Author Topic: IDE - IDE2SATA - Optical  (Read 5573 times)

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
IDE - IDE2SATA - Optical
« on: February 13, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »

sorry i cant find back the old thread so i start a new one.

this weeks i finally tried to connect a SATA DVD burner to the first ATA-33 port (i.e. not the free one, but the one what serves the factory pioneer drive) using a IDE2SATA.

the converter is such a dual direction thing, because i hate to have loose circuit boards hanging around in my QS.

(a current one from german supplier konrad - sorry i can not link to it because i use to block google tracking and similar sites in my host file, so i can not visit the product page.)
 :)

it didnt work. after i connected the new burner, the QS would not start, neither 9 nor X, it just freezes before system folders are searched.

i tried two different burners and i also tried to connect directly to the ATA-33 and also the ATA-100 controller right on the motherboard, always with the same result.

some weeks ago i tried to connect the SATA burners directly to the sonnet branded SATA card, which also did not work - toast would not find it as burner.

despite the fact that sone of you claimed that it would not be a problem, i now give up.

next thing to try is firewire-800 enclosures. experiences with that, anyone?
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: IDE - IDE2SATA - Optical
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 05:53:20 PM »
it didnt work. after i connected the new burner, the QS would not start, neither 9 nor X, it just freezes before system folders are searched.

It is really weird.
I've tested some different models of IDE 2 SATA including some bidirectional, I think.
I have some models that don't work on Mac Os 9, but none of them freezes the Mac at startup.

Please don't PM about things that are not private.

supernova777

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »
could u upload a picture of the adapter you are using so we can see for reference  this non-working adapter?

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 02:05:26 AM »
beware.

there are uni-directional IDE/SATA  modules out there. another factor to consider is ata/33 spec. converting it to SATA means an up-slope of data from ata/33 to SATA-1 spec, so you may have  some incompatibility issues depending on the configuration of the mainboard in question. also to do with the support of the OS in question.

ed
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

supernova777

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
I happen to vouch for that particular product. I use a very similar  unit to that in my service bag. comes out to test any hardware. the life saver of this is if you find an IDE tape drive like I have here, this works as a great tape loader, besides hard drives and optical drives. I can't recommend this enough. the advantage of this over anything else is multi connection so you have USB 3 (2.0 / 1.1 backward), Firewire 800 and 400. great for any mac. Anyone needing anything like this. BUY IT NOW! they work for me in both PPC and intel rigs, so wny not give this a go.
Blind Music Producer / Studio Engineer / Sound Designer using legacy technologies that most of today's users don't understand well enough. Rebuilding a recording studio after falling victim to a pro audio company who cleaned out an analogue studio for modern equipment upgrades that went wrong. With help from amazing people, manufacturers, etc, things are looking up. Now trying to rebuild the G3 / G4 side of the studio.

supernova777

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
ed:

its sata not IDE

converts any 5.25" sata device to usb/firewire (all formats)

Offline Ed Redfern

• Enthusiast Member
  • Blind music producer
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 12:36:20 PM »
notice I said similar model.

you're giving me the excuse now to source a SATA edition lol. you crazy fellow. you've now started a hardware hunt in the UK lol had enough CUSTOMS BILLS COMING THROUGH the mail lately. HMRC (her majesty's robbing C&^$%

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
there are uni-directional IDE/SATA  modules out there. another factor to consider is ata/33 spec. converting it to SATA means an up-slope of data from ata/33 to SATA-1 spec

i would understand that this can happen with a SSD, but with a DVD burner? and as i said, trying the ATA-100 bus didnt change a thing.

i have chosen the bidirectional solution because it was 1 euro less, now i have to pay the price for my parsimony.
insert arbitrary signature here