Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 537736 times)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #580 on: May 12, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »
That is strange, I will make a new CD, v7, a remake, I do need to change something in the Base System too, so it is a great time to do this.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:06:07 AM by RossDarker »

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #581 on: May 12, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
It was an issue with the dual-in setup (PC/MAC). Using only the mac and everything is ok.

Do you think there will an "option" for the internal speaker or is it completely useless in OS9?
Using a powered sub-sat system leads to "plops" when using the menu and the sound seems completly oversteered.

What Sound device is optimal for that OS9-Mini ?

Thx!

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #582 on: May 12, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
Right now the internal speaker is completely useless.

The speaker I connect the Mac mini too is called an AZATOM UFO, which I got a few years ago for my iPod touch.
It works well with the Mac mini in OS 9.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #583 on: May 12, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »
What Sound device is optimal for that OS9-Mini ?

anything firewire or usb with OS9 drivers will work.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #584 on: May 13, 2018, 06:26:35 AM »
M-Audio FireWire Audiophile

Can a MT32 hooked up to that device and can it be used under OS9.22 and 10.3.9 with ScummVM

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #585 on: May 13, 2018, 07:11:33 AM »

Can a MT32 hooked up to that device and can it be used under OS9.22 and 10.3.9 with ScummVM

Avoid the M-Audio Firewire models, the Audiophile in particular, we have no working OS 9 drivers for it. There is a thread about it:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=3471.0

I've been working all day trying to get the one DieHard sent me to work under OS 9, however nothing I do has made it work, and I'm unsure what the trouble is, I'll update that thread if I ever figure the trouble.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #586 on: May 13, 2018, 08:10:03 AM »
This one took me a day because of the amount of problems I ran into, but I have finally perfected, Mac mini OS 9 CD v7.
Everyone should use this as it is far better than v6 & v5. The performance is much better, and the new Suitcase makes the system cleaner, and the CD install is easier to use.

Download ISO here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-bPJg1dqEPTbE5GNEuEP_V-KqgMl-dm6/view?usp=sharing
Burn, boot, install.

Completely remade the CD, though it is very similar to v6
Mac Torrent now in CD Extras folder, as well as USB Overdrive, Classilla, Bugdom (SW), Shut Down.
As in v6, Multiprocessing is in by default.
Sleeper Control Panel & Control Strip and Scripting Addition replace Energy Saver ones.
Apple Menu on the CD contains all the apps you need to make the install, and took out useless Apple Menu Items for installing.
System Suitcase no longer uses the patched boot resource ID 3.
Once again, you should all use this.

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #587 on: May 13, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »

Avoid the M-Audio Firewire models, the Audiophile in particular, we have no working OS 9 drivers for it. There is a thread about it:

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=3471.0

I've been working all day trying to get the one DieHard sent me to work under OS 9, however nothing I do has made it work, and I'm unsure what the trouble is, I'll update that thread if I ever figure the trouble.

So what should I go for if I want to use OS9/OSX 10.3.9 and ScummVM and a real MT32/CM32L.
Should be small and not too expansive.

Thx
Doc

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #588 on: May 13, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »
ScummVM and a real MT32/CM32L.

i have no idea what that is. however, it doesnt matter much what hardware or sofware you want to use, an audio interface is an audio interface.

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #589 on: May 13, 2018, 09:59:08 PM »
You are right. Using my LaCie USB-Speakers do not solve the Audio-Problem because they are 100% loud and can not be regulated through the pro-keyboard-buttons, that's (really) bad :(

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #590 on: May 15, 2018, 08:22:20 AM »
LaCie also produced a firewire speaker-set, but I think it will be the same. 100% loud.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #591 on: May 15, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
if you want to use speakers with a mini, they should have a volume control. :)

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #592 on: May 15, 2018, 01:21:42 PM »
if you want to use speakers with a mini, they should have a volume control. :)

currently yes, any chance of fixing that?

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #593 on: May 15, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »
yes, get some with volume control. :)

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #594 on: May 15, 2018, 10:32:12 PM »
I’m actually a bit lost with it. If anyone wants to have their own look at the Apple Audio Extension, I’d be happy to help. Attached to a previous post is a version of the extension with all the PEF binaries moves to resources. This might make it a bit easier to pull apart.

