Author Topic: Mac OS 9 booting on: Mac mini G4 (Detailed Posts)  (Read 536939 times)

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
Re: Booting Mac Os 9 on Mac Mini.
« Reply #180 on: February 14, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »
So as I said I have been using Qemu to install OS9 (and modify the install) onto img files then restore them to the Mac mini's internal hard drive. I have copied the boot resource with ID 3 over to both the "Classic" and "System" files inside of the System Folder but keep getting address errors when I boot. I then edited it on a Tiger drive through Classic Environment. I am using another System Folder on the Tiger HD, to edit the one on the internal HD. This is what the Classic and System suitcase look like after I have edited them:
https://imgur.com/i23fDMW
What else would need changing to get past the address error?

I'm not sure what's going wrong, you may be using the wrong Mac OS ROM file, ELN linked a few. The last one in post #169 should allow boot, but it's not a valid :tbxi when I download it.

Try and find the last one he posted before that, other than that, sorry I can't be more helpful, I don't have a G4 Mini to play along with, only a PowerBook6,8.

I tried the latest ROM a few days ago, but like you said about the tbxi, when I typed
Code: [Select]
boot hd:,\\:tbxi after all the other commands, it didn't want to boot like that.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #181 on: February 14, 2018, 06:38:57 AM »
And I forgot to mention, I am using the ROM file that was inside a .bin, which is the one I think before the latest.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2018, 07:09:08 AM »
And I forgot to mention, I am using the ROM file that was inside a .bin, which is the one I think before the latest.

I think you have the correct one, the one from post 143?

I was able to get to the desktop on my PowerBook6,8 with that one, but the finder never started, tho the system stayed running.

One the Mac mini it should get you to the desktop, but the system won't be usable at all, as there is no USB.

Make sure you are booting with no extensions in the extension folder.

I think we're all in the same boat here, waiting on a valid :tbxi before we can do much else.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2018, 07:13:00 AM »

I think you have the correct one, the one from post 143?

I was able to get to the desktop on my PowerBook6,8 with that one, but the finder never started, tho the system stayed running.

One the Mac mini it should get you to the desktop, but the system won't be usable at all, as there is no USB.

Make sure you are booting with no extensions in the extension folder.

I think we're all in the same boat here, waiting on a valid :tbxi before we can do much else.

Yes I am using the ROM from post 143, and this is the one I get the address error with, so might just have to wait for a bit, but you see I have done the same things as ry755 has done, and he managed to get to the desktop, so I must have gone wrong somewhere, not sure where though.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
I have put all the Extensions into the Extensions (Disabled) folder. Though before I get the bomb, 1 icon is shown in the bottom left.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »
This has probably nothing to do with it but I noticed that in the ROM from post 143, in the Boot Script, MacRISC2 was spelt MacRiSC2, with that lower-case i

Could that change anything if it was a capital?

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2018, 08:37:58 AM »
I have put all the Extensions into the Extensions (Disabled) folder. Though before I get the bomb, 1 icon is shown in the bottom left.

You shouldn't see any icons.

Even if you boot with the shift key, there are some extension that will load before.....

See if you can hold the space bar and get into the extension manager before you get the bomb.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2018, 08:47:09 AM »

Even if you boot with the shift key, there are some extension that will load before.....

See if you can hold the space bar and get into the extension manager before you get the bomb.

I cannot get into the extensions manager or extensions off with shift key, but my extensions folder is empty.
This is the 1 and only icon I see in bottom left: https://imgur.com/HyD1zym

Offline MacOS Plus

• Gold Member
  • The 9serve Lives!
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »

I cannot get into the extensions manager or extensions off with shift key, but my extensions folder is empty.

That's the PC File Exchange extension.  The file may be partially damaged, rendering it invisible in the Finder.  I've seen this happen before.  If that were the case, unless you can use a disk repair program on another machine your next best option would be to remove the existing Extensions folder entirely from the System Folder and create a new Extensions folder that you know will be completely empty.  The extension you're seeing is entirely optional to have present - if you don't need PC partition access on that machine then you don't need the extension at all.  Even if it's not damaged I don't think you have any other recourse at the moment.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2018, 10:47:09 AM »

That's the PC File Exchange extension.  The file may be partially damaged, rendering it invisible in the Finder.  I've seen this happen before.  If that were the case, unless you can use a disk repair program on another machine your next best option would be to remove the existing Extensions folder entirely from the System Folder and create a new Extensions folder that you know will be completely empty.  The extension you're seeing is entirely optional to have present - if you don't need PC partition access on that machine then you don't need the extension at all.  Even if it's not damaged I don't think you have any other recourse at the moment.

