Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 538077 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)
« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2018, 03:55:14 PM »
uh, last time i used an external DVD drive, this time the mini drive, pretty slow :)

proposals for the future:

- remove registration, welcome video, and setup assistant

- remove IE and add "our" classilla

- add "our" torrent client

- merge the applications folder from the CD into the applications (OS9) folder and include it in the ASR installation. (system profiler is for sure more of use than graphing calculator. btw some of these apps are present twice, in both folders. yes, i know that some of them go into the apple menu, but i think apple was wrong here :) )

- already have usb overdrive, joliet access and eventually a VNC server installed, of course as opt-in, under (disabled)

- maybe i am going too far... but what about quicktime pro?

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2018, 05:09:23 PM »
I think every extra that doesn't come with a stock Mac OS 9.2.2 should be in the CD Extras folder, and leave everything else stock in place, as it is right now. Even the relatively-useless stuff like IE 5. The user can then make the choices. I find this important so the OS 9 releases remain "clean", and draw a line between what is stock and what is not. :) I personally am fine eitherway, but generally-speaking, others may look at the release with skepticism the more different the installed OS is from what they would expect from a fresh, "true" OS 9 install. Well, just my 2 cents, of course.

I also totally agree with MacTorrent appearing in the CD Extras folder, what a great, nice piece of software that is. :)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #462 on: April 13, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
I can add in the MacTorrent to CD Extras, which currently contains Classilla 9.3.3, USB Overdrive, Bugdom (Shareware) and Multiprocessing folder. I think I can fit about an extra 130MB before the image becomes full, which I set to 670MB or something like that. You can skip welcome video & registration with command+q. I'll always keep the System you restore just like a standard install from Apple, yep CD Extras folder is where I'll keep the optional stuff.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:53:49 PM by RossDarker »

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #463 on: April 13, 2018, 06:07:41 PM »
you´re probably right

Offline solderwire

• Mac mini G4 and iBook G3 (Dual USB)
« Reply #464 on: April 14, 2018, 10:45:03 AM »
Thanks for the amazing work ;)
Is it possible to port non-English version of Mac OS 9.2.2 to Mac mini G4? My language is not English so I would be appreciated if I can get OS 9 running on my mini G4.
Mac mini G4 and iBook G3 (Dual USB)

macStuff

« Reply #465 on: April 14, 2018, 11:00:33 AM »
Is it possible to port non-English version of Mac OS 9.2.2 to Mac mini G4? My language is not English so I would be appreciated if I can get OS 9 running on my mini G4.

you might want to tell them what language it is that you are interested in

Offline solderwire

« Reply #466 on: April 14, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »

you might want to tell them what language it is that you are interested in
Simplified Chinese. The only downloadable 9.2.2 in Simplified Chinese is a ISO labeled "Power Mac G4 install" with ROM 9.0.1. I got it working on my friend's 1GHz TiBook by replacing ROM and graphics drivers. He said I may need to modify the System Suitcase to get it running on Mac mini G4.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #467 on: April 14, 2018, 02:34:25 PM »

1. do the install of the mini CD as described in the textfile

2. after you booted into OS9 from HD, exchange everything in the systemfolder except ROM, suitcase and graphics drivers with your chinese/french/german stuff

macStuff

« Reply #468 on: April 14, 2018, 02:55:33 PM »
solderwire:
you may have to wait till someone has the time to accomplish the task
but im fairly certain that they will probably accomodate your need for a chinese install iso disk.
to make it possible for all chinese users to use this mac in this way!
theres many billions of people on the planet who speak this language so its definately not a waste of time logically speaking

considering this thread has 25,000 views people are interested
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 04:11:03 PM by macStuff »

macStuff

« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
has the 1.5ghz mac mini g4 been overclocked by anyone yet?

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #470 on: April 14, 2018, 10:43:04 PM »
Hi solderwire,

Your problem is the reason that I was initially reluctant to build Mac OS ROM files with a resource fork. The System Enabler parts are localised.

But this can be fixed with a bit of ResEdit action. I expect that your Mac OS ROM is of a late enough version. Use ResEdit to delete all the resources *except the cfrg resource* from my latest Mac OS ROM file. Then paste in all the resources from your Simplified Chinese Mac OS ROM file. This ROM file should be all that you need to get a Simplified Chinese 9.2.2 booting on the mini, although I suggest that you also use darthnVader’s graphics drivers!

Offline solderwire

« Reply #471 on: April 14, 2018, 11:16:01 PM »
Hi solderwire,

Your problem is the reason that I was initially reluctant to build Mac OS ROM files with a resource fork. The System Enabler parts are localised.

But this can be fixed with a bit of ResEdit action. I expect that your Mac OS ROM is of a late enough version. Use ResEdit to delete all the resources *except the cfrg resource* from my latest Mac OS ROM file. Then paste in all the resources from your Simplified Chinese Mac OS ROM file. This ROM file should be all that you need to get a Simplified Chinese 9.2.2 booting on the mini, although I suggest that you also use darthnVader’s graphics drivers!
Thanks for your reply. Can I use the System suitcase that comes from the PM G4 Install CD? There are too many strings to translate in the English System Suitcase!

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #472 on: April 15, 2018, 06:04:22 AM »
Thanks for your reply. Can I use the System suitcase that comes from the PM G4 Install CD? There are too many strings to translate in the English System Suitcase!

You bet!

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #473 on: April 15, 2018, 06:08:28 AM »
Based on a superficial comparison of two MacsBug StdLogs, I suspect that disabling the "Application Switcher" extension fixes the frozen-mouse problem.

Could I please have some testers?

Also, whenever anyone next encounters the problem, would you please post an StdLog of the boot that exhibits the problem, followed by an StdLog from a subsequent problem-free boot?

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #474 on: April 15, 2018, 09:17:45 AM »
Would you still need resource ID 3 from Boot resource in a ROM to go into the suitcase.

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #475 on: April 15, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
No. That nasty patched boot 3 resource hasn't been needed for weeks! Trash it.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #476 on: April 16, 2018, 09:45:55 AM »
That's cool, I'll stop using that in future CD's.

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2018, 11:08:54 PM »
I'm using the latest ROM now with no new issues appearing.  I have something else to discuss, but it will have to wait for the afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:25:58 PM by MacOS Plus »

Offline DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #478 on: April 19, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »
I have something else to discuss, but it will have to wait for the afternoon.

Oh sure, tease us and not tell us, OK, my mini will stay off in protest until you spill the beans

macStuff

« Reply #479 on: April 19, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
stop trying to make us non-mini owners jealous