Offline widdly

• Enthusiast Member
  • Beige G3, Alchemy, Turbosynth, Sounddiver, K2000r
Re: Mac Os 9 boot on unsupported Hardware, "The state Of the art".
« Reply #595 on: May 17, 2018, 05:51:37 PM »
I've got a G4 Mac Mini on the way and I'm pretty keen to get OS9 on to it. 

I'm curious about the Instant DAW CD too.  I assume that this wont work for the Mini since the OS is modified and the Instant DAW restores a different OS version.  Is that correct?

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #596 on: May 17, 2018, 06:33:44 PM »
That is correct. The Instant DAW CD does not have the Mac OS ROM file needed to boot on the Mini.

If you particularly wanted the Instant DAW on the Mini, you could install the Mini CD on a temporary partition, insert the DAW CD (not booting off of it) to use Apple Software Restore to put Instant DAW on the main partition, then copy the Mac OS ROM file (and a few others) to the DAW System Folder from the Mini System Folder. Then, the DAW partition would be bootable.

Maybe someone will whip up a CD so you don't have to do System Folder brain surgery to get Instant DAW on a Mini.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #597 on: May 18, 2018, 07:09:16 AM »
I've got a G4 Mac Mini on the way and I'm pretty keen to get OS9 on to it. 

I'm curious about the Instant DAW CD too.  I assume that this wont work for the Mini since the OS is modified and the Instant DAW restores a different OS version.  Is that correct?

you´d neeed 2 optical drives, then it should be doable without too much hassle.

boot from the mini CD and initialize the HD from there, then mirror the disk with the instant daw installer CD, then replace the modified components for the mini (or better replace the system folder) with the one from the mini CD.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:22:43 AM by IIO »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #598 on: May 18, 2018, 08:26:07 AM »
That is correct. The Instant DAW CD does not have the Mac OS ROM file needed to boot on the Mini.

If you particularly wanted the Instant DAW on the Mini, you could install the Mini CD on a temporary partition, insert the DAW CD (not booting off of it) to use Apple Software Restore to put Instant DAW on the main partition, then copy the Mac OS ROM file (and a few others) to the DAW System Folder from the Mini System Folder. Then, the DAW partition would be bootable.

Maybe someone will whip up a CD so you don't have to do System Folder brain surgery to get Instant DAW on a Mini.

Well the Instant DAW would require too many CDs; the way I installed it on the Mini (assumes you have 2 macs) was...
1) Boot the Mini in target mode
2) Connect to a working OS 9 unit that has:
     a) instant DAW files already downloaded on it
     b) The famous Ross mini CD image mounted on desktop
3) Run instant DAW and pick the mini's hard drive (connected via "target mode" as an external HD) as the destination drive
4) remove the newly created "multi-processing folder" under the extensions on the mini
5) copy from the Ross image to the mini hd:
     a) the ROM file
     b) any ATI extensions (delete the current ATI extensions on the mini)

Now you can boot to mini, but remove the ASIO drivers (BEFORE you attempt to launch Cubase) on the mini under the Cubase/ASIO and install firewire ASIO or USB ASIO for a working interface under OS 9, the stock system sound ASIO drivers will lock up Cubase and they are unusable

Lastly, if you just have the mini only: (no other OS 9 unit)
1) make 2 partitions
2) Install ROSS CD on Partition 2
3) Boot to partition 2 and follow the instructions above to create the instant DAW on the first partition

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #599 on: May 19, 2018, 02:50:17 AM »
Diehard, if you use the v7 CD (at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RDrQY3bUePLRWoDQmqWNEc1Uf8ooh-Kd/view?usp=sharing [updated 19th may 2018] ) the multiprocessing folder does not need to be removed, just also make sure to copy Sleeper control strip, Sleeper control panel, and sleeper scripting addition over as well as the ROM and ATI extensions, if you are copying them to the instant DAW.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:12:08 PM by RossDarker »