Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 537849 times)

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Mac Os 9 boot on unsupported Hardware, "The state Of the art".
« Reply #600 on: May 19, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
Now you can boot to mini, but remove the ASIO drivers

now that you mention it, yeah, that is anaother trap on the mini, ASIO soundmanager is often selected as default. :)
insert arbitrary signature here

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #601 on: May 20, 2018, 10:43:24 AM »

would you guys help me to assemble an overview of the modified files of the mini CD.

/Mac OS ROM

Changes: ...
Reason for  these Changes: ...
Code: ... (if applicable)

/Prefrerences/WeatherPrefs.txt

Changes: ...
Reason for these Changes: ...
Code: ... (if applicable)

i know that most of it is in the forums, but mabye we can first add what someone knows by heart already.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #602 on: May 20, 2018, 11:07:29 AM »
For v7 of the Mac mini OS 9, not v5, I can think of...

Most extensions are CPU 5.9, one is Z-5.6, and the ROM is 5.4

Modified files:
System Folder:Mac OS ROM
Changes: Edits/Patches to various parts
Reason for Changes: Allow the Mac mini G4 to boot Mac OS 9
Version: 9.6.1, CPU Software 5.4.

System Folder:Extensions:ATI*
Changes: Patched/Edited ATI extensions.
Reason for Changes: Enables Hardware/3d/2d acceleration and probably other graphics related things

Removed files:
System Folder:Control Panels:Energy Saver
Reason for removal: Replaced by Sleeper.

System Folder:Control Strip Modules:Energy Settings
Reason for removal: Replaced by Sleeper Strip.

Added files:
System Folder:Control Panels:Sleeper
Reason for adding: Only sends display and hard disk to sleep, when told to sleep, and not the CPU. (get's rid of not waking up issue)

System Folder:Control Strip Modules:Sleeper Strip
Reason for adding: Replaces the Energy Settings strip, more or less same functions, but works with the Sleeper control panel

System Folder:Scripting Additions:Sleeper osax
Reason for adding: Think this works with Apple Script to work with the Sleeper Control Panel functions

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:01:18 PM by RossDarker »

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #603 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »
Ok I see now a bit but you know the latest mac mini rom file works with the Multiprocessing folder, with Apple CPU Plugins right?

I did not remember that so I that step is not necessary now, I will dive back into the mini next weekend and do more real-world testing with the new ROM

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #604 on: May 20, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
Yes you should definitely keep the Multiprocessing folder in, as the fans run much quieter, and cooler, and with the Sleeper control panel & strip & addition replacing Energy Saver ones, we don't have the "doesn't wake up from sleep" problem. All this new stuff is built into the v7 CD.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #605 on: May 20, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »
Ross,

that breakdown is awesome !  But we should include and actual file listing (with locations to copy to) and SIT archive and put it in the download folder for v7 mac mini ISO, this will be for those who need to "manually" drag the files if they are using an different ASR like the "Instant DAW" or if they are transferring a Fully working OS9 Setup from another G4 with all applications and preferences.

Thanks for all the hard work compiling stuff :)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #606 on: May 20, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
10 minutes, I'll have the Stuffit Archive with the v7 stuff in attached.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #607 on: May 20, 2018, 01:35:48 PM »
New Version 7 CD ISO available !

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.0.html

Also, has the optional Stuffit archive with all modified files for those that have to modify an existing Setup and do NOT want to install from scratch

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #608 on: May 20, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »
That's great. Also Mac Torrent is in CD Extras now. By the way when I downloaded the v7 Items.sit, some files had lost their icons, but they still open and function as they should! Do you notice this??

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #609 on: May 20, 2018, 02:16:51 PM »
...did someone remove the desktop DB using toast? :)

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #610 on: May 20, 2018, 02:28:22 PM »
But we should include and actual file listing (with locations to copy to)

yes please, the actual filenames (of the graphics driver files) will enable third parties to do any additional modification to the installation process they wish.

maybe we find some interesting news ways for organizings things.

thats why i was suggesting the use of showy ID -16455 icons for the modified files.

(otoh, when i think about it, not everyone was using a "universal" OS9 before on his other machine, and therefore doesnt have the finder and CPU software version required, right? so you would always "update" a mini system with your custom stuff - and never the other way round.)

