Author Topic: Powercore Plugins.. still relevant on modern OS?  (Read 7427 times)

supernova777

Powercore Plugins.. still relevant on modern OS?
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »
just noticed the following noted on http://www.tcelectronic.com/powercore/ page.

With the most recent software release, PowerCore is compatible with the following operating systems:

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

The PowerCore drivers support 64-bit operating systems, but note that all plug-ins are 32-bit.

i dont have any experience with powercore plugins.. my question to all of you that have experience.. is
are the powercore plugins good enough to warrant having a powercore card installed in a more modern os?

clearly it if supports Snow leopard as noted on their site then it also supports 64 bit intel.

i remember we had one member here that had bought a powercore and then sold it off.. i thought that he figured it wasnt worth it.. or perhaps this member had some problems setting up and never got everything up + running...

my other question is to do with plugin availability + licensing..
i guess the licensing system is also shut down? the same as the UAD-1 cards were?

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Powercore Plugins.. still relevant on modern OS?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:38:37 AM »
just noticed the following noted on http://www.tcelectronic.com/powercore/ page.

With the most recent software release, PowerCore is compatible with the following operating systems:

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
    Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

The PowerCore drivers support 64-bit operating systems, but note that all plug-ins are 32-bit.

i dont have any experience with powercore plugins.. my question to all of you that have experience.. is
are the powercore plugins good enough to warrant having a powercore card installed in a more modern os?

Some of the plugins are really good. But there is native alternatives as good as PowerCore ones.

clearly it if supports Snow leopard as noted on their site then it also supports 64 bit intel.

i remember we had one member here that had bought a powercore and then sold it off.. i thought that he figured it wasnt worth it.. or perhaps this member had some problems setting up and never got everything up + running...

my other question is to do with plugin availability + licensing..
i guess the licensing system is also shut down? the same as the UAD-1 cards were?

Yes the licensing system was shut down:

In TC's words:
"from 30 November 2014, you can no longer request, download,  manage or resell PowerCore licenses from your PowerCore Account."

In my opinion the PowerCore is very good add if you have a slow G4 (around 500 Mhz), or even If you have a fast G4, but your projects need a lot of plugins effects and your mac have PCI free bandwidth.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:00:27 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 04:15:29 AM »
you know it would have been alot cooler for them - if they were going to discontinue it anyway - to give away free licenses for all these plugins.. so that they can be used... if they are discontinuing it anyway..

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 04:29:25 AM »
you know it would have been alot cooler for them - if they were going to discontinue it anyway - to give away free licenses for all these plugins.. so that they can be used... if they are discontinuing it anyway..

For sure!.
... but reality works in a different way ...

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/16328/powercore-plugins-unlock-petition-please-sign/

How I wish to have the Sony Oxford EQ VST for PowerCore  :'(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:46:53 AM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:50:45 PM »
TC to develop UAD plug-ins! From their press release: "TC Electronic, a pioneer in pro audio for nearly three decades, announces future development of its legendary audio tools for Universal Audio’s acclaimed UAD Powered Plug-Ins Platform."

apparently TC is now focusing on developing for the UAD platform!
interesting..

http://www.uaudio.com/press/releases/2014/tc-partnership

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
insert arbitrary signature here