Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 537877 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #560 on: May 08, 2018, 04:06:37 AM »
i guess we just hijacked the thread.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #561 on: May 08, 2018, 07:13:33 AM »
i guess we just hijacked the thread.

Ok then one more silly post till we get back on track...

Hey DieHard, I just noticed your tooth brush in one of your pics... are you related to the Osmond family??  ;D ;D ;D

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #562 on: May 08, 2018, 08:13:12 AM »
Hey DieHard, I just noticed your tooth brush in one of your pics
Yeah, we use all sorts of stuff on people's computers when they are not looking :)

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #563 on: May 08, 2018, 12:40:13 PM »
  He also has a couple of PS2-to-USB adapters there - Gasp!

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #564 on: May 09, 2018, 10:25:36 PM »
Great Work! I installed it on one of my Mini's and it worked like a charm.

Although i'm not able to make a network connection. It won't get a DHCP address, when I add an address manually it also won't work. Or an i just to Stopid :D I didn't worked much whit OS9. 

macStuff

Re: Booting Mac Os 9 on Mac Mini.
« Reply #565 on: May 10, 2018, 04:38:51 AM »
Mystery figured out, I was multitasking and did not realize that the Mini had 250GB hard drives.... that's what I get for being old and working on too much at once, so the boot partition was too large for OS9, re-partitioned into 2 and voila, image works fine :)

Can't wait to test it out later on :)

this limit only applies to the "first" or "Boot" drive partition right?
to have it be under 190GB

Online RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #566 on: May 10, 2018, 07:56:57 AM »
@Roman78, Sometimes you can open the Setup assistant again, I think it's in Applications (Mac OS 9):Utilities:Assistants: then I think you don't run "Mac OS Setup Assistant", but go in another folder and run the setup assistant in there, you'll know it's the right one if you get the blue screen and welcome movie. Now go through the setup until you reach the internet part. Click "use existing internet service" (something like that), then select DSL modem. After, enter your email address into the first two boxes, and in the 3rd type something like "smtp.gmail.com", leaving all optional boxes blank, then click continue and after it should say "Your Going Online" click connect, and it should open IE5 and give a server invalid error. Now you should be able to browse best with Classilla, (which you copy from the CD Extras folder on the Mac mini OS 9 CD).

Offline Roman78

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #567 on: May 10, 2018, 10:54:49 AM »
@RossDarker, Thanks for the reply. But now it just worked after i restarted. I have the same strange thing on my hacky. When i Boot without cable it won't work. Do i boot whit cable it works. Now i have to connect my NAS.

Online RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #568 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
Nice

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #569 on: May 10, 2018, 12:11:44 PM »
DHPC with fixed adress basically works like on OSX, it is just not called explicitely "DHCP with manual adress", it is called "manually" and you have to make sure that your IP is actually in the correct range.

in OS9, networking prefs is spread across several control panels, and for DHCP or LAN jobs you only need to configure the TCP/IP one.

evenntually you also have to turn off appletalk (with the "chooser" application in the apple menu (what a silly place to put apps!)), but on the mini install CD it is of course off by default.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #570 on: May 11, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
Hi, I have installed v6 on my 1.42Mini. I made a partition table in OS9:

60 MB DH0
20 GB OS9
40 GB OSX
16 GB DH1

OS9 did install on the 20GB Partition. First start the mouse-pointer freezed. I hava a pro-keyboard and installed the usb-mouse in an USB plug on the mini. then it worked. The first restart I recognized that there is no audio from the internal speaker. I cannot change that yet. Is there something wrong or do I need a USB sounddevice?

After that I installed Pather. If I am not pressing the "choice" key. always panther will be loaded. That is no a big issue but I will have to wait long if I would like to start OS9.

DH0 and DH1 are prepared for MorphOS, but the installer of MorphOS seems to have problems with the partitiontable OS9 created on the HDD.

Doc 

Online RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #571 on: May 12, 2018, 12:55:52 AM »
@drzeissler,  thanks for trying out the v6 CD. The mouse cursor can get stuck yes, and people in this thread are trying to fix it.

