Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 537759 times)

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Booting Mac Os 9 on Mac Mini.
« Reply #320 on: March 18, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »

The attached ROM contains the following NanoKernel hacks, specific to the 7447a:
  • Return an error for all calls to the CPU plugin's buggy core temperature getter
  • Enable CPU idling (previously the only G4s that could do this were the 7400/7410) -- this might be buggy?

I've tested this ROM it on the eMac ([email protected]) with the CPU plugins installed, and the system don't hung at startup as usually but the the system don't go to sleep and a dialog box appears saying that part of the system software is missing... so it seems that this ROM prevent the CPU plugins to load ... (at least on the eMac)
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #321 on: March 19, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »
The ROMs that I’ve been posting here are only for the Mac mini. Many of the hacks will cause problems on other machines. I’d be very happy to help you build your own NewWorld ROMs. Unless you want to play with the 3 and 4 MB layers, all the binaries in the repo are pre-built. You only need to edit one text file to enable some boot-script-based hacks, and I’ve commented that file pretty thoroughly.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #322 on: March 20, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
The ROMs that I’ve been posting here are only for the Mac mini. Many of the hacks will cause problems on other machines.
OK I understand :)

but now the eMac goes to sleep well with your ROM for the Mac mini :)
but it doesn't wake up  ;D ;D ;D

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #323 on: March 20, 2018, 05:05:42 PM »
The ROMs that I’ve been posting here are only for the Mac mini. Many of the hacks will cause problems on other machines.
OK I understand :)

but now the eMac goes to sleep well with your ROM for the Mac mini :)
but it doesn't wake up  ;D ;D ;D

Do you have it set to sleep via the power button?

See if that will sleep/wake it, otherwise it's likely not really entering sleep, thus it can't wake.

Does the eMac have a power light, does it glow when you enter sleep?

The issue may have something to do with the USB2 pci device, or the 5v? trickle voltage to USB.

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #324 on: March 21, 2018, 02:21:20 PM »

See if that will sleep/wake it, otherwise it's likely not really entering sleep, thus it can't wake.

The issue may have something to do with the USB2 pci device, or the 5v? trickle voltage to USB.

I put it in to sleep using the sleep menu in the main menu bar. In further testings seems that the only thing that goes to sleep is the eMac screen. But sorry for the OffTopic this is not place to discuss eMac isues ...

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #325 on: March 21, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »

I put it in to sleep using the sleep menu in the main menu bar. In further testings seems that the only thing that goes to sleep is the eMac screen. But sorry for the OffTopic this is not place to discuss eMac isues ...

It was worth hearing that, because the behavior with that ROM is the same on the Mini.

Online DieHard

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #326 on: March 22, 2018, 08:52:52 AM »
(2) Mac Minis on the way,

(1) 1.25 & (1) 1.33 w/power supplies, combined price for both with shipping $76...lol

So... is the latest ROM attached the one to use ?

This is gonna be fun, I might transfer a bunch of stuff, so I have a "quieter" OS 9 unit

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #327 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »

Not too far off topic though.
I thought I saw someone say something about the G4 Cube or something (or maybe a powerbook) being closest to the mini architecture wise.  If you dig through Apple documentation on the mini and other machines, the closest one too it is an eMac.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or break it so you can fix it!

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #328 on: March 22, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
... If you dig through Apple documentation on the mini and other machines, the closest one too it is an eMac.
You're right,
This is the block diagram of the Mac Mini:

Most of this unsupported G4s are based 7447A and Intrepid controller.

This is the block diagram of the eMac:

This is the block diagram of the iBook:

But in the other side the Cube is more similar to a G4 Sawtooth:

All this basic Apple Hardware info can be found here:

http://mirror.informatimago.com/next/developer.apple.com/documentation/Hardware/hardware2.html
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:09:15 PM by MacTron »

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #329 on: March 22, 2018, 07:35:22 PM »
Very persuasive. Maybe I should broaden my efforts to understanding the Intrepid architecture better. Is any officially supported machine based on Intrepid?

