reply #916 on: April 13, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
The pointer and the scroll bars look weird too, not just the text.

Probably means that either the screen is messed up, or the mini's display output is.

I would suggest testing the monitor on a different computer, and the mini with a different monitor. That should tell you what is messed up.

You can also try changing various settings in the monitor control panel, or maybe the menu of the display itself. That may fix things, but I doubt it.

Offline tubaman500

• Valued Member
« Reply #917 on: April 13, 2019, 06:58:23 PM »

Probably means that either the screen is messed up, or the mini's display output is.

I would suggest testing the monitor on a different computer, and the mini with a different monitor. That should tell you what is messed up.

You can also try changing various settings in the monitor control panel, or maybe the menu of the display itself. That may fix things, but I doubt it.

Thanks for your response, Daniel.  I should point out that the Dell screen image looks perfectly fine using this setup on the Mini booting into OS 10.4, or using programs in the Classic OS 9 emulation. I would think if there was a problem with the mini itself, it wouldn't produce a nice crisp image when booting into OS X, or working in the Classic environment, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, the monitor has always displayed perfectly using my 2010 Mac Pro.  Unfortunately, I have no other monitors to test. 

I can try your suggestion of changing something like the resolution of the monitor from the OS X Display preferences, but once I boot into the OS 9 install disc, I would think those settings would be irrelevant.  I'm not sure what I could possibly change on the monitor itself.

Any other ideas?

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #918 on: April 13, 2019, 07:10:51 PM »
What OS 9 mini (hack) version number are your using?

And OS 10.4 was already on the mini’s HD along with Classic OS 9 / emulation?

Or did you two-partition the HD (one partition for OS 10.4 and one for OS 9.2.2)?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
« Reply #919 on: April 13, 2019, 08:00:02 PM »

Thanks for your response, Daniel.  I should point out that the Dell screen image looks perfectly fine using this setup on the Mini booting into OS 10.4, or using programs in the Classic OS 9 emulation. I would think if there was a problem with the mini itself, it wouldn't produce a nice crisp image when booting into OS X, or working in the Classic environment, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also, the monitor has always displayed perfectly using my 2010 Mac Pro.  Unfortunately, I have no other monitors to test. 

I can try your suggestion of changing something like the resolution of the monitor from the OS X Display preferences, but once I boot into the OS 9 install disc, I would think those settings would be irrelevant.  I'm not sure what I could possibly change on the monitor itself.

Any other ideas?

No more ideas from me. I have never seen this problem before.

At least it is a new and interesting unsolved problem rather than an old and boring unsolved problem :)