Author Topic: Deluxe Music Construction Set 2.5  (Read 13617 times)

Offline ronsonjonson

• new to the forums
Deluxe Music Construction Set 2.5
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
Hi everyone
My copy of DMCS from ca 1988 opens in Sheepshaver and appears to behave normally, but when I attempt to open a score that I really want to try to recover (there's just one) I get a big crash (my guess is that it has something to do with sound--but I'm baffled). Does anyone have a working copy of DMCS, or would anyone be willing to convert the score to a midi file for me?
Thanks!

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Deluxe Music Construction Set 2.5
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:03:17 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluxe_Music_Construction_Set

It is from 1986, not 1996

I remember the Amiga version.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/will-harveys-music-construction-set

That one is the precursor. Apple II, Apple IIgs, Atari 8-bit, Atari ST, Commodore 64, PC Booter...

We can't find http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/deluxe-music-construction-set-25 a download for that, so if you want us to try in OS9 native vs Sheepshaver, attach the DMCS and the score file.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
.... but when I attempt to open a score that I really want to try to recover (there's just one) I get a big crash (my guess is that it has something to do with sound--but I'm baffled). ...

I'm afraid that this will be happen in a real Mac also. Unless you use a real old Mac like a 68k with System 6 or 7 ...
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline ronsonjonson

• new to the forums
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 01:56:02 PM »
Ah, that's too bad--but I guess it was a bit of a long shot. I remember that I used it with my Mac SE, so I guess that would have been OS 6 or so...
Thanks anyhow.

Offline ronsonjonson

• new to the forums
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 04:41:23 AM »
This is pretty wild, but I got OS 6 running using MinivMac, made a new HFS disk image with DMCS and my docs on it....AND IT WORKS!!!! Thanks for the tip about non-compatibility with OS9--that was the clue I needed to properly remember what the operating system was back then. Now for the excitement of trying to export something...

Offline ronsonjonson

• new to the forums
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:19 AM »
By the way, if anyone ever decides to walk down this strange road, I discovered, after all this effort, that Studio Vision from Opcode (which I've got running in SheepShavered OS9) opens DMCS 2.5 files perfectly! That would have been much easier....

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 09:12:42 AM »
Ok, Thank You for the info :)
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »
how are  u running opcode on sheepshaver ?

theres no midi communication on sheepshaver..
its incapable of communicating to usb or serial midi devices is what i was told

Offline ronsonjonson

• new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
I've just exported SMF (standard midi files) for use in Logic--no attempt to get actual communications out!

supernova777

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:30 PM »
I've just exported SMF (standard midi files) for use in Logic--no attempt to get actual communications out!

u might aswell not even try because ive read its quite impossible.. this info came direct from the creator of the sheepshaver app himself.

Offline nsputnik

• Valued Member
    • website
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:58:25 PM »
This is pretty wild, but I got OS 6 running using MinivMac, made a new HFS disk image with DMCS and my docs on it....AND IT WORKS!!!! Thanks for the tip about non-compatibility with OS9--that was the clue I needed to properly remember what the operating system was back then. Now for the excitement of trying to export something...

Hi Ron.  Would you be able to take a look at the creator and file type of the DMCS score files and report them here?  It would be much appreciated.
Classic as my primary platform: 1988 - 2005

Offline jdachs

• Newcomer
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 06:16:04 AM »
Hi, I have been struggling to recover some DMCS 2.5 files and turn them into editable notation in Overture or even Finale. I have managed to get DMCS running in an emulator, and noticed that nsputnik was wondering what the file Type and Creator codes are for DMCS files. They are:

Type - USC2
Creator - UHRU
and if you are working in ResEdit to recover old files, makesure Inited is also checked.

Offline nsputnik

• Valued Member
    • website
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2021, 03:44:25 PM »
EZ Vision can open and export DMCS files.  If you can't get EZ Vision running and need some files converted, hit me up.
Classic as my primary platform: 1988 - 2005