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #330 on: March 22, 2018, 08:22:32 PM »
  That's really neat how the Mini and eMac are laid out almost exactly the same.  For some reason I never knew AirPort Extreme was a form of PCI device - perhaps I should try to graft a real PCI slot on to that?  Is there any pinout documented for that AirPort Extreme connector type?

The Mini is only akin to the Cube in the sense of cosmetic form factor and the associated marketing take and target end user.  Some might consider it a 'romantic notion' perhaps, but overall the Mini is vitually identical in general features to the Cube, with the exception that the AGP video is integrated.  When it comes to the true internal architecture though, you're right, it's most like an eMac from a logic and layout standpoint.  That's more a generational thing though.

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #331 on: March 22, 2018, 09:34:34 PM »
A thought just occurred to me. I have been distributing ROMs with the "System Enabler" part cut out. Later versions of the Enabler contain an "NQDResidentCursor" fragment, which seems to enable a hardware cursor. Maybe reinstating the Enabler will fix our occasional cursor problem.

Offline ELN

• Gold Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #332 on: March 23, 2018, 02:14:28 AM »
In fact, I can confirm that this is our problem. My MDD G4 just exhibited the same issue after booting from a ROM with everything present except for the Enabler!

Please bear with me while I rejig my build system to account for this.

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #333 on: March 23, 2018, 06:22:16 AM »
Very persuasive. Maybe I should broaden my efforts to understanding the Intrepid architecture better. Is any officially supported machine based on Intrepid?
I thought I had mentioned this somewhere here before.

Intrepid appeard (based on the apple hardware docs and the source for OS X) to contain both uninorth and keylargo.  The thing is when they are rolled up into one things do change due to being able to more tightly couple some functions.  Also changes were probably made to the keylargo portion to better support the layout and design of these G4 machines.  Communication out of and into Intrepid is probably routed differently.  It may function at a very low basic level, but as OS 9 boots it will try to enable the full feature set, but fail as it won't be able to properly communicate with the hardware pieces, specificly in the PMU.

OS X code for these chips is interesting.  The instruction out of keylargo and intrepid to the various parts are the same, but they go out on different memory addresses.  Since OS X doesn't actually rely as heavily on OF to initialize hardware, a lot of the OS X only machines may leave some of the required information out of the device configuration and thus out of the device tree.

Just my rough knowledge from my research.

Edited to add the following:
The chips external intrepid, if you dig deap into documentation, had the most commonality between the mini and the emac.  This is not shown by simply looking at the block diagram.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 07:21:04 AM by nanopico »

Offline nanopico

• Platinum Member
« Reply #334 on: March 23, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »
Now my curiosity got the best of me so I had to go look stuff up.
Intrepid has an extra usb port vs the older keylargo. 
There is an extra register for it.  To put the system to sleep, all three need to be suspended/set to sleep. Before the system sleeps it polls the USB controller to make sure it can sleep.
So OS 9 probablly doesn't know to put the thrid port/bus to sleep so the controller reports not ready so the system can't sleep or stuff properly.

Code: [Select]
   // USB for KeyLargo requires the FCR4 bits before any of the other registers are
    // touched. Since FCR4 is ALL USB, then I moved it to the top of the programming list
// USB for Intrepid also supports a third bus that uses FCR3

Not that this is proof, but it's an interesting comment from  the Keylargo code in the turnOffUSB method.

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #335 on: March 23, 2018, 08:07:16 PM »
I just wanted to take a second to chime in and say how you guys (all of you) are amazing for reaching this far, and committing to this so competently and consistently. Admirable.

Sorry I couldn't join the testers: I'm still waiting for the Firewire 400 card I ordered in January for my G3 Wallstreet (shipping anything overseas sucks in Brazil). Nonetheless, if anything isn't yet 100% functional by the time it arrives, it'd be an honor to join the cause. We will see...

