Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 537630 times)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #640 on: May 26, 2018, 04:06:05 PM »
Okay, I see maybe because it doesn't do all the files at the same time (wouldn't be possible the way it checks if the file exists already), so when you expand one it finishes it then moves on to the next file. But yeah at the end of the updater when it briefly opens the system folder then closes it, on the target disk, this is the way I got the system folder to become blessed, which was handy.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #641 on: May 26, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
yeah, i noticed that. even if there would be a specific applescript command it would be best do to do it like this.

i just tried to modify a german 9.2.2. it boots. but i dont do any deeper tests because i dont really care.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline solderwire

• Mac mini G4 and iBook G3 (Dual USB)
« Reply #642 on: May 26, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »
yeah, i noticed that. even if there would be a specific applescript command it would be best do to do it like this.

i just tried to modify a german 9.2.2. it boots. but i dont do any deeper tests because i dont really care.
I modified a Simplified Chinese 9.2.2, now it works well on my mini. I replaced the ROM, graphics, FireWire and USB drivers using the drivers from the RossDarker's mini CD. You have to replace the Apple Enet extension too, otherwise you will have a wrong IP address.
Mac mini G4 and iBook G3 (Dual USB)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #643 on: May 27, 2018, 07:24:58 AM »
FireWire and USB drivers using the drivers from the RossDarker's mini CD. You have to replace the Apple Enet extension too, otherwise you will have a wrong IP address.

that iss releated to the "CPU software" version, right? so a localized latest-CPU-version would do, too?

Offline solderwire

« Reply #644 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »
FireWire and USB drivers using the drivers from the RossDarker's mini CD. You have to replace the Apple Enet extension too, otherwise you will have a wrong IP address.

that iss releated to the "CPU software" version, right? so a localized latest-CPU-version would do, too?
I think it will work properly. You're lucky because you can get a localized 9.2.2 with latest CPU SW... Chinese version of 9.2.2 install/restore CDs with ROM version higher than 9.0.1 are lost...

macStuff

« Reply #645 on: May 28, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »
what do u mean they are lost? lost to some maybe but not everyone
the chinese installers should be part of the "mac os anthology"
that you can find on the net
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/81-mac-os-anthology-1999-2000-2001-

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #646 on: May 29, 2018, 06:45:11 AM »
i am not sure what the OS9General.dmg of a chinese retail OSX contains. :) but you could fill the missing gaps with the US versions, and in cases where the filename matters (probably not for networtk drivers) eventually just rename them to your language.

Offline solderwire

« Reply #647 on: May 29, 2018, 10:27:52 AM »
what do u mean they are lost? lost to some maybe but not everyone
the chinese installers should be part of the "mac os anthology"
that you can find on the net
https://www.macintoshrepository.org/81-mac-os-anthology-1999-2000-2001-
The Anthology is still incomplete. For example, the Chinese SSW 7.0 is missing, and the Chinese Mac OS 8.1 refuses to boot on 68k Machines, it says it is PowerPC-specific.

macStuff

« Reply #648 on: May 29, 2018, 11:32:02 PM »
seriously? theres so many languages.. i cant see how they would skip chinese when theres so many chinese people in the world

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #649 on: May 30, 2018, 01:20:53 AM »
Got a new ISO guys, still called v7, if you are already running v7, don't bother with this one as it is an update to the CD only, which fixed a few errors, such as Bugdom and Classilla not being able to copy over, and I have also added a couple icons onto some folders on the CD. Base system is same as before, but a much better CD than the last one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JtsVSVlWDOAjZBeZnVOP3chdS3spJzLf/view?usp=sharing

Latest Version of Mac mini Full Version7 ISO Here and optional SIT Archive for those who want to manually patch a current OS 9 system:
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 01:34:17 PM by DieHard »

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #650 on: May 30, 2018, 06:48:58 AM »
Anyone have QuickbenchX, I'm checking Firewire throughput on the Mini under OS9 vs OS X?

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #651 on: May 31, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
Boy, I must be a thread killer, first I completely killed the VC section, now I'm killing this one. :P

Offline Hyram

• Valued Member
  • Y-y-yes, Mis-ter Tracy!
« Reply #652 on: June 06, 2018, 11:35:37 AM »
Just reporting in to, well, report in that I've been successful with my G4 1.42 darling!

She's a stock first-run 1.42, except the drive is a 32 GB mSATA in a conversion enclosure I nabbed from fleabay a while ago for under $10, and it makes this little lunchbox run super-slick.

Kudos to all contributors!

I'll be digging through my archives to see what other useful goodies I can add ... fairly certain I have a copy of os9vnc and Vine around that'd work a treat, a few small but eminently useful CDEVs & INITs ... I'll keep everyone posted with what I find works.

BTW, why does it think it is a G4 Cube? Wouldn't it be a nice touch to hack that in somewhere? :)

H
"What's your opinion Brains?" "I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my taste, al-although the rhythm has a certain hypnotic effect."

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #653 on: June 06, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
I think it's a G4 Cube in System Profiler because when it was set to Mac mini, I believe it would shut down randomly, maybe because it thought it was an iBook (?)

By the way, you did use Apple Software Restore app from the CD to install right? I'm guessing you did that then copied the whole CD Extras folder and the Read Me from the CD right? If you didn't use Apple Software Restore, use that as that will give you a complete folder. But you probably did use Apple Software Restore so it's fine.

