Author Topic: Pro tools USD setup  (Read 8159 times)

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
Pro tools USD setup
« on: February 17, 2015, 05:09:42 PM »
This is my first time using a sync device. How exactly would I go about setting up the digidesign "Universal Slave Driver" as a word clock source? I've got two 888/24 interfaces currently hooked to it. The MDD doesn't have a serial port so I have it hooked to the Mix core card serial port. I've read through the Manuel but it doesn't seem to help.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
Re: Pro tools USD setup
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 11:03:56 PM »
I think you set the clock source on the USD to 'internal' ... then run BNC cable from the 'super clock' out of the USD to the 'super clock' IN on the the first 888... then connect another BNC cable from the 'super clock' out of the first 888 to the 'super clock' IN of the 2nd 888. When the 888's receive a external clock signal they should automatically switch to 'slave' mode and the red 'slave' lights come on.

I think you can set the USD clock source from within Protools using 'session setup'?? if not you can probably use the front panel of the USD.

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:18 AM »
Hi custos, well done, got your message on the other thread.

right, USD (Sync-I/O) is set up as follows:

to clarify the above from mrhappy, using the master clock bnc out from USD, connect to word clock in on unit 1, connect bnc from wordclock out of unit 1 to input of unit 2.

USD is a clock source generator and can be set up with different timecode sources.

so, with this, you now have a timecode synced pt system which will give a better time throughput.

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »
Pro tools doesn't seem to be recognising the USD. The clock was set to internal. I used the USD setup program in os9 and it keeps saying waiting for USD. I have it hooked up via the Mac serial port on the mix core card. The 888s go nuts when USD is turned on. The meter bridge lights start randomly flashing. The only option under USD settings are printer port and modem port. When one 888 runs internal and the other as slave without USD it runs flawlessly.
"A mistake is only an error. It only becomes a mistake when you fail to correct it."  -John Lennon

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »
you've set it as internal. nope. you set it external source. it's worth looking in the Peripherals setup within PT to ensure that the USD is recognised or available as a generator.  I remember using USD but through AES/EBU for clock which may be better than normal wordclock in certain circumstances.

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:37:06 AM »
Pro tools isn't recognizing it. The 888s all switch to slave though.
I made the mistake of putting a bid on two USD units. I'm still waiting on the 2nd one to come in the mail. The one I am currently testing looks like its been through hell. So there is a chance its just a faulty unit. Time will tell.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:13:04 PM by custos »

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 07:58:40 PM »
Hey Custos... I just noticed tonight that the 'cs11' update for PT 5.1.3 has some sort of fix for USD users... Are you using using that version? I can't remember off hand what the problem was that it fixed but it might be worth looking into!?

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 08:01:11 AM »
Yes that's the version I am using. I'll have to check that update out. Does anyone have a link to the update?

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 11:19:02 AM »
Its' right here on the site in the DAW download section. There is one link for 5.1.3 program and the one below that is the cs11 update. 5.1.3 has to be installed first then you drop/replace the update..., instructions are in the download and it mentions a USD prob that gets resolved with the update.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 11:58:46 AM »
http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=855.0

This might save you a 'click' or two!! ;)

Offline Custos

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 02:25:49 PM »
Thank you.

Offline mrhappy

• Platinum Member
  • new to the forums
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »
Had a look at that 'read me' file and it mostly refers to time code problems. Your 'recognition' problem is probably something else... but hey, you never know! ;D