About the sound, the internal speaker does not work yet, but for me I didn't ever use the internal speaker (in my opinion it's just meant for the chime). The way I get sound is connect a HiFi to the headphone jack. It needs to have a volume control on the speaker you connect because you can not adjust the sound from the OS, and so only from the speaker. A USB sound device or even FireWire would probably work too.

You say that it will load panther if not using option key. Now you can set the startup disk using the OS 9 Startup Disk control panel, it's also listed in the Apple Menu in the Control Panels folder. This should let you choose either to load OS 9 or Panther by default (click the triangle on the disk to select startup system folder). You probably have to use option key to choose Morph OS (if you get it installed) though you can set it in Open Firmware I think to choose which default partition.

You could try and follow and mix together these guides, to get OS 9, OS X and Morph OS:
http://lowendmac.com/2010/create-a-triple-boot-mac-with-os-9-os-x-and-linux/
https://dreamolers.binaryriot.org/dualboot.pdf

They use disk utility in that second one, but it won't let you choose OS 9 drivers on the Mac mini in OS X, so you probably will have to use the terminal and "diskutil partitionDisk" with the correct options to get the drivers in.

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #572 on: May 12, 2018, 02:30:21 AM »
Thx!
I wanted to use that MorphOS guide but it hangs during hdd-setup. I make some pictures of it.

Within panther it recognizes the OS9 system folder for "classic" but tells me that he will have to make changes. I did not do that.
Classic is not usefull anymore if I get native OS9 on the Mini.

Changing the "startup-disk" from os9 or osx is not working from both sides. I 'll have to checkout from which side it was not working and it's not that thin I want.

I want a startmenu like I have on my other Systems that is displayed everytime I startup the machine and that let's me choose which OS I want.

e.g. https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/41310819881/in/dateposted-public/

Online RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #573 on: May 12, 2018, 02:35:20 AM »
There is probably a way of getting the "multi-boot" command to happen, every time you startup. Like if you go to CMD+ALT+O+F, and type multi-boot, you will get to the option screen. You could put it in the NVRAM and have it display every time without holding the OPT key. Not quite sure how to do this though, but be careful when you nvedit.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #574 on: May 12, 2018, 04:18:36 AM »
As to the startup disk:

We do not yet have an NVRam driver for OS 9, so OS 9 can't set the startup disk, OS X will refuse to select OS 9 as a startup disk on an unsupported system. However you can set OS 9 as a startup disk from the terminal, something like:

Code: [Select]
sudo bless /path/to/OS 9/System Folder/ -setboot
Once you have OS 9 set in the NVram, then you'll just have to option boot to select OS X. If you have both OS 9 and OS X installed on the same partition, then you will only see the folder that is blessed when you option boot, and that can be problematic.

I recommend avoiding installing 9 and X on the same partition.

Online RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #575 on: May 12, 2018, 04:23:28 AM »
Would:
Code: [Select]
nvedit
multi-boot

(Press Ctrl + C)

nvstore
setenv use-nvramrc? true
reset-all

Make it so you see the startup disk (OPTION key) screen every time you turn on/restart the computer?

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #576 on: May 12, 2018, 05:32:41 AM »
Here are some shots of my system.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/94839221@N05/albums/72157666841174377

Panther is always bootet. If I want OS9 I'll have to hold the Option-Key and WAIT.
As you described above, neither OS9 can change the bootup-partition nor OSX.

MorphOS installer sees crap-partition-table and perhaps destroys it if I correct the wrong ending-sektors

Greetings
Doc

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #577 on: May 12, 2018, 08:16:55 AM »
If I want to change the partition table that was created with OS9
I think I have to boot the v6-CD again, but that leads to a black desktop after a while ... :(
Booting OS9 of the HDD is fine though.

Any idea why ?

Online RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #578 on: May 12, 2018, 08:40:27 AM »
Do you see the desktop at all from the CD?

Offline drzeissler

• Enthusiast Member
« Reply #579 on: May 12, 2018, 08:48:40 AM »
Yes I see it about 10-20 seconds, then it gets all black and stays black.