Author Topic: MDD unexpected shut down  (Read 4974 times)

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
MDD unexpected shut down
« on: March 09, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
I have a strange issue. My MDD wont react on power button, I unplug powercord and put it back. It works, then shutting itself down.
Then I start it up again, resetting PRAM and it works as it should. Anyone experienced the same thig? ANy ideas?

Offline Jakl

• Gold Member
Re: MDD unexpected shut down
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 10:16:03 PM »
Sometimes these funny behaviours can be overcome
with a PMU reset. Follow instructions below.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht1939

The MDD has the reset button on the inside of the
side door.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 10:54:09 PM »
I've had that issue 2 or 3 times. It's the power supply. The bad news is I've never been able to find what is probably a simple fix for it and I've always just replaced the darn things. The good news is that it won't hurt anything and you can continue using it the way you are as long as necessary until you find a cheap working MDD on Craigslist or somewhere that you can scavenge another PSU from. (Plus, you get to keep whatever other working parts are there for spares)

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 01:06:32 AM »
Thanx for replies. KUDO thing i did first off all, it's not a solution. More realistic looks a PSU thing. Maybe bad capacitors.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:20 AM »
+1 for power supply.

insert arbitrary signature here

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:52:10 AM »
I was having a somewhat similar issue... Shortly after startup, it would unexpectedly shut down. Had to restart from the button on the tower (wouldn't work from keyboard)... then it would work fine. This problem started occurring fairly regularly. Wound up doing a fresh 9.2.2 install and it hasn't happened since(or yet at least! ;D).

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 08:56:38 AM »
I have a strange issue. My MDD wont react on power button, I unplug powercord and put it back. It works, then shutting itself down.
Then I start it up again, resetting PRAM and it works as it should. Anyone experienced the same thig? ANy ideas?

I had that kind of troubles with a broken usb pci card.

Also with a digi 001 that only works with the pci on the MDD. With the rack and cable connected it refused to work.

Check the 3.6 volts battery.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline Andre Solomko

• Enthusiast Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »
Yes, I suspected DIGI001 also to be a part of this plot. But it's installed quite for a while, and problem started recently.
I checked battery it shows 3,6vdc, but anyway still can be a problem With PSU  there is one thing: if it would be just a PSU
then system should be unstable all the time. As a matter of fact, it runs hours after hard reboot. Strangely that to stat a comp. i have to take away a power cord,
because after shootdown power button dont work. After removal of power cord, it works again