Anyway, things are looking good for 7447a! At work, I eagerly lurk on this thread whenever I get the chance... :)

Offline Jubadub

• Gold Member
« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2018, 08:37:36 PM »
2. Remove the "Multiprocessing" folder from the System folder.  I did this as a precaution, perhaps not a necessity, but obviously you're not going to need it on this machine.  There's no sense chasing ghosts if you have a problem because of it.
(Bold emphasis mine.)

Actually, according to an Apple Note I read, it seems this may be not as obvious as one would normally (and understandably) speculate: https://web.archive.org/web/20020820202755/http://docs.info.apple.com:80/article.html?artnum=25048
Basically, according to this, even a single core single processor Mac is better off with it left intact. Interesting.

But hey, you guys mentioned waking from sleep problems, right? I know you all came to very good leads as to why that is happening, but could it be the last bit of that link I put also be related to it? I highlighted it in bold below:

"The files in this folder do not occupy any significant RAM or hard disk space, so you will not benefit by removing it. Although your Macintosh may have a single processor, we strongly discourage removing the Multiprocessing folder. Applications which are multiprocessor-aware rely on the software in this folder and may crash if it is not present. Also, some recent Macintosh models may not wake from sleep if this folder is removed."

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #337 on: March 24, 2018, 11:13:19 AM »
...Is any officially supported machine based on Intrepid?
None.  :o

Intrepid was introduced into 2004 machines ... So... why Mac Os 9 works perfectly (in some machines) with it?

This may be the reason:
Intrepid appeard (based on the apple hardware docs and the source for OS X) to contain both uninorth and keylargo.  The thing is when they are rolled up into one things do change due to being able to more tightly couple some functions.  Also changes were probably made to the keylargo portion to better support the layout and design of these G4 machines.  Communication out of and into Intrepid is probably routed differently.  It may function at a very low basic level, but as OS 9 boots it will try to enable the full feature set, but fail as it won't be able to properly communicate with the hardware pieces, specificly in the PMU.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »
Things seem to be going well for the Mac mini, so I have made this Disk Image that you can burn to a CD.

Boot the Mac mini off this CD once you have burned this disk image, and you can setup your drive and install Mac OS 9.2.2 onto the Mac mini, from the CD.

When new ROMs are out and stuff and things need changing, it should not be too hard to change this disk image, because I have kept the read/write base system (uncompressed). The image inside of this disk image is a compressed version of that read/write one, so it becomes read only, and it fits on the disc.

Here is the bootable toast file. I burned it from High Sierra on a Mac Pro and I used it to install perfectly on my Mac mini G4 (1.42).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zxHj55T83Wn9US-9RAQPga_XAOj37UCn/view?usp=sharing

Click "Download Anyway" after you have clicked Download.

Tell me if that is a public link, and if you try this let me know if it worked or not.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:07:24 PM by RossDarker »

Offline Daniel

• Gold Member
  • Programmer, Hacker, Thinker
« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2018, 01:31:57 PM »
Things seem to be going well for the Mac mini, so I have made this Disk Image that you can burn to a CD.

Boot the Mac mini off this CD once you have burned this disk image, and you can setup your drive and install Mac OS 9.2.2 onto the Mac mini, from the CD.

When new ROMs are out and stuff and things need changing, it should not be too hard to change this disk image, because I have kept the read/write base system (uncompressed). The image inside of this disk image is a compressed version of that read/write one, so it becomes read only, and it fits on the disc.

Here is the bootable toast file. I burned it from High Sierra on a Mac Pro and I used it to install perfectly on my Mac mini G4 (1.42).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zxHj55T83Wn9US-9RAQPga_XAOj37UCn/view?usp=sharing

Click "Download Anyway" after you have clicked Download.

Tell me if that is a public link, and if you try this let me know if it worked or not.
I was able to start downloading it, so I think it is public (I stopped downloading right after I started because I don't actually have a Mac Mini).