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #611 on: May 20, 2018, 03:49:26 PM »

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #612 on: May 20, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
mini OS v7.1

when i just copy the system folder to a preexisting OS9ified mini in order to update the machine from the old system to the new

1. usb overdrive is in extras, but it is already installed, too. (there is a third copy of usb overdrive in the trash of the CD)

2. i am getting the system 6 / floppy style "please insert the disk:" error message after startup. this is permanent. (how to remove it?)

3. the applemenu doesnt look like it looks after a regular install (mainly /controlpanels is missing and the ASR app is present. that is probably unavoidable for a copy of the CD boot folder, just saying :) )

4. i did extensive tests on 2 minis with the new sleep software - it seems to work great. i have not tested anything in the fields of intereferences when the apple energy saver is also active. when it does not work 100% anyway, should we remove it completely? (panels off folder)

someone should contact allesandro and ask if we can register usboverdrive already on the CD.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:09:50 PM by IIO »

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #613 on: May 20, 2018, 11:27:05 PM »
Ah I see I forgot to empty the trash probably when fixing some CD extras. Run the USB overdrive installer when you are booted off the hard disk. Also when it says insert the disk it is probably because the startup items aliases are messed up. When you eject the CD does the apple menu look normal again? Tell you what when I get home I'll work on 7.2.

110, are you copying over the right System Folder? The one just there on the CD has USB overdrive in, and the apple menu is only for tools you need from the CD, but the one from the Macintosh HD image is a completely normal apple menu and does not have usb overdrive installed.

Also I will make the new SIT archive so it contains a disk image so the desktop file will be on there.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:45:22 PM by RossDarker »

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #614 on: May 21, 2018, 07:27:35 AM »
110, are you copying over the right System Folder?

no, i am not.

but that was intentionally, just to see what happens.

is it possible to make the boot system folder invisible? it is the first one the user sees.

p.s. you´re right, it is the aliases in /startup items, i wasnt thinking about that.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #615 on: May 21, 2018, 07:44:21 AM »
But the add ons to get the Mac mini running are in the separate SIT archive, it's easier than downloading thr whole ISO if you are using a current system. If you use the ISO, only use ASR because it is not supposed to be used by manually copying things.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #616 on: May 21, 2018, 07:53:38 AM »
ASR is great, i dont question the method. i was thinking about this:

the current method to update a mac mini OS without erasing the volume is:

- remove the system file from the system folder
 - delete the system folder from HD
 - mount and open the ASR image file from the CD
 - copy the system folder from the CD to your HD.

can´t this be automated with a an applescript somehow?

it would have to prompt the user with a query/opendialog for which system folder he would like to update (the path must be clear, among other reasons because there could be more than 1 systee moflder on the mini), then perform the above jobs (while making sure that the newly created system folder is blessed, not that applescript somehow brakes this. when you copy manually it is no problem) - and then afterwards do an automatic reboot or only leave one option for the user to reboot now.

then the CD would have an "update my system" option besides the ASR installation method - while using the same files from the disc copy document.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #617 on: May 21, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »
I guess but adding the new system folder would get rid of any extensions, prefs, panels and other configurations. If that is replacing the whole current one. It takes less time to only download the SIT archive, than the whole new CD, and burning it to use another disc.

Online IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #618 on: May 21, 2018, 08:06:35 AM »
yeah of course. solving one problem always causes another.

i thought it could be less work for you to not have to build a parallel "updater" release.

a possible v8 updater might have to be support updating v5 as well as v7 and i dont think you want to assemble "combo updater" sits :D

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #619 on: May 21, 2018, 08:14:53 AM »
If I were to make the updater with Apple Script, to place the files and remove files into/from current locations, I run in to problems. If I tell Apple Script to move the Multiprocessor folder into extensions, if it already exists, the rest of the script is stopped. To prevent this you would delete the Multiprocessing folder, but if it tries to delete it, and it's not there, then the script will fail. I need something like:

if System Folder:Extensions:Multiprocessing exists then
    do nothing
else
   move Multiprocessing folder into System Folder:Extensions
end if

I think there is a "try" isn't there? Like:
try move Multiprocessing into System Folder:Extrensions
on error, leave it in there
on success, move it in there