Author Topic: Making Desktop icons larger  (Read 4945 times)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
Making Desktop icons larger
« on: February 23, 2015, 11:49:23 PM »
Maybe it is because I am approaching 50 much too fast, maybe it is because my eyesight needs stronger correction every year, or maybe because my 23" Cinema display is displaying the Desktop at 1920 x 1200.

In any case, is there any way to make the Desktop icons larger? I mean, they are really small. I did the whole Finder preference for large icons (it made little to no difference). I know in OS X I can make them absolutely huge, but I am not going down Steve's Unix lane.

Any ideas how this can be done? ResEdit hacks (if so, be specific as I know little to nothing with ResEdit) or 3rd party apps?  I mean, this is small for my 47 year old eyes.

Mac OS 9.2.2  ROM 10.2.1 (generic)
G4 1.25 Dual MDD FW 800
2GB RAM.
15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
Re: Making Desktop icons larger
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:13 AM »

it seems impossible unless you want to write your own finder extensions.

is it really the icons you have problems with? (you know that you can make the text bigger, when you wish, dont you?)

p.s. i actually wish they would be smaller!
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 12:35:38 AM »
Yeah, I know I can make the text larger though the Appearance Control Panel, but I want to make the icons larger. I mean I can see them and all, but the look so strange when A-Dock is so much larger.

I wouldn't have a clue how to write a new Finder extension/preferece. I am more a tinkerer than a writer anyway.

15 Macs (13 of them ranging from an SE to a MDD), 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Hackintosh. Small house getting smaller with each Mac. . . . .  .Husband shakes his head but supports my habit.

Offline GaryN

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »
You don't know Resedit but you managed to do the hack to get your FW800 to boot 9.2.2? Please 'splain Lucy… LOL I too suffer the woe of small icons when using the magic Cinema Display so I sympathize. There probably is no reasonable way to generally make those icons bigger other than going back to an SE or a Color Compact… then they're too darn big!

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »
exactly. just select the smallest possible monitor resolution. :)

Offline torvan

• Veteran Member
  • Old School
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 03:45:42 PM »
Did not need Resedit. Just followed the instructions at http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2143.msg11047#msg11047

Pretty damn easy-I put in the disk and installed like I would any version of MacOS. No OpenFirmware hacks or Resedit changes to an installer. :-)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:06:56 PM »
somehow i doubt that the file you are linking to contains instructions on how to make icons bigger. :)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:04:35 PM »
http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_hd_display.html

Supports 800 by 500, 1024 by 640, 1280 by 800, and 1920 by 1200 (optimum).

I would try 1280 by 800 if image doesn't degrade too much.
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline baraktorvan

• Valued Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
No, it was a response to the pervious post about how I could get OS 9 on my FW800 Mac without using Resedit

somehow i doubt that the file you are linking to contains instructions on how to make icons bigger. :)

So I am basically stuck with the smaller icons unless I change the resolution which I hesitate to do as I want the real estate the larger resolution offers. Oh well.