Poll

How do you set color depth in your Protools DAW?

256 colors. I want all my bus bandwith for audio, not for video.
1 (25%)
I've never downgraded color depth on my machine. It should not matter on my DAW.
2 (50%)
Full color. That trick was for 68k machines and my GForce 4Ti laught at all duties.
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Protools in 256 colors versus PT in true color  (Read 5557 times)

Offline Protools5LEGuy

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Protools in 256 colors versus PT in true color
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:40:50 AM »
Using the 256 colors vs full color is an urban myth?

Some folks from the performas age told me various tricks for better performance and this one is one of the most famous. Do it worth doing it on G4s?
Looking for MacOS 9.2.4

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
Re: Protools in 256 colors versus PT in true color
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 07:40:09 AM »
This is not a myth.
A 8 bits (256 colors) or 16 bits (Thousands color) screen  configuration are usually faster than 32 bits colour (Millions).
This are the results on a MDD with a Radeon 9000 PRO.
(shorter is better)

256 colors or 16 bits color configuration it is faster even in a Ti4600 than 32 bits color. Even Though in this card the differences are very short.
In less capable video Card and lower computer configurations the differences into 8/16/32 bits video are even higher.
Please don't PM about things that are not private.

Offline IIO

• Platinum Member
  • just a number
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »

@mactron: and how does the load on the radeon influence protools?  :)

i believe the color depth was only relevant when the video memory was smaller than would a big application produces when you have many windows open.
insert arbitrary signature here

Offline MacTron

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • keep it simple
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 04:40:10 PM »

i believe the color depth was only relevant when the video memory was smaller than would a big application produces when you have many windows open.

This is true. But it was only relevant in the "old world era" where most of of the Macs came with only 256k, 512k, 1Mb or 2Mb of video RAM. With 16,32,64 or 128 MB of video RAM in most of the nVidia and ATI cards this problem it is only a gamers concern :)

@mactron: and how does the load on the radeon influence protools?  :)

In a graphic environment like Mac Os 9, there is always some amount of CPU/GPU time dedicated to graphic tasks (QuickDraw). I don't know the exact amount of time that Pro Tools uses on to this. It is hard to measure. And It is different in each video card and Mac model.
But if it is 30% in a G4@500 it will be 10% in a G4@1500, and if we double the "Video Power" ( installing a faster video card or reducing the bit depth ) this will be a 15% in a G4@500 and a 5% in a G4@1500. This leaves more CPU power to Pro Tools, the Mac Operating System or any other application...
I know that Pro Tools can be run in a very complex hardware setup, with a considerable amount of DSPs, but anyway it always need to draw things on the screen :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:31:52 PM by MacTron »
Please don't PM about things that are not private.