In the Control Panels folder there was something called File Exchange, that had the same icon as the one I showed you. I deleted it and rebooted, the icon did not show but I still got an address error Bomb. The boot resource ID 3 is still in the System Suitcase.
https://imgur.com/W68BizS

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »
We know you're using the right Rom, so something must be wrong with the System suitcase.

You may want to try:

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2018, 12:08:51 PM »
We know you're using the right Rom, so something must be wrong with the System suitcase.

You may want to try:

Unfortunately, that new Suitcase didn't seem to change anything, still got a bomb, if I was to restore an entire Generic 9.2.1 CD to the HD, and update the ROM and Suitcase, that could work so I will try that, unless you can think of why else this is happening.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2018, 12:51:29 PM »

You may want to try:

Unfortunately, that new Suitcase didn't seem to change anything, still got a bomb, if I was to restore an entire Generic 9.2.1 CD to the HD, and update the ROM and Suitcase, that could work so I will try that, unless you can think of why else this is happening.

The CD restore was not recognised and a restore from a clean generic install with updated Mac OS ROM and System Suitcase did the same as the Unsupported G4's install, with updated ROM and Suitcase. Not sure what's gone wrong.

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2018, 02:25:25 PM »

You may want to try:

The CD restore was not recognised and a restore from a clean generic install with updated Mac OS ROM and System Suitcase did the same as the Unsupported G4's install, with updated ROM and Suitcase. Not sure what's gone wrong.

What Mini do you have?

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »

You may want to try:

What Mini do you have?

A1103
PowerMac10,1
1.42GHz
256 MB RAM (thats what it says on the box but when I got off ebay it had 512MB)
80GB ATA Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 9200 graphics
56K Modem
Slot loading Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
One FW400 port
2 USB 2.0 Ports
No AirPort/Bluetooth installed
Preinstalled OS 10.3.7

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2018, 03:40:03 AM »
Do I need to use any other commands, these are currently what I am using:
dev /
 " MacRISC" encode-string " MacRISC2" encode-string encode+ " Power Macintosh" encode-string encode+ " compatible" property
dev /
1303ffff encode-int " AAPL,debug" property
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4
80010201 encode-int " cpu-version" property
boot hd:,\\:tbxi

Offline darthnVader

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2018, 04:51:55 AM »
dev /
 " MacRISC" encode-string " MacRISC2" encode-string encode+ " Power Macintosh" encode-string encode+ " compatible" property
dev /
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4

The Rom you have should really only need the AAPL,debug property set, it's already hacked to include RISC3 and the 7447a cpu.

One thing you may try is a System Folder with only the Mac OS ROM/ Finder/ System( suitcase ).

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2018, 05:10:57 AM »
dev /
dev /
dev /cpus/PowerPC,G4

The Rom you have should really only need the AAPL,debug property set, it's already hacked to include RISC3 and the 7447a cpu.

One thing you may try is a System Folder with only the Mac OS ROM/ Finder/ System( suitcase ).

What I did now was take everything out of the root, just keep System Folder, put ROM, System (Updated Versions) in and the Finder from a Generic install CD and now I am finally at the desktop, thanks. Also the clock in the top right is still changing every minute.
https://imgur.com/fAmjL6x

It seems that I have to keep deleting everything for it to boot so I will start slimming it down until I can find which folder is causing the problem.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:24:57 AM by RossDarker »

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2018, 05:47:16 AM »
I have found that deleting "System Resources" in the System Folder will get me past the address error. It is remade every time the OS 9 is booted and so needs deleting every time for me.

Offline RossDarker

• Gold Member
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2018, 08:28:05 AM »
Right now I am going through every extension to see which ones will still allow me to boot to the desktop, and strangely I was a bit though all of the extensions when I added the Audio Extension - when I booted into OS 9, the light on my mouse lit up and I could move the mouse around, but this was still on the Mac OS 9.2 loading screen, and the loading bar did not progress any more than half way. Took the extension out again, booted to the desktop but no USB.