It's good to see.

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
Mac mini G4 mSATA
« Reply #654 on: June 06, 2018, 02:02:46 PM »
Whaaaat?

An mSATA in a Mac Mini! WOWZA.
 8) 8) 8)Would REALLY like to know which mSATA & conversion enclosure… and what your Read/Write stats are?

And no darth, ya didn’t kill the thread. Any luck with the FW QuickBench results? (MacBench too?)

WELCOME HYRAM!

…and 1GB DDR 400 CL3 / ASR reports as PC133 CL3?
This Must Be The Place

Offline Hyram

• Valued Member
  • Y-y-yes, Mis-ter Tracy!
Re: Mac mini G4 mSATA
« Reply #655 on: June 06, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »
I think it's a G4 Cube in System Profiler because when it was set to Mac mini, I believe it would shut down randomly, maybe because it thought it was an iBook

Wuh-eeeeeird.

By the way, you did use Apple Software Restore app from the CD to install right? I'm guessing you did that then copied the whole CD Extras folder and the Read Me from the CD right?

Right on all counts.

Would REALLY like to know which mSATA & conversion enclosure

I forget the model-number of the mSATA drive, but its an older Samsung. I've had excellent success SSDifying my old lovelies with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381616689178

The only drawback I've encountered with it is the fact its plastic case is 9.5mm thick, so for a couple of laptops I've had to grind it back with sandpaper until it fits a tight 9mm bay.

… and what your Read/Write stats are?

Cut me some slack boyo, this is a newborn sucking at the teat!  :P  I never really got into stats or worried about speed when pre-X was my daily driver, what tool(s) would you suggest?

WELCOME HYRAM!

Graci!

…and 1GB DDR 400 CL3 / ASR reports as PC133 CL3?

I admit that's a smidge confusing :)

All in all its a sterling effort, but t'would be nice ice if Profiler actually told the truth, wot? How else are we going to brag about our success! :P

H
"What's your opinion Brains?" "I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my taste, al-although the rhythm has a certain hypnotic effect."

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #656 on: June 06, 2018, 05:17:26 PM »
Apologies for any un-intended pressure(s).

Currently weighing performance/choice/costs of DOM vs. mSATA and an Ableconn “sled” adapter. Concerns about possible added *heat from enclosures vs. the open “sleds” and the solo mini fan. See: http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4435.0.html? (come on over) for more background info. (I’ve ordered the Zheino 120GB - maybe overkill and the Ableconn.)

*Thinking that the open sled will dissipate any possible added heat, mo’ bettah?

There was a somewhat informal poll here (fairly recent) concerning just what Model name should be used. (Read back, this thread, I think.) Also, maybe Ross meant to say “if” it was set to “Mac mini” › then "confused" random shut downs might occur?

Probably will run MacBench 3.0 http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macbench-30 on the 1.5 GHz mini here before… and after the install of the Zheino. AND… check operating temps before and after the install.

Now I’ll need to check/research which chipset your adapter uses. Marvell or the JM20330?

$7.56 for your adapter vs. $28.99 for the Ableconn (Marvell chipset). Ninester’s Aneew adapter (with JM20330 chipset) came in @ $11.49.

OS X partition reports 1GB RAM... correctly.

Personally, I’d like the Profiler to note mine as “Godzilla”! ;)
This Must Be The Place

Offline FdB

• Platinum Member
  • And then...
« Reply #657 on: June 06, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »
Ahhh, one can see the JM20330 chip in the close-up image on your eBay link.
Sales of sandpaper rises.
This Must Be The Place

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Mac mini G4 mSATA
« Reply #658 on: June 06, 2018, 07:13:41 PM »
I think it's a G4 Cube in System Profiler because when it was set to Mac mini, I believe it would shut down randomly, maybe because it thought it was an iBook

Wuh-eeeeeird.

gestalt pro: can even report what it would like to be.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #659 on: June 07, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
This is an explanation from a few weeks back:
PS why does ELN make the ROM change the Compatibility and Model properties to PowerMac5,1? I would personally just leave it be as PowerMac10,1... but im curious why he changes it to that of the Cube?

The issue that arose on my Mini at random, and presumably would have on everyone else's eventually, was that OS 9 believed the Mini was an iBook and would automatically shut down to protect itself when it erroneously 'detected' the presence of a depleted battery and thinking it was running only on battery.  This may have been partially related to the hacked handling of the PMU, which was required to get this machine going in the first place, but as it stood would have made further testing next to impossible.  The simplest fix for now was to force the machine model to be detected as a non-portable type, which ELN selected to be the Cube as cute and mildly appropriate designation - it's the most similar 'flavor' of machine type/packaging, you might say a 'baby cube'/'son of a cube'/cube junior'.

When the underlying issues get figured out, sure, it would be lovely to have the OS display a proper identity for the PowerMac10,1.  That would likely require more complex changes to prevent the 'portable phantom battery' behavior from happening, but for now we're served sufficiently well with the "Cube" designation for the sake of working through the rest of the major fixes we need to accomplish (minor remaining video bugs, correct sound device handling in control panel, better PMU support).  To some extent the Mini is a learning exercise that will help with compatibility fixes on other machines too, so the more stable a test bed right now, the better.

I actually got the random shutdown back in March too, when using the older ROMs.