Author Topic: My G4 won't initialize the new SSD - please help!  (Read 34450 times)

Offline twokayprod

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
Re: My G4 won't initialize the new SSD - please help!
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2015, 10:03:27 AM »
Yeah, the cable is one last thing I can try. I'll try the General Image as well, but I seriously doubt it'll work. I'm away for the weekend, will try and let you know on monday.
I found a source for OWC SSDs over here, so I guess I'll get one of those...

supernova777

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 10:04:21 AM »
Maybe there is something in this new Samsung’s new 850 EVO SSD model that make it incompatible with our old systems:

"... Samsung’s new 850 EVO SSD product line is powered by the company’s new MGX controller, The defining element of the 850 EVO is its three-dimensional flash that host three bits per cell.
The 850 EVO's 256-bit AES encryption is compliant with the TCG Opal 2.0 and IEEE 1667 standards, meeting the requirements for Microsoft's eDrive system..."

i think this drives internal controller must be incompatible with SATA150 spec

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/ssd850evo/specifications.html
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/whitepaper/whitepaper02.html

why dont u just get a 840 by samsung? mactron has one i think and he knows it works
but.. he has a different sata card then you.. which uses a different chip controller (either thris one http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1ve2plus2/ or this one http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-1v4/)

also please keep in mind there is also the possibility that your SATA card is defective.. doubtfull but it is a logical possibility untill u test it to prove otherwise!

Offline twokayprod

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 06:43:11 AM »
I couldn't find any differences in the specs of the 850 and 840 - maybe I didn't look closely enough. But the 850 is downwards compatible with SATA II and SATA, so this shouldn't be a problem...
Anyway, the 840 is more expensive than the 850 and just 8 bucks away from the OWC Mercury Electra 3G, so I'll get the latter. I already found a different use for the Samsung.
At least we found a combination of SSD and SATA card that doesn't work, so others don't fall into the same trap. I have no way to check the Sonnet card in another machine and it will be a few days before I can check a different cable - this easter weekend threw my whole timetable overboard. But I don't think it's the card or the cable. Once I get the OWC we'll know for sure.

Offline twokayprod

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
 -afro-
Alright!! It took a while, but I finally got the OWC Mercury 3G 120GB SSD. Just put it in the machine, started it up and used Drive Setup to partition the thing. Then I simply copied all the files/folders from my recently done clean installation of the OS9 I downloaded from right here aaaaaaand.......tadaa! Works like a charm  :D

So there really was a communication problem between the Samsung Evo 850 and the Sonnet TSATA. With the OWC, everything was done in about 5 minutes. And I got it for 80 bucks from Amazon.de, even cheaper than the Samsung 840 would have been.

Good times  :)
Thanx again for your help, guys!

p.s. By the way, how cool is it that with OS9 one can just copy the system stuff and get another startup drive? I know, this is old news, but it still ROCKS!! I put a new HDD in the G4 recently and installed the latest OS9, so my old HDD is just for backup now. Then I installed Cubase and a bunch of plugins, as well as the MOTU drivers needed for my interfaces. And now, all I had to do was to drag all that over to the SSD. AWESOME!! AAAAAAAWESOME!!  8) 8) 8)

supernova777

« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
it can be a bitch to figure out what the cause of problems are..
process of elimination.. but when thats all sorted +D one.. and the computer works well.. mac os 9 is pretty rock solid ;D  8)

just yesterday i went thru about 30 boot ups to figure out that a few hard drives were bad and once they are out of the config, everythings working like a champ... what really screws u up is when u think something is compatible and it is in fact, not. but u try like hell to make it work before finally giving up.. i had the same problem with this stupid radeon 7000 pci card yesterday..
of course using the same card in os 9.0+ & 10.x works fine,everytime, on the same hardware. 

anyways.. moving forward.. on to bigger + better things.. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 02:15:42 PM by chrisNova777 »

Offline twokayprod

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2015, 07:00:23 AM »
Hi guys,

I didn't want to open a new thread, because this seems to be related.
Since I'm using the SSD as system drive, most of the times when I startup the G4, I get the "Your computer wasn't turned off properly"-screen  :o
What's the deal with that? Any ideas? Is this a problem or should I just ignore